Stolen Kit - Nottingham

Flay 'em in public!!!

Seriously,spoke to a mate who's a cop and he says recently they've had cases where crims are surfin sites like this and looking at our "signatures" where we list all our expensive kit. .......the rest is obvious I think.

Something to think about...

If you bought something on ebay and paid the normal price would you expect to get locked up :shake:

When it comes to Receiving Stolen Goods, there are many factors to take into account. The main complication is that the prosecution have to prove that the suspect knew that the goods were stolen. Unless he pleads guilty, no suspect is ever going to say that. Instead, we have to turn to circumstantial evidence, such as:

1) Where the goods were purchased
2) How the goods were sold
3) Manner of payment
4) How much was paid

This isn't an exhaustive list.

If someone bought a £700 camera on eBay for £500 second-hand and paid via PayPal, it would be very difficult to prove that they had knowingly done anything wrong - and they probably haven't. On the other hand, buying that same £700 camera for a tenner off someone down the pub, and a prosecution becomes much more likely; expensive Nikon cameras aren't sold out the back of an unmarked white van or by dirty druggies in a bar. It's impossible to be prescriptive with the law, but innocent buyers are protected.

When it comes to Receiving Stolen Goods, there are many factors to take into account. The main complication is that the prosecution have to prove that the suspect knew that the goods were stolen. Unless he pleads guilty, no suspect is ever going to say that. Instead, we have to turn to circumstantial evidence, such as:

1) Where the goods were purchased
2) How the goods were sold
3) Manner of payment
4) How much was paid

This isn't an exhaustive list.

If someone bought a £700 camera on eBay for £500 second-hand and paid via PayPal, it would be very difficult to prove that they had knowingly done anything wrong - and they probably haven't. On the other hand, buying that same £700 camera for a tenner off someone down the pub, and a prosecution becomes much more likely; expensive Nikon cameras aren't sold out the back of an unmarked white van or by dirty druggies in a bar. It's impossible to be prescriptive with the law, but innocent buyers are protected.

Yes, I know :) And previous dodgy dealings of the person in question too. From this case I would guess that the person in question is a genuine buyer who has bought the items from someone on ebay or similar! They really would have to be thick to register something with Nikon that was clearly stolen.

Just an update to this.

I have been contacted by Nikon today to inform me that someone is trying to register the details of the D200, 50mm and 20mm. The details have been provided to the Police and they are now in contact with Nikon so, may actually get this one resolved and some of my kit back.

Glad to hear you may be getting some of your stuff back. He/she obviously doesn't know the gear is stolen or they wouldn't register it, may be just another victim (or they can't be THAT stupid, can they?). Hopefully they can point out who they bought it from.

I'm just hoping that it's not someone on here that has been fleeced.

hope you get a good outcome, bet the person registering is some poor sucker that bought from either ebay or some classifieds somewhere, has paid for it and now looks like he'll get confiscated as stolen property, fingers crossed he (or she) has got some of the sellers details.

Scumbags, i'm glad they didn't get your '700' if they knew what they were looking for they'd have had that first !

Sorry you had your home burgled and your gear stolen. That will be great if you get it back.

I have been burgled and had stuff nicked from my car. Although I was insured there were so many exclusions ( with the car insurance) and both times I had to pay an excess, so I lost out. Worst of all was feeling very vulnerable as at the time I was recently widowed and the police didnt seem that interested ( and my late husband was a copper).

Back