Storage

Name
Karl
Edit My Images
Yes
So I'm going to be off travelling in the summer for a couple of weeks and will be taking plenty of photos and videos of the journey, and have the dilemma now that I need to store my files on the move, I don't really want to take my laptop because it is too bulky, and I don't really want to take loads of SD Cards as i'll probably just lose them.

Does anyone know of portable hardrives that can take SD cards so I can upload as I fill up the cards?

Thanks in advance

£250 buys a lot of SD capacity.. . I'd go with more SD cards and a decent protective case to organise them in.

£250 buys a lot of SD capacity.. . I'd go with more SD cards and a decent protective case to organise them in.

Yeh that's what i'm thinking, been searching the web all day and there was hardly anything, probably will just overload on SD cards.

It is a bit weird that they aren't cheaper seeing as though you can get a 1tb harddrive for under £100 but if you want the capacity to put SD Cards in it you have to pay nearly double! :wacky:

Anyways cheers, for the help(y)

For that money surely you could buy a cheap netbook for around 220 quid? The acer aspire one pops into my head, guess its a bit bigger but at least you get a decent sized hard drive, good screen and you can browse the internet when u find some wi-fi. This is my plan when I go off travelling.

I got an Epson multimedia viewer thingy (P2000 - 40gb) got it used from a dude on Amazon (for a good deal) upgraded it to accept SDHC cards via a CF adapter for when we went to the US last year didn't really use it as had 3 CF cards with me - but something like that could be of use as then you could view your pictures.... Its just a thought...

I used to use a netbook for backup storage while in Africa. But the Hyperdrive is better in several important ways.
  • It's smaller - about 1/4 the size of a netbook plus power supply.
  • It's faster - transfers data from card to drive at around three times the speed of a netbook with USB reader.
  • It has much better battery life - about twice as long.
  • It's less likely to get stolen - it looks like a crappy MP3 player.

And with two of them you have real, proper, backup. My friend takes hers and I take mine and we each back up to each other's as well as our own. If one deviced fails we sill have t'other.

canon M80
ive got one and a load of spare battries to take to Afghanistan
will be great for being in remote areas without a laptop

When I went to Costa Rica I used a back up device that copied my cards, but I also didn't delete the cars, it isn't backed up if there's only one copy.

I got a drive caddy with various card slots and supplied my own hard drive, it cost about £25. However, I think in the future I'll use my iPad.

I use two WD 1tb Passport Drives + Nomad cases to back up from my 13" laptop when on longer trips. Shorter trips I just buy loads of cards, 16gb Class 10s can be had for around £10-15 now, grabs 5-6 of these and you have a lot of storage and with my D7000 you can shoot to two cards (instant back-up)

Laptop hard drive in a USB case attached to my Acer W500 tablet does it for me. That way I have the images stored in two different places and I have internet access.

For belt and braces I also have a 64GB flash drive to provide a second backup option.

I've already got a netbook + USB HD, which works very well. I'm just trying to save bag space :)

Are you trying to save space or weight?

If it's weight, try a jacket with a lot of pockets. It's surprising how much weight you can transfer into pockets...

Space really, it's not that i've got extra stuff that I want to pack but can't. I'd just like to consolidate the Netbook+USBHD+Charger in to something smaller if possible. But considering I already have a netbook, and the portable storage devices look to be around £300 (I cant find any of them enclosures where you provide your own hard drive :( ) I should probably just stick with what I have.

Space really, it's not that i've got extra stuff that I want to pack but can't. I'd just like to consolidate the Netbook+USBHD+Charger in to something smaller if possible. But considering I already have a netbook, and the portable storage devices look to be around £300 (I cant find any of them enclosures where you provide your own hard drive :( ) I should probably just stick with what I have.

The portable storage options are expensive when you can get a laptop or tablet for pretty much the same price and have all the functionality that a computer offers as well as the storage.

CCL do a number of enclosures. http://www.cclonline.com/product/61...-Enclosure-with-Integrated-USB-Cable/HDD0732/ is an example.

The portable storage options are expensive when you can get a laptop or tablet for pretty much the same price and have all the functionality that a computer offers as well as the storage.

A laptop is cool if you don't mind the extra weight and only having the one backup option. Travel to some of the more interesting parts of the world normally means tight restrictions on weight and limited opportunities to pop down the shops for spares and repairs.

The size difference between a PSD and a netbook is enough for an extra (small) lens.

A laptop is cool if you don't mind the extra weight and only having the one backup option. Travel to some of the more interesting parts of the world normally means tight restrictions on weight and limited opportunities to pop down the shops for spares and repairs.

The size difference between a PSD and a netbook is enough for an extra (small) lens.

I've never been able to get a lens in my laptop sleeve :( (Joking obviously :D ) I wouldn't have thought you would have any more issues with a netbook than a PSD if you have the room to take it. They both require power, both are not simple to repair if they die, and both only offer one option unless you buy external hard drives/multiple PSDs

A laptop is cool if you don't mind the extra weight and only having the one backup option.

Take an external USB hard drive and a 64GB flash drive like I do and you have additional backups that take up minimal space and weigh almost nothing.

Travel to some of the more interesting parts of the world normally means tight restrictions on weight and limited opportunities to pop down the shops for spares and repairs.

Antarctica 'interesting' enough? The tablet and external hard drive went with me earlier this year. They've also been to Central and South America and will be going to Turkey, India and Asia later this year. No problems with weight if you pack carefully and have plenty of pockets. Given the choice between making sure I've got adequate backup and leaving some clothing at home, backup wins every time. I can always have some laundry done, I can't go back to replace lost images.

You'll find that an extra (small) lens will fit quite neatly into a pocket for a flight. I usually travel with my 60D, Sigma 150-500, 18-250 and 10-20 and 430 EXII. The tablet, 10-20, spare batteries, SD cards, chargers and flash go in my pockets and the rest in my camera bag inside my carry on.

As far as pockets are concerned, I have a jacket similar to the one at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portwest-...pt=UK_Men_s_Coats_Jackets&hash=item1c28f50b3c

Back