Storm Photography advise

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
As we have a severe storm warning for Sat day/night i want to be one of those that hang out of the bedroom window getting excellent shots of the lightening :)
So suggestions please as to what setting to use.
D7000 50mm f1.8

Ta....

Not something i have done, but i would set on a tripod with a nice framing, set the camera at lowest iso, aperture narrowed to get necessary depth of field - hopefully these settings will give you a reasonable long exposure in the 10s of seconds. Then attach a shutter cable and leave it shooting for the duration of the storm and hope you get some nice strikes!

Oh and probably turn long exposure off.

1. Install a Rain radar App on your smartphone.
  2. Rush out to your favourite hill, viewpoint, when the storm is closing in.
  3. Tripod, raincoat, camera covering, lens wiper, all at the ready.

Lightning stuff ive done is long(ish) exposure of 4-10 seconds, mid iso and aperture but it varies. Too long and the lightning burns out completely. Also if there's any ambient light you'll get blur as trees etc move with wind. It's trial and error depending on the storm distance and so on.
Camera on a tripod, pre-focused to infinity and locked and continuous shot selected and just leave it go with a remote release locked on.

Also worth noting the UKs idea of "severe weather" is incredibly benign so it might not be great anyway.

Some examples:-

Nice night for a boat trip? by WhitcombeRD, on Flickr

8 seconds, 1/6.3, ISO400 taken in the middle of the night with no ambient (to give you a feel for how bright lightning is)

People watching a thunder storm
by WhitcombeRD, on Flickr

15s, f/3.5, ISO800 and its overdone. Lightning is burnt out and the people are motion blurred/ghosted - a shorter shutter speed and/or ISO would have helped massively here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, Looks like the 7000 may get a little wet then if it does storm around Northants.

Scott, looks like another gadget i may have to add to the bag :)

Hi,
As we have a severe storm warning for Sat day/night i want to be one of those that hang out of the bedroom window getting excellent shots of the lightening :)
So suggestions please as to what setting to use.
D7000 50mm f1.8

Ta....

It really is as simple as this.

Use settings that give you the absolute longest shutter speed you can for the correct exposure... so lowest ISO.... smallest aperture... and then select the speed to give correct EV. Tripod... cable release... take the shot... then hope you get a strike in the frame. If not, as soon as the shutter closes, open it again... rinse and repeat until you get a strike in frame.

It really is as simple as that... technically that is. However... a shot just taken from your bathroom window will be crap.. unless your bathroom overlooks something to make a suitable backdrop, otherwise it's just a technical exercise.

It really is as simple as this.

Use settings that give you the absolute longest shutter speed you can for the correct exposure... so lowest ISO.... smallest aperture... and then select the speed to give correct EV. Tripod... cable release... take the shot... then hope you get a strike in the frame. If not, as soon as the shutter closes, open it again... rinse and repeat until you get a strike in frame.

It really is as simple as that... technically that is. However... a shot just taken from your bathroom window will be crap.. unless your bathroom overlooks something to make a suitable backdrop, otherwise it's just a technical exercise.

Thanks, Better dust off the tripod and dig out the shutter release :)
Won't rain now :(

1. Install a Rain radar App on your smartphone.
  2. Rush out to your favourite hill, viewpoint, when the storm is closing in.
  3. Tripod, raincoat, camera covering, lens wiper, all at the ready.
Any recommendations for a decent UK rain radar app? And for 3. I'll use a van with a side loading door or nice big tail gate to keep the kit dry. :)

This is a good lightening one that I use on the PC but can't find an app for it. http://en.allmetsat.com/images/lightning-united-kingdom.php

Last edited:
don't stand on a high point clutching a large pointy metal object (like a tripod) ... sounds flippant but there's a serious point there too

don't stand on a high point clutching a large pointy metal object (like a tripod) ... sounds flippant but there's a serious point there too

Radio remote release is useful here :) Bear in mind that the hot shrapnel from your exploding camera can still probably kill you though if you're near to it.

Life contains risks (shrug).. just be sensible.

also avoid standing on the top of a mountain in a thunderstorm stood naked in a metal bath while cursing all the gods and waving a metal spear in one hand and flying a kit in the other....

Back