Still cannot get it right - *but*

Ambermile

A Whole Lot of Sparkle..
Name
Arthur
Edit My Images
No
OK, there's a nice picture somewhere involving this phone box, despite the many images I have taken from every angle I have yet to find it though...

DSC_0019-cropped.jpg

However, as even more proof of the efficacy of this place for beginners, I have been playing with Photoshop and a couple of effects that I would not have even known about if they slapped me on the nose with a wet kipper... first up, the "Orton" effect, a focussed image and an out-of-focus image sandwiched together:

DSC_0019-orton.jpg

and selective colouring:

DSC_0019selective.jpg

For a lack of knowledge I have previously steered away from layers - but there comes a point where you have to hold your nose and jump right in. The above pics were really rather easy to process - I found that once you are aware of the end result required, the steps involved are in fact quite simple to derive.

Still not a great pic, but I am loving this learning new tricks stuff very much!

Arthur

Last edited:
I like the selective colour one. Could maybe do with a wee straighten up?

For me personally, i'd like to be closer and looking upwards at the phone box - as that's how i remember them.

Big bright red boxes with heavy doors.

:)

Only thing I can offer Arthur is if you are going to include the sky then it needs some detail in it. :shrug:

I like the selective colour one. Could maybe do with a wee straighten up?

Straighten? The box leans one way, the pole leans the other! That's part of the charm - this is one very old, very grubby, never used box which appears to have just been left to the elements.

For me personally, i'd like to be closer and looking upwards at the phone box - as that's how i remember them.

Big bright red boxes with heavy doors.

:)

Hmm - the cathedral approach eh? That I could do maybe - but...

Only thing I can offer Arthur is if you are going to include the sky then it needs some detail in it. :shrug:

... I'll have to wait 'till we get something a bit beter than all blue or all grey that we had recently!

Thanks for the comments, not that I expected them in this section but I do appreciate them - some nice pointers on maybe getting out of this dilemma, it's going to haunt me until I get that one image I know is there :LOL:

Arthur

Last edited:
just to point out - i really do like the selective colour one. :)

Maybe a low stance with the box in the right side of the shot and the verge coming into the shot for the bottom left leading into the box, road and trees making up the rest of the frame and wait for a car to wizz by blurred style, merely a sugestion..

its always worth trying some different crops and effects.

awe.jpg

sdfg.jpg

Mel, I have many, many images of this, far away, close up, all sides, all crops! Maybe I'm too picky :D

i dont think you are alone when it comes to crit on your own work, sometimes its always worth walking away then coming back and trying to looking at it in another prospective

True, but this damned phone box is getting like a virus all over my hard drive :LOL:

I even have it on bw and colour film!

Last edited:
time to call it a day then. pmsl.

Straighten? The box leans one way, the pole leans the other! That's part of the charm - this is one very old, very grubby, never used box which appears to have just been left to the elements.
Both appear to be leaning to the right in that one, albeit by differing amounts. I had a wee look in photoshop using the rectangular marquee tool, just in case it was my eyes.

You may be right, maybe best to walk away and *really* leave it alone for a while. Let's be honest, itcertainly isn't going anywhere fast!

Tom, you may well be correct - but this particular image was only a play-pic for the processing not the composition, which is why it is in this section.

Last edited:
Is there an angle where the box & post are isolated without the trees as a background; it may look cool in an out in the middle of nowhere kind of context?

Well, only looking down the lane really - unless I do as Chris said above and get in close and low... I could walk some way down the lane and use a longer lens maybe? That would isolate it somewhat, at least from it's immediate surroundings. Actually, that *does* sound like a plan...

DSC_00019LR.jpg

I was going for this, I dunno though. What do you think?

Umm, I am not trying to get the processing right, it's the composition I am having issues with... but thanks again for the contribution :D

Not really, the trees are better than I could get them with this one, I either burn them out or the sky's too dark!

You should just play around with the hue and saturation and all that.

Back