Still struggling with D100

Name
Marcus
Edit My Images
Yes
My first attempt at uploading photos.

Hiya guys, I've had the Nikon(my first DSLR) 3 weeks now and have been finding it much harder to get good images than I expected. I had an Olympus Camedia 765 for 3 years and have shot film for about 30 years.
It's a surprisingly steep learning curve with the Nikon as I seem to get very few shots that I like straight from the camera and am having to learn tricks with elements that I've never used before.
Here's some of the better landscapes I've got with it - amazingly one is just about straight from the camera, I bet you can guess which :D

The Seven Sisters, on the Sussex coast between Seaford and Eastbourne
7sisters018.jpg

Another of the Seven Sisters
7sisters011.jpg

Near the end of the Gower Peninsula in Wales
Gower088.jpg

I'm having difficulty getting the editing right, guess I need more practice :D

Marc

Numer 1 has the most potential. As dave said (^), the white balance looks out. Are you shooting JPEG or RAW, manual or auto.

Yep, white balance is what I'm having most trouble with, I am shooting jpeg at the moment and not even sure if I'll be able to open raw as I only have an old version of elements.
The camera seems to want to save very cold images which I don't like so trying various settings to try and warm them up. Trouble is it's very inconsistant whatever I do. Not sure if it's the camera or me but will keep trying and see if I can do better.
Lovely camera to use but I'm finding it hard work.
Thanks,
Marc

Back