Storbist lighting question!

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
This question could well have been asked over and so sorry if thats the case but I am going to ask anyway. :shrug:

I have recenlyy found the world of strobist and am playing around with people photography.

Bearing in mind that I have strobist style kit, what would you recommend as the best setup for a full lenght high key style portrait?

Rob

what actual kit do you have??
you are going to sturggle if you only have 2 flashguns i would imagine without lots of pp work.

what do you mean by high key??

It is possible yes.

You need to fire two guns and perhaps push your histogram to the right and the push it further in PP to give you the high-key look. Here are some examples I shot back in the summer. 2 flash guns left and right at subject. Dont forget the background and something as cheap as a white blanket can help, if ironed. Cheap tranny brollies can help spread the light and defuse it too. That should give you the set up you are looking for. As an example, these were shot in somebodies front room.

2858083194_78bd1b6740.jpg

2858115940_95c785eaca.jpg

2858249914_6f3a76a98a.jpg

I have 3 flashguns, but could borrow a few more from a good friend. So have access to a variety of flashes, all with manual adjustment.

I have lighstands and 2 shoot thru brollies.

I am after a bright, vivid photo, with a decent white background, minimal shadows if that makes sense?

Sorry If i'm not coming acreoss very clear!

Diego,

Thets the kinda look I am after only colour and full length. Do I enderstand right in that you only used 2 flashes?

I have 3 flashguns, but could borrow a few more from a good friend. So have access to a variety of flashes, all with manual adjustment.

I am after a bright, vivid photo, with a decent white background, minimal shadows if that makes sense?

Sorry If i'm not coming acreoss very clear!

See my post - must have cross post.

Sorry mate, edited as soon as I saw you had posted!

No problem. Yep, only two from each side. You can put one above and in the middle if you have three but I have got this stuff done with two flashes. I think you need to have a play really and take it from there. It is pretty easy to get sorted once you have the camera set up.

No problem. Yep, only two from each side. You can put one above and in the middle if you have three but I have got this stuff done with two flashes. I think you need to have a play really and take it from there. It is pretty easy to get sorted once you have the camera set up.

Cheers pal,

Watch this space then. I'll post some up when I get chance to do some.

Other than lack of knowledge, my main problem at the moment is finding a space to shoot. I only have a little flat!

I am no expert in this area but some people reckon it is too difficult to light a full length portrait with battery powered strobes. I would probably try to scrounge a couple of studio heads and get some big ass softboxes on them to get a nice, full length light spread. You may even need a third heard to blow out the background.

I am no expert in this area but some people reckon it is too difficult to light a full length portrait with battery powered strobes. I would probably try to scrounge a couple of studio heads and get some big ass softboxes on them to get a nice, full length light spread. You may even need a third heard to blow out the background.

I have read that, but also seen some done with flashguns. Unfortunately I don't have access to studio heads so i'll have to try and see what happens.

Back