Sticky lens paint??

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I have just got a lens out of the camera bag, it’s been sitting for quite a while maybe a year or two? When I got it out it seems that the paint on the part touching the bag has gone all sticky. I tried a bit of iso propanol on it but the paint seems to be coming off! Not enough to see though it but bad enough that it looks rubbish! Any ideas??

Regular paint or one of those polymer things like the infamous Sigma Zen finish?

Regular paint or one of those polymer things like the infamous Sigma Zen finish?
Yeah upon further inspection it is like a rubberised coating only on the bottom part of the lens housing. Funnily enough I typed in sticky canon 851.2L mk2 and guess what came up, lol

There is a known issue that the paint on some lenses is rubberised for grip, over time this breaks down. The only way to resolve the issue is to strip the paint off and re-spray it. Luckily the part comes off easily with a couple of screws and there are replacement parts on the bay for 50-80 squids so another thing to add to the list of jobs!! Lol

Back