Still lake

S

Steve

I took this yesterday at Tutzing. This lake and area around it are fast becoming one of my favourite places to take pictures, I have never seen the lake so still though.

Canon 20D, 50mm F/1.8 @ F7.1 1/500sec handheld

Tutzing.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Hey Steve!

That's really nice. Sky seems a little washed out but I suspect that it was exactly like that!

TFS!
:)

Thanks Sammy.
Yes it does seem washed out but thats due to the haze yesterday. Normally you can see the alps in the background but as is apparent from the picture you can't even see across the lake, you can only just make out the headland.

It was still a beautiful, still day for walking around though :)

Looks like a great little spot there Steve. I like the composition here but the colours seem a wee bit flat though? I would get rid of that little black spec in the water too. What is it? Nevertheless it's still a nice shot!

Jewel

I would get rid of that little black spec in the water too

I'm guessing that it's bird swimming across as it looks like a trail of wake behind it.

I quite like it there and was wondering (if it is a bird) if Steve waited for it to move into position and chose that point to take the shot. :)

dazzajl said:
I'm guessing that it's bird swimming across as it looks like a trail of wake behind it.

I quite like it there and was wondering (if it is a bird) if Steve waited for it to move into position and chose that point to take the shot. :)

Well tha'ts just it, I was left guessing too. Is it a boat, a bird, dirt, what is it? just a distraction imo for such a calm and peaceful shot.

Jewel :)

yup, totally see what you're saying.

There's no denying it's a very powerful little spec though. ;)

I'm with Jewel on this one, lovely shot but the birds an extra

Hehe the amount of trouble a single bird can cause ;)

I waited until it was at that spot before taking the picture to add something to lead your eyes through the shot. In the small version here it is not very clear but on the full size shot it is easily recognisible :)

Comments taken on board, here's version two :)

Duck and duck's wake removed, ice removed from futher out and slight saturation increase.

Tutzingv2.jpg

Better or worse?

Steve,
I think I might be on my own here but I'm going with number one as it feels more natural and less man made through PS than number two, don't get me wrong both are great shots but it's just that number one is better IMO.

I think the look of the second one is much more 'picture postcard' but I think I'd personally have the ducky in if it was on my wall at A0 size :)

I'll third that. I can see version 2 hanging in Ikea but version 1 hanging in my office. :)

I prefer the first, as the others say the second more as a postcard.

Lovely. I think I prefer the bird and the wake which tends to emphasise the stillness of the water. No doubt it's lost a lot in reduction. :)

Great shot there - lovely and tranquil. I prefer the shot minus the bird, but think it would be better if you had left the rest of the background in there... there's just no pleasing some people is there? :p

Nicely composed shot. Gonna get me one of those 50mm soooon!

Back