Wild Stonechat and Heron

Well Lee as you know the heavy crop has not helped.To me the second Stonechat is the better of the two due to slightly more eye contact,the second Heron is better as it`s sharper.Only a rough edit but putting a bit more into editing always helps.

DSC_4350_zpsngs1j5pz.jpg

To be honest, my edit looked like yours. For some reason though, when it got uploaded to the forum it sucked out all of the contrast and saturation. Thanks for the comments though. Every bit critique helps.

To be honest, my edit looked like yours. For some reason though, when it got uploaded to the forum it sucked out all of the contrast and saturation. Thanks for the comments though. Every bit critique helps.

Which book of excuses did you find that one in :D

Which book of excuses did you find that one in :D
I believe the book is called Adobe RGB / SRGB. The Web has sucked the colour. I've seen the original. [emoji1]

What Lee failed to mention was that this shot was Adobe RGB because we do our own printing. It wasn't converted to SRGB before uploading as its well known the internet uses SRGB and thus the colours became muted. See attached image for explanation [emoji6]

It wouldn't allow me to attach the image, but yes that is why.

what I have also noticed, over the past year, are the following:

1). There is usually a difference between the image posted on here and that uploaded to Flickr, so if there is a Flickr link, have a look at that
2). As @PerfectShots has mentioned sRGB is different from Adobe RGB and sRGB as far as I am aware, is the one to use when exporting the file for web posting ........ also "sharpen for the screen" can make a slight difference
3). The size of the jpeg does make a different, but that is not as noticeable as 1). and 2).
4). Probably the biggest different is in what we all see because of different monitors and seen calibrations ....... I now have an iMac 27' Retina 5K and compared with my 2009 iMac and 2010 MPB there is a noticeable difference and even just a "basic" screen calibration achieved using the built in app can make a significant difference in how the images looks.

The above needs to be taken into account when looking at (some) images.

Saying that both the above images IMHO suffer technically and composition wise, especially the Heron and if they are posted in this section they will be critically reviewed for some........ which generally helps the OP.

Last edited:
I believe the book is called Adobe RGB / SRGB. The Web has sucked the colour. I've seen the original. [emoji1]

What Lee failed to mention was that this shot was Adobe RGB because we do our own printing. It wasn't converted to SRGB before uploading as its well known the internet uses SRGB and thus the colours became muted. See attached image for explanation [emoji6]

I am fully aware of the diference between SRGB and Adobe RGB,what I do not pocess is a pair of glass balls to know that when looking at an image.So as that is the case ,why bother posting an image up for C&C knowing full well the reason it has suffered? How long does it take to convert a file? I would also question why the second Heron shot is not suffering with lack of contrast, colour and sharpness.Perhaps the web only picks on certain files to do it with,what do I know?

Last edited:
I am fully aware of the diference between SRGB and Adobe RGB,what I do not pocess is a pair of glass balls to know that when looking at an image.So as that is the case ,why bother posting an image up for C&C knowing full well the reason it has suffered? How long does it take to convert a file?
You said he was using an excuse. And he had not given thought to the fact of SRGB as he normally does not post his images online and when they do get posted to our website as i manage the site I am the one who usually uploads them in SRGB. So when he said that it had sucked the colour from the original image, instead of saying that he was using an excuse then perhaps you would of realised he had posted it incorrectly and it should of been in SRGB instead of assuming he was making it up.

You said he was using an excuse. And he had not given thought to the fact of SRGB as he normally does not post his images online and when they do get posted to our website as i manage the site I am the one who usually uploads them in SRGB. So when he said that it had sucked the colour from the original image, instead of saying that he was using an excuse then perhaps you would of realised he had posted it incorrectly and it should of been in SRGB instead of assuming he was making it up.

Let`s start again shall we? If I had a pound for every time someone on here blames the quality of their image on Photobucket,Flickr or the fact it`s been uploaded to TP I would be a rich man.So after Lee replying it was because he uploaded it to TP, this to me was no diferent in that respect,if however Lee had mentioned the fact why it happened I would have understood.So with that in mind and to satisfy yourself "I understand" What I do not understand is,if the OP is aware of the problem by doing what he did,then why not correct it?

Let`s start again shall we? If I had a pound for every time someone on here blames the quality of their image on Photobucket,Flickr or the fact it`s been uploaded to TP I would be a rich man.So after Lee replying it was because he uploaded it to TP, this to me was no diferent in that respect,if however Lee had mentioned the fact why it happened I would have understood.So with that in mind and to satisfy yourself "I understand" What I do not understand is,if the OP is aware of the problem by doing what he did,then why not correct it?
Because he wasn't aware untill I reminded him this morning as to why it does that online. And he is as work so can't rectify the image.

Anyway, now we know the reason for the washed-out appearance we can move on ... great to see the Stonechat :)

The reason I didn't rectify it is I didnt notice how badly it had affected this image untill I looked at it again this morning after you had replied. Unfortunately Ive been at work since and haven't had chance. I may change it later when I get home.

Back