Beginner Stops on a flash

Edit My Images
Yes
Quick flash question - if flash A has to be 1 stop less than flash B how does that equate to power settings on the flash please?

The number has to be set to half of the other flash if in manual. I.e. 1/16 vs 1/8 (just like ISO or SS).
If in TTL then the FEC needs to be set to -1 EV.

But both of those assume the flashes are at the same distance. Distance affects flash power/exposure similarly to the way aperture affects exposure. If they are set to the same power and one is at 4ft, then placing the second flash at 5.6ft would be 1 stop less. And placing it at 8ft would be two stops less.

The more questions I ask the more confused I get! :)

I understand about the distance aspect, this question related to lighting the background with one speedlite and the subject with another with the tutorial saying that ideally the background light should be no more than one stop more than the subject light.

That's "no more than one stop more than the subject light" getting back to the camera; and it's not going to be simply power setting related.

The easiest way to do it is to light the BG first and get the exposure set so that it's "white" (right edge of the histogram/starting to clip). Once that's done, place your subject an adequate distance away from the BG and light it/them for proper exposure (camera settings constant).

A stop of light is a factor of two (1/2 or 2x) for SS, ISO, and flash power.
A stop of light is *also* an EV (exposure value).

Hey WelshNoob.

I struggled with this for AGES, until I watched David Hobby's (from www.strobist.com, awesome site) DVDs, he just keeps adjusting distance/power levels until it LOOKS right. He uses the histogram and the images on the LCD screen to make a judgement. After a while, you start to develop and instinct for the right settings (as with anything I guess).

Remember that any tutorial settings should be used as guidance only, light is always different and you'll want to add your own interpretation. If it has to be exactly 1 stop more, I would do what Steven says; get your background to white, then turn that flash off, keep the camera settings the same, and get a correct exposure for the subject with your main flash. Then have them both turned on, take the pic, and see if that works.

PB

Back