stop errors in xp

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
im having real problems on my pc at the moment, i keep getting stop errors, totally random times, sometimes when its idling, sometimes when i click anything,

the error is normally 0x0000008e, but sometimes has 0x0000000d and various combinations

ive changed ram, and thats made no difference..im running all the latest drivers, this problem has been going on since christmas....

suggestions welcomed!

You could check its not overheating, and do a scandisk for corrupted files.

ive got a core at 38degrees

tried knowledgebase with all error codes im getting, the ones ive got havent come up, all i have is driver errors, but thats not all of them. im beginning to suspect fubar Mobo

Tried a re-install?

You have probably googled it already but I found this -

>>>>
A STOP 0x0000008e is a KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler
didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues
(which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages
that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing bug
check 0x1E. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve
the error. You should also run hardware diagnostics, especially the
memory scanner, supplied by the system manufacturer
<<<<

Bios updated to latest?
Saw firewire mentioned as a possible culprit elsewhere.

What rating is the power supply? Fans on it still working no dust / fluff anywhere? Does it ever do it when cold from startup? Same with the case open?

Added any new hardware or programs when it started?

I've been googling also, and this suggests a couple of things to investigate.

hi matty
had this very problem with the boss's computer a couple of months ago, after many hours slogging over the internet, messing with it, turned out to be the RAM knackered. Put some new RAM in, perfect..

I would suggest you check your graphics card drivers. Although cards are working they are often the cause of the BSD. Try the latest srivers. HTH/

regards

thanks for your efforts guys

this rig has been running fine with the current hardware for over a year, the latest upgrade was a 80gb harddisk way before chrimbo, but ive only had the issue since

i changed memory, the bios is the latest version and the drivers are all microsofts latest, i will try a new install i think, see if that fixes it!

Just a thought Matty when I built my PC about 4 years ago one of the RAM slots appeared duff and I managed without that slot filled for yonks. I later found out it's OK, but if for any reason I need to remove the RAM from that slot, I can put it in and out a couple of dozen times before it seats properly. Worth checking mebbe?

The only thing against that is I've always found that faulty RAM results in no signal to the monitor.

There's an application called memtest86 http://www.memtest.org/ that you create a bootable CD from the supplied image and boot off it and leave it to run for a few hours (like 24h).

It runs through various tests to see if you memory is at fault. You should leave it for a while so that it can detect overheating issues. You should get zero errors. I think I got something like 14.5 million errors, kinda indicated broken memory that since I've had replaced has never crashed.

Worth a try and only costs a blank CD.

HTH :)

DJW said:
Good excuse to buy a new PC ;)

yup..heh

event viewer has no errors :banghead:

i think i may as well take the oppertunity, im running an old jetway board witha via chipset, 512mb ram, with an xp 1700+ amd, so i might just upgrade to something a little swifter,

thanks again guys, i will have a go at some of these suggestions tonight:thumb:

xp 1700+ xp 1700+ !!! ....oh I dream of one of those.....me with a 950, living in box on street getting up before i go to bed ...........

Matty, not sure if this is coincidence or not, but my wife and my pal both have the 80 gig drives, both were fairly new, and we both got the same error within a week of each other, it SEEMS to be that when the harddive is filling up with data at some point its causing a serious crash (the blue screen of death), we formatted my pals hard drive, he put everything back on, then when he got to the same amount of data again, bang it all went, so piled data onto wifes hard drive and same thing. Dodgy drives for us.

Make sure you set your Temporary Internet Files space to 1Mb and tick the "Clear Temp Internet Files when browser closes" in Advanced. Otherwise IE will try to take over 20%+ of your drive!

Carl.

So far my Mac has been well behaved other than user error! What's a PC?

DJW said:
xp 1700+ xp 1700+ !!! ....oh I dream of one of those.....me with a 950, living in box on street getting up before i go to bed ...........
XP1700+ doesn't actually run at 1.7GHz, its nearer 1.4GHz. So it isn't much faster than what you've got, really.

now now kids, no Mac/pc fanboism until i decide which side of the fence im going to jump too...

still fubar...

Barry are you running older motherboards? might need a bios update...

ok lets go back to basics shall we?

Remove all hardware from the machine except what is absolutely necessary for the machine to function.

Bare minimum would be:

RAM (use as little as possible)
GFX
CPU
1x hard drive
PSU
MOBO

Remove gfx card and re-seat. Remove RAM and re-seat. Unplug HDD data leads and re-seat. Unplug all power leads from the PSU to the mobo and drives and re-seat.

Unplug any USB devices and if possible use a PS2 keyboard and mouse. If the motherboard uses onboard sound then disable it in the bios.

Boot the machine. Use normally. Does the problem still occur?

If yes, download latest motherboard BIOS and flash. Grab the latest chipset drivers from Intel/VIA/etc and load those.

Reboot the machine. Use normally. Does the problem still occur?

If yes, try ram in different slot. Use normally, does problem still occur?

If yes, change the gfx card if possible. Use normally, does problem still occur?

If the answer is no between any of these steps - start plugging back in other drives (cd rom, dvd, hard drives), sound card, usb devices etc etc but do it one by one until the problem occurs again and then you have found your culprit.

My guess is that something is not seated correctly on the motherboard, or faulty hardware.

Hope this helps :D

thanks evilowl, seeing as my car has lunched its engine (yes, the mondeo on the m20 hardshoulder with a big oil patch under it and smoke coming from the engine was me)i have a day free of the pressures of work, so i can do this, though i know that i have the latest bios, i tried to find a more upto date one but there isnt one!

fun fun fun!

evilowl said:
and for the record, OSX pwnz Windows

OSX so wants to be windows...:whistle2:

SammyC said:
There's an application called memtest86 http://www.memtest.org/ that you create a bootable CD from the supplied image and boot off it and leave it to run for a few hours (like 24h).

It runs through various tests to see if you memory is at fault. You should leave it for a while so that it can detect overheating issues. You should get zero errors. I think I got something like 14.5 million errors, kinda indicated broken memory that since I've had replaced has never crashed.

Worth a try and only costs a blank CD.

HTH :)

Matty, seriously, try this memory tester just to rule out dodgy memory. It saved me weeks of stress.

SammyC said:
Matty, seriously, try this memory tester just to rule out dodgy memory. It saved me weeks of stress.

i swapped out the memory, but new stuff in that i had but hadnt been arsed to install, however im game, lol, so i will give it a whirl

i uplugged and reseated the Graphics card, hoovered it all out again and unplugged all the usb devices, so far so good, interestingly the computer seems to have lost the slight lag it had, for example all the rollover stuff does its stuff instantly now, unlike before, so im wondering if the 4 port usb hub was causing issues, it was sharing some resources with other stuff....

Update later...waiting for my brand new 3 door corsa:)hissyfit: )to turn up so i can go looking for a nice shiney TD focus :woot:

I know how you feel Matty, my main Hdd gave a click on tuesday night and failed, just like that :(

Reinstalled everything on a new hdd and now critical update 14 of 36 is causing boot up problems. Keeps saying ntldr is missing.

gah, big PITA innit

Matty said:
gah, big PITA innit
Yep, but strangely a bios update fixed it. beats me as it updated fine before using the old bios :banghead: :confused-

i cant even find the old bios for mine, let alone a new one

getting 0x0d1 errors now
reinstall today i think

Oh, I forgot to mention, that memtest program also detects errors in motherboards i.e. memory problems caused by broken motherboards.

As a jovial anecdote on BIOSes I tried to flash my BIOS on xmas day, it failed, so rebooted and dead, nothing.

I forgot to flash the original BIOS back :embarasse

Had to buy a new motherboard. :p

tried reinstalling, get a stop error at the same point everytime, so now wont boot, tried all sorts, but nothing works, tried new memory, that doesnt make any difference

so!

Cheap barebones, or mobo/mem/cpu bundles....suggestions please!

If you want cheap try Dell

Alternatively heres the link to Dabs list of computers, change it to price ascending and it should start at &#163;155

Depends what you want - if you want a "Real" barebones system where you install your own CPU, HDD, RAM, etc then it will be cheaper.

If you feel confident or you have the experience I would however recommend getting the parts you want and building it yourself.

Agree with Warspite. I would look at nVidia based mobo is you are following the AMD rather than Intel route. I've had a couple of VIA based bords recently and they've given me trouble with recognising USB2 ports.

It's a known problem, some boards just work fine, other ona dn off, and others not at all. BTW, I have a VIA KT800 based board and its happy this time.

Weird!

ok chaps, will check out dabs, looked at dell last night...

A word of advice about dabs, If you get the parts and don't have any problems with them they're great.......If you have to return or query anything you will find out how bad they are.

I have had problems with them in the past and defiantly wont be dealing with them ever again

Do a search on google for dabs customer support

I would look at other suppliers, I personally favour CCL

Back