Stills Gallery "lockdown" photography course videos

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
I stumbled across these four videos which were made to encourage 16-25 year olds to make photographs during lock down. I thought they were interesting and thought provoking. I enjoyed them and certainly learnt some things.

They have the same basic structure of showing and discussing work of well known (and not so well known) photographers, and, after some coaching, assign tasks for students to undertake and share on instagram. The tutors also show some of their attempts at the task.

The emphasis is on creative thinking and seeing with very little technical content, so maybe not for everyone. e.g. the practical aspects only cover smart phones and in-phone/instagram editing tools, which makes sense given the aim of the videos.

The videos are called:

1. Storytelling

2. Find it, rip it, stick it, copy. (the most controversial as it's about making collages of existing photographs (from magazines and the Internet) and text to make "new" works of art.

3. The photographic self portrait

4. Colour, Shape, Texture.

They organisation behind the videos is the Stills Gallery's Stills School which is described as "...an alternative photography school for 16-25 year olds who face barriers to accessing the arts."

P.S. I stumbled across them because both tutors (Christina Webber and Morwenna Kearlsey) were interviewed for the Stills Gallery's lock down podcast and there was a link to these videos from Christiana's web page.

Thanks for that. I've watched a couple and on to a third. Easy to watch and interesting with some good ideas for anyone who is 'stuck to try out'. I expect quite a few TPers would hate some of the stuff shown! :D

The advice to have fun and not be precious about the results, however, should be taken on board by one and all IMO. (y)

Thanks for that. I've watched a couple and on to a third. Easy to watch and interesting with some good ideas for anyone who is 'stuck to try out'. I expect quite a few TPers would hate some of the stuff shown! :D

The advice to have fun and not be precious about the results, however, should be taken on board by one and all IMO. (y)
Glad it was worthwhile posting. I found some of the stuff a bit "challenging" but that adds to why I enjoyed it. I don't have to like something to learn from it, and you never know, with enough learning, I may begin to like it :)

I certainly enjoyed the message of feeling free to just take pleasure from doing "things photographic".

Back