Stip (rectangular) softbox vs octa?

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I am ready for my new addition to the lighting kit. I've been relying mostly on umbrellas and while they do a good job sometimes light spill ruins the shot, and so on.

I have smaller softboxes (60cm, etc) so really need something quite big or long this time. Two main applications would be interiors (replicating a window) and full length portraits - ideally good for both.

Lights are godox AD200 and at least with umbrella I found them more than powerful enough without even doubling them up. I always have that option but then ideally I will have to get one more.

Basically I'm looking at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GODOX-12...607203&hash=item5d8c2fc275:g:L~UAAOSwFC1c~wux vs https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Godox-50...951141&hash=item5d8c2fca0e:g:y~wAAOSw6Vlc~w0m unless there are even better options. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a Lencarta redline 95 Octa box (double diffuser), an old 60 cm square box (single diffuser) and have just ordered a Lencarta redline stripbox (90 x 30 ish) as well as AD200. Can post comparative pics if you like but won't get to test the stripbox till I get back from hols at the end of the month. I would say that a large 120 or 150 Octabox is more versatile though.

I also have the Lencarta 95 Octa box a very versatile bit of kit :)

I use a phot-r 120cm octo softbox with optional honeycomb.
It's big, but works for most things I want to do.
A rectangular one may be better for replicating a window though.
Will look more like a window in the catchlights than an octo.

Last edited:
I use a phot-r 120cm octo softbox with optional honeycomb.
It's big, but works for most things I want to do.
A rectangular one may be better for replicating a window though.
Will look more like a window in the catchlights than an octo.
That's my take on it - I'd prefer an octa for portraits and a square or rectangular softbox for products / interiors.

I'd also add that a stripbox isn't to be confused with a regular rectangular softbox, it's a different tool again (and yes I appreciate it's a rectangle and a softbox)

I've gone for the GODOX 50x130 in the end. On a first rough test light output seems nice and will do well for full length portraits, or anything tighter. The downsides are it is a bit involving to disassemble and it will likely be too cumbersome to handle for real estate except those big wide and expensive spaces... Probably 2 small speedlites for small bedroom or parabolic deep umbrella are quicker to work with. Also it really reduces light output so much so you have to use 2xAD200 and even open aperture a little to light a medium size space. This is certainly not an issue for portraits though.
I will likely also order the the umbrella type octa on the presumption it can be setup in less than a minute vs 3-4... Certainly not the regular one with as many as 8 or 16 rods!

I've gone for the GODOX 50x130 in the end. On a first rough test light output seems nice and will do well for full length portraits, or anything tighter. The downsides are it is a bit involving to disassemble and it will likely be too cumbersome to handle for real estate except those big wide and expensive spaces... Probably 2 small speedlites for small bedroom or parabolic deep umbrella are quicker to work with. Also it really reduces light output so much so you have to use 2xAD200 and even open aperture a little to light a medium size space. This is certainly not an issue for portraits though.
I will likely also order the the umbrella type octa on the presumption it can be setup in less than a minute vs 3-4... Certainly not the regular one with as many as 8 or 16 rods!
Always worth spending the extra for the easy up designs. In fact unless for a permanent studio I'd never recommend the old fashioned rod designs.
Your research failed miserably on this occasion.

For the price I paid and the times it will be used it's absolutely fine. I will next want to dig out a cheap parabolic umbrella for more daily things... Not happy to pay Prophoto prices!

Always worth spending the extra for the easy up designs. In fact unless for a permanent studio I'd never recommend the old fashioned rod designs.

Even in a permanent studio I would go for easy ups - Adjusting the shot you end up spending more time playing with modifiers than taking pictures & you will also then trip over them...

The ability to clear the set quickly cannot be underestimated.

Back