cheers,
Andy

Stoat

stoat640.jpg

Sedge Warbler

sedgewarblerf.jpg

Common Whitethroat

whitethroatgorse.jpg

Wow x 3! All of them are great shots but the stoat is superb.

Great set of shots there - I'm with everyone else on the stoat shot - sooo cute :D

Thanks everyone. I was photographing birds in a quiet woodland spot for a couple of hours and kept thinking it was a really 'stoaty' place before it showed up... I'm hardly an expert on 'Stoaty' places, only seen two before and never got a photo of one before.

Managed about 6 photos in varying poses, the noise of the camera helped for a change, grabbing the Stoat's attention for some photogenic expressions.

Marianne said:
that stoat is cute!
minimeeze said:
sooo cute
Not if you're a rabbit ;)

cheers,
Andy

I'm disappointed that nobody's dusted off the old stoat/weasil jokes yet. I mean, it's not like it's hard to tell them apart. One's weasily spotted and the other is stoatally different.

Nice shots btw.

dont know any stoat/wessel gags, sorry!

Lovely shots though Andy, how long did you generally have to wait around for shots like those?

So are all of these scope and digital camera then? They're very sharp!

I'm only asking as one of my friends has a scope (not sure what) and I was thinking about trying to get a borrow for a bit and was wondering about using it with d70

What fantastic shots.....absolutely brilliant.

jewel said:
looks like you could reach your hand out and touch em.
Jewel

You probably wouldn't want to do that with the Stoat, your piano playing days would be over ;)

Thanks again, everyone. Just to clarify a few points raised.

The time I spend waiting for birds varies considerably from species to species, as does waiting for the right pose... the birds here are all fairly approachable, if done with a bit of stealth (get down low and move closer in an indirect manner, with frequent stops to reassure the subject and get some fall-back shots off in case you spook them)

Some birds do require you to be set-up in hiding before they arrive, only previous observation will tell you where and when.

Nope, these weren't digiscoped, they were with a Nikon D2x and 600mm f4 + 1.4x teleconverter. For webshots of this size, good digiscoped shots will be almost identical, only when printing above 10x8 will you really see much difference between dslr+lens and 4-5mp compact camera + good scope.

Dslr+lens is more adaptable in that you have AF and you're not restricted to static subjects.

cheers
Andy

Aye, it's a stoater :) :coat:

I dont think its a rabbit that stoat has its eyes on;)

Love the two bird shots, very crisp, and the poses are classic(y)

All great shots, but love the Whitethroat. :)

stoat is the digital camera photo of the day today!

Back