South-West England Stonehenge

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I have an itch to shoot a sunrise or sunset across Stonehenge, something that I've wanted to do for years. We are now moving to Wiltshire and I'll be about 20 minutes away, but looking at the site on Google maps, I think it will be difficult to get anywhere near the site outside of opening hours.

Does anybody know of a location where I could potentially shoot the stones from distance, using a telephoto lens? Do they have "photo experiences" at the site at all?

There's a public path just inside the entrance to the visitor centre so you can't be refused access.

Go up the road a few yards and on your left there's a stile. Go up around the woods at the top of the hill (some barrows around there) and then you'll come out above the stones.

You can shoot from side of A303 with a 80-200 easily or wait until solstice and go with 15,000 others for free and have access all areas including inside the stones

Thanks for the feedback.

Next time i'm down there I'll take a quick rece...

Re: A303 aspects

The last time (a few weeks ago) we drove through to relatives down that way, it struck me that for whatever reasons the few side tracks (MoD, Wilts cc, private ownership???) where some folk managed to park up for the road aspect views.........were all closed off with substantial metal 5 bar gates.

The tracks are byways and as such should be open to all traffic, but have been closed to vehicles. Presumably EH felt that a line of camper vans several fields away was spoiling the isolation they seem to think Stonehenge should be condemned to, and an underhand way to get more money out of their car park of course. This is an 'experimental' (18 month) closure, but........
Don't even start me on this tunnel nonsense...................:banghead:

The tracks are byways and as such should be open to all traffic, but have been closed to vehicles. Presumably EH felt that a line of camper vans several fields away was spoiling the isolation they seem to think Stonehenge should be condemned to, and an underhand way to get more money out of their car park of course. This is an 'experimental' (18 month) closure, but........
Don't even start me on this tunnel nonsense...................:banghead:

Ah! for temp closure the gates look quite substantial !

I also noticed ( and first saw this some months back) that there is a drilling rig working [various inline points along the A303 route] in the fields to the LHS as you go westards................yet to get to the piggies field. Is that test drilling for ground conditions re: tunneling?

Ah, Stonehenge. Where the demons dwell. Where the banshees live and they do live well.

(No help for the OP I'm afraid, but I keep seeing "Stonehenge" rising up the front page and all I can think about is the song... Apologies...)

Back