Storing pictures online

Name
Fabien
Edit My Images
Yes
Where you suggest I store my raw pictures online to save space on my laptop?

Why don't you consider using an external drive. That way, you'll have space and copies.

Di

Only because I am looking for a free way to store pictures.
External drive may be an option but not for now

got to agree with Di, in the long term, an external drive would prove more cost effective, especially for RAW size files.

got to agree with Di, in the long term, an external drive would prove more cost effective, especially for RAW size files.

As he wishes to free up space on his laptop ideally he would need two EHD's (still cheaper than online storage), one has a backup unless he is happy to put all his eggs in one basket and risk losing them all.

Only because I am looking for a free way to store pictures.
External drive may be an option but not for now

Free storage like Flickr and other free storage sites only covers jpegs, you can upload Raw to flickr but they are automaticlly converted to jpeg and you lose the raw files. So you are going to have to bite the bullet and get a EHD or pay for storage of raw files.

Personally, I wouldn't trust backing my files up to anyone other than myself.... long term, as Paul says, the external HD with a 2nd as backup is definitely the safest option! Probably the most cost effective too.

Personally, I wouldn't trust backing my files up to anyone other than myself.... long term, as Paul says, the external HD with a 2nd as backup is definitely the safest option! Probably the most cost effective too.

I've never really understood that view point. Do people really believe that companies, whose very existence is based entirely on their ongoing online presence don't have a backup plan of their own & leave everything unbacked up on one hard drive?

Last edited:

I have to agree 100.00% with this view point, I want full control of all my files and with all the crap that is going on in the world today anything could happen.

with all the crap that is going on in the world today anything could happen.

Tinfoilhats.jpg

Don't forget, if you are going to use external hard drives, disconnect when not backing up and keep in a different location to the PC!
I keep one drive at home in a small fire/water proof box and another is kept at work.
I do also use Google Drive, but that just syncs a folder so doesn't actually free up room. I use it to store a full resolution jpeg of just my edited RAWs, but mainly for convenience if I want them away from home.

I've never really understood that view point. Do people really believe that companies, whose very existence is based entirely on their ongoing online presence don't have a backup plan of their own & leave everything unbacked up on one hard drive?
I can definitely see where you coming from, but call me old school in that if anything goes wrong, then at least the buck stops with me. I just prefer to sort my data storage myself!
Also, as the OP Fabien had asked the question about online storage for RAW files, I would think the most cost effective solution would be to use external hard drives. Then there is the question of uploading large(ish) file and bandwidth speeds etc?

Just after a quick peruse on the interweb, I came across SMUGVAULT, apparenty an Amazon service. there costs are as follows, lifted from there website:
  • Storage costs $0.09 per gigabyte per month. If you upload the contents of a 4 GB memory card, you'll be out $0.36 per month for storage.
  • There is a $1/month recurring charge.
  • Data transfer in is free. Data transfer out is 12 cents per gigabyte.
  • Monthly addition to your home electrical bill: Zero.
This could possbly be an option.....

Google Drive 1Tb is $10 a month. Choose someone thats likely to be here when you need it, but your own physical backup copies are good too.

Online requires bandwidth and not everyone has unlimited bandwidth, not to mention the time required sending and receiving files.

I can definitely see where you coming from, but call me old school in that if anything goes wrong, then at least the buck stops with me. I just prefer to sort my data storage myself!
Also, as the OP Fabien had asked the question about online storage for RAW files, I would think the most cost effective solution would be to use external hard drives. Then there is the question of uploading large(ish) file and bandwidth speeds etc?

Thats fair enough. It costs me about £100/pa for limitless (in theory) online backup. It does depend very much on having fast internet speeds available

Thats fair enough. It costs me about £100/pa for limitless (in theory) online backup. It does depend very much on having fast internet speeds available
at the end of the day, it's horses for courses, but at £100 pa that equates to less than £2 per week, with no initial outlay..... sounds good to me..... not free, but cheap enough, and as you say these big companies supplying a storage service online should be geared up in case anything fails on their part :)

The big advantage of on-line storage is it should be 100% reliable, certainly more reliable than most home back-ups, and is immune to theft, fire and flood.

If you store everything on-line, including every single Raw, then that'll add up to a lot of data, but if it's only the real keepers, perhaps just as final JPEGs, then that should be pretty cheap. Must get around to doing that sometime - probably the day after I've just had a disaster.

I don't see online storage as any better - or worse - than external hard drives, though the latter is faster and (to me at least) easier to keep organised. They just have different failure mechanisms. If you see the cloud as safe then consider this:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/18/code_spaces_destroyed/
I use two hard drives - unfortunately in the same location :-( - but also backed some things to dropbox etc (though not RAW images).

Thought I'd add another tip - NEVER plug in a removable hard drive and boot the machine. I did that when recovering after my old XP box expired (7 years heavy use, no complaints). However with the Win8 replacement, I removed one drive and plugged in the backup then switched on - and Win8 (which had been hibernated) wrote part of the previous drive's data onto the backup drive totally and un-recoverably nuking it. I know this is a bit beyond OP's original question though.

TTFN,
Jon

Back