Stitching panoramas

Name
Ross
Edit My Images
No
Dunno whether to put this in here or equipment but here goes.

When stitching a panorama that was taken on a normal tripod and head, once stitched gives a rugby ball kinda shape image that you can then crop into.

I went and bought a pano head and found my lenses nodal point (two candle sticks on a table technique) - when I stitched the images together I expected to get a more usual rectangular image but i was surprised to find the stitched image was more of a bow tie shape, meaning I still ended to crop into it.

Is this right or do I need to play about with the nodal point?

Last edited:
The only information I can give is probably not much use but FWIW.

I don't use a pano head instead I rely on software alone to stitch images (PTgui). I have found that by keeping the horizon central throughout it gives a more or less perfect panorama. There still is a tiny bit of cropping to do, but very little, just a trim. Tilting the camera (even slightly) I have found causes the problem you describe.

This is why you need to apply Lens Correction in RAW first and then stitch the 16 bit TIFFs

Don't use a wide angle lens when shooting a panorama.
You'll get a better result by stitching several longer FL images rather than two or three Wide Angle shots.

I doubt it's t do with the tripod or nodal point - depends how you generated the pano. In PS if you select "cylindrical" you should get a pretty rectangular image. If you select the other options you often get the bow tie shape.

You could also check that the horizon is straight in the original images

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt it's t do with the tripod or nodal point - depends how you generated the pano. In PS if you select "cylindrical" you should get a pretty rectangular image. If you select the other options you often get the bow tie shape.

Dan, please do us all a favour and stop digging up old posts - this one was last posted to in june 2014 before you excavated it....

Last edited:
Back