Stop Motion Bowling

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
This is a slightly shortened version, the original includes the run up aswell. But it would make the cricketer to small if i posted it here.

This was taken at 3.5fps, it is the Fastest my Olmypus E-520 can do :thumbsdown:

5004587265_89479c4682_o.jpg

Last edited:
I'm finding that really confusing :LOL:

How is this done? 8 separate images and then merged in PS somehow?

Pretty much exactly that. In CS4&5 (not sure about 3) you use the Photomerge tool under Automate and Photoshop goes into a half hour plus spasm whilst it processes the end result.

I've used it with reasonable end results for producing sequence shots of horses jumping, but usually find that a bit of fine tuning is needed to adjust the final image.

With that in mind, can I make a couple of suggestions Alex?

I'd mask out the last position of the bowler, as it doesn't really add that much (maybe cropping out the Mid Off as well), and I'd also try to find the ball in the last two captures and bring it back in again, to show the flow of the movement and action.

As Dods says the background is a bit confusing, but to maintain the realism there is not a great deal that you can do about it....

Except.... I'd be tempted to do a second version to sit alongside the original, with all of the background masked out and just the bowler showing on a plain white canvass (or maybe mid grey given the cricketing whites!). It would be quite a bit of extra work, but worth it in the end I'd reckon. Think of it as an Eadweard Muybridge like panorama! :D

Nice photo all the same!

Last edited:
Thanks DemiLion, i might give that ago! As you said i kept it with the background as it felt more authentic. I considered removing the Umpire and bastmen but it would have lost the realism.

I did use Photomerge in CS3 but had too few of the bowler, in my picture he appears 8 times but Photoshop could only get in 4. Which missed out on many of the good action shots, so i had to do some editing.

hmm lovley idea.
i personally think the two players in the background ruin it a bit (well alot actully :p), try and get a clear background and redo it, i feel this is "close but no cigar" photo, if you do it again i would love to see. i think it could be great

Nicely done.

'Left arm over the wicket' bowler - I used to hate facing that.

One thing the f/ps does show is that the bowler missed a stumping in frame 4 !

Back