Stolen lenses

BBR

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently returned from hoilday in Portugal. While there someone broke into the hire car and stole my lowepro camera bag containing:

Sigma 150-500 m 10815329
Sigma 10-20m EX 2137501
Nikon 70- 300m 2174076
Nikon speedlight SB 600 2659098

Anyone buying such items secondhand may want to check the item number (listed above).

Also if you are holidaying in Portugal (or anywhere probably) I now know that you are supposed to leave the glove box open to show thieves there is nothing in it and if you have an estate car then leave the luggage cover open so they can see you have nothing in the boot. I was told this type of crime is quite common in Portugal. I have been taking foreign holidays for over 30 years and visited 14 countries. I have been robbed twice both in Portugal.

And I know you should not leave your kit in your car.......

No recriminations, just sorry you've had to go through that :)

I don't have the glove box open but I tend to keep the ashtray and centre console covers open so people can see there's a California scent air freshener in there and nothing more. Sucks that you got some stuff stolen though.

That is sad - puts a bad taste in the mouth when looking back at the holiday.

Hope your insurance at least covers the cost of replacement gear :(

Thanks for the sympathy.

I think going forward I will have to invest in a Peli case that I can padlock to the car. I don't want to be in a situation where I need some equipment that I have left at home.
Fortunately all the gear that was stolen was my older and less expensive kit and it looks like the lenses will be replaced by insurance. However you still lose all the bits and pieces you have collected over the years.

Thanks for the sympathy.
You're welcome (y) My X100 (and lots more) was burgled over Christmas and sympathy from friends meant a lot.

I think going forward I will have to invest in a Peli case that I can padlock to the car. I don't want to be in a situation where I need some equipment that I have left at home.
A peli case is a good way forward!

Fortunately all the gear that was stolen was my older and less expensive kit and it looks like the lenses will be replaced by insurance. However you still lose all the bits and pieces you have collected over the years.
That's true. For months after, I was looking for bits and pieces that I hadn't missed at the time - USB thumb drive, external hard drive, cross and chain, bike tool set etc. - and didn't put on the claim form.

Back