Stonechat with 1920mm effective focal length

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of shots of a very obliging female Stonechat with my new 2x III extender and my 7D2 plus 600mm f4 to give 1920mm effective focal length. I was really impressed with the clarity of results on this little bird (all shots uncropped). This combination was quite a handful especially as only the centre AF point can focus, making composition tricky. This first shot is at 1/400th and still pin sharp so the IS is working overtime.

Stonechat (Female) by Mark Tyrrell, on Flickr

Stonechat (female) by Mark Tyrrell, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Fair play that really is quite amazing at that focal length

Well impressed with the image quality you have achieved there, and only at 1/400th!........I'd love to have that set up when I see the otters at Leighton Moss, always at the far side of the lake, my Tamron 150-600 (on a full frame) shows them like ants:(

Impressive shot at that focal length Mark(y)

I've had a quick google and (unless I'm wrong) on the conservative side, you're using about 9 grands worth of equipment.........I think I'd want to be a little more than impressed at that :)

I've just read that back before I hit 'post reply'. It sounds like I'm being negative, I'm not, just wondering what really is expected from the highest end equipment?

Not bad at all, Stonechats not the busiest of little birds so gives you a better chance but, as said, shows what modern glass can do :)

Very impressive for the focal length, especially like the first one :)

Thanks everyone, my only disappointment with #1 is that it was so close that I had to clip the foot off the bottom to make sure focus stayed on her eye - only 1 AF point at f8 isn't very easy to use.

They're terrific shots with a top class set up - I once had the same kit but never got to use it with the 2x mkiii, they really have hit the jackpot with the new extenders and the 7D2 just adds to the experience. As stated, the cost is high but the results do speak for themselves in the right hands. Well captured and executed, superb.

Wow very impressive at that FL...look at that feather detail!!! Still, for that money you'd hope so wouldn't you!

thats impressive

Back