South-West England Stonehenge topography question

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
Is it possible to get a shot of Stonehenge from the pothole ridden byway that runs up from the A303, just to the west of Stonehenge?

Or does the land rise up away from the byway, obscuring any view from there?

TIA

Looks unlikely.

capture3.jpg

It’s shut now, no access to it. Ruined our Salisbury Plain greenlane trips as we stared there. You can just about see the stones from the bottom end of the byway, but not a perfect view.

Must have reopened it then, was most definitely closed week before last when I went past. I’ll be going past again next week too so I’ll see it’s status then. I know there was a legal challenge to the TRO at some point as they didn’t follow procedure and just closed it.

Yeah it's open now. Yes you can get shots around the whole monument using the byeways, Theres also a permissive path running down the old road all tjhe way back to the 303, which for milky way shots is ideal.

If currently covered by a TRO the details should be on the Wilshire Council website

If currently covered by a TRO the details should be on the Wilshire Council website
The original TRO was deemed unlawfull, as they just closed without following procedure.
It's now on a seasonal/occasional TRO, so certain days like midsummer it's closed and certain events they close it.

Back