Stormy Weather

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
Took myself down to the beach for some wave photography action this afternoon. Despiting skies being grey, dark and laden, the trusty Fuji S5600 handled the poor lighting surprisingly well (although Lightroom had a little bit of hand in it!).

1)

Novgale3.jpg

2)

Novgale2.jpg

3)

Novgale1.jpg

Incidentally, the first and second image got shown on a regional news programme on BBC!

All in all, this is one forecast I'm very glad to have got right. And lucky that it occured on my day off work.

Last edited:
Nice one Ian

3 good shots there

love the look of # 3 purely because it looks so violent !

the colour of the water in the second one is typically british though

Took myself down to the beach for some wave photography action this afternoon. Despiting skies being grey, dark and laden, the trusty Fuji S5600 handled the poor lighting surprisingly well (although Lightroom had a little bit of hand in it!).

I have the Fuji S9500, cracking camera to (y)

Some excellent moody shots there

Beautiful captues Ian, the 3rd is my fave!

The 1st looks like it could do with a little contrast boost to me but both #1 and #2 are good and sharp and catch the action nicely!

#3 for sheer power though :)

Cheers for all the positive comments everyone! Certainly was worth getting wind blasted and salt-coated for it. :puke: :LOL: :D

You are very brave out in the weather this week. I have only been out when I had to. You have got some dramatic shots. I particularly like number 3 with the huge wave. Well done for getting the other 2 on TV.

Love the wave shot Ian..

Incidentally, how DO you forecast big waves, id like to get some shots but im never by the sea when its rough! but if i knew when it was going to be id take a trip..

thanks..

What this set of photos has taught me is to not be phased by poor weather. These shots in my humble opinion portray real life, ok so the weather is rubbish but it comes with the territory living in the UK.

If I kept my camera in my bag and only brought it out in good weather, I think I would class myself as a poor photographer.

You have captured people doing what they do despite the elements, why should I be any different to the canoeist or the surfer.

Good on ya for getting out there. I absolutely love these three images.

Love the wave shot Ian..

Incidentally, how DO you forecast big waves, id like to get some shots but im never by the sea when its rough! but if i knew when it was going to be id take a trip..

thanks..

Cheers for the lovely comment!

That's a very good question and I'll give you just as a good answer. It was actually a very planned shot but it was just plain lucky that it occured during a mini-holiday break from work.

I've been watching them meteorogical charts (not the usual media sources such as the telly) like a hawk in the couple of days prior to when these photos were taken.
When I figured out that the arrival of an active frontal system, along with a strong wind blowing onshore in from the south west was set to coincide with an early afternoon high time here on the Kent coast, I felt that it was all perfect conditions for such a shoot.
And I turned out to be right, even though lighting conditions was totally against me due to the heavy grey laden sky but I was surprised on how my little bridge camera coped with it very well.
The camera was kept on auto the whole time because I knew what with the waves, spray, rain and wind around me, I didn't want to get the camera too wet by fiddling about with camera settings. Instead it was kept holstered in a deep pocket and when I saw a good shot coming up, the camera was whipped out, turned on, went for it and then straight back into the pocket.

Helps that the beach in question is literally only a stone's throw from my house!

What this set of photos has taught me is to not be phased by poor weather. These shots in my humble opinion portray real life, ok so the weather is rubbish but it comes with the territory living in the UK.

If I kept my camera in my bag and only brought it out in good weather, I think I would class myself as a poor photographer.

You have captured people doing what they do despite the elements, why should I be any different to the canoeist or the surfer.

Good on ya for getting out there. I absolutely love these three images.

That is a wonderful write up! What a great post.

To tell the truth, it came about after a long period of inactivity photography-wise and wanted to do something a bit "daring". Like I said in my previous reply, when I saw all the conditions slowly coming about in the two days prior to the shoot, I got more and more excited about it and had to go for it.
I only used my quite aged (6 years old) knockabout S5600 which is only worth £40 second hand, so if that did get ruined by the elements then it wouldn't be an expensive mistake and I can always get a replacement one on fleabay. Oh I'd be very upset all the same as this camera is like an old friend to me and is responsible for a lot of my favourite shots.
But I most certainly won't want to bring a pricey high-end DSLR camera into something like this, so I wouldn't think that would make me as a poor photographer. That would be me being more sensible (especially on my budget!).

Plus I needed the exercise and fresh air anyway! :D

Helps that I'm passionate about meteorology so this was one of those occasions when everything clicked into place on the day (apart from the lighting, which the camera overcame anyway).

Last edited:
That is a wonderful write up! What a great post.

To tell the truth, it came about after a long period of inactivity photography-wise and wanted to do something a bit "daring". Like I said in my previous reply, when I saw all the conditions slowly coming about in the two days prior to the shoot, I got more and more excited about it and had to go for it.
I only used my quite aged (6 years old) knockabout S5600 which is only worth £40 second hand, so if that did get ruined by the elements then it wouldn't be an expensive mistake and I can always get a replacement one on fleabay. Oh I'd be very upset all the same as this camera is like an old friend to me and is responsible for a lot of my favourite shots.
But I most certainly won't want to bring a pricey high-end DSLR camera into something like this, so I wouldn't think that would make me as a poor photographer. That would be me being more sensible (especially on my budget!).

Plus I needed the exercise and fresh air anyway! :D

Helps that I'm passionate about meteorology so this was one of those occasions when everything clicked into place on the day (apart from the lighting, which the camera overcame anyway).

I think sometimes we concentrate too much on spotting the technical aspects of photography instead just sitting back and enjoying an image.

Thanks for sharing them and giving me a boot up the jacksy.

Excellent set: really like #3.
Good effort there...much prefer this to those cheesy 'lighthouse' pix with big waves and blue skies...
Raw nature at it's most impressive...

Awww, and them lovely positive comments are still coming in. :clap: Fair to say that the mission has been a success, then. (y)

It'll be a while before I want to do that again, though! I'm still wiping salt water out of my eyes. :puke: :D

Number 3 works best for me, really like the power of sea in this photo!

Just one question but how do you prevent the salt water mist/spray coming up from the sea going all over your camera? Last time I took mine down to the coast was not even a rough day yet when I came home there was small specks of salt all over the camera.

Beautiful captues Ian, the 3rd is my fave!

The 1st looks like it could do with a little contrast boost to me but both #1 and #2 are good and sharp and catch the action nicely!

#3 for sheer power though :)
Agree

Nice set Ian.
Well done √

Doesn't the sea look calm?!!

Brilliant shots M8.

I went down to Margate last December! Was really freezing cold but got some great shots. Planning to hit the seaside somewhere next month!!

Hiya Ian,

Wow, an excellent set of photos you have there, well done! :clap: Congrats also on the first two being shown on regional news (y)

All three images capture the power of the sea, and I especially like #3, when I look at it I can almost feel the force of the spray from the impact of the wave crashing agains the rocks. That must be a sure sign of a great photo.

I'm sure the chaps in the photos wouldn't mind a print to remind them of the day :)

Well done!

Cheers

Dawn :)

Number 3 works best for me, really like the power of sea in this photo!

Just one question but how do you prevent the salt water mist/spray coming up from the sea going all over your camera? Last time I took mine down to the coast was not even a rough day yet when I came home there was small specks of salt all over the camera.

Cheers for all those lovely comments as they are still pouring in!

Hi TF, Oh the camera and lens did get rain/saltwater coated. I had to keep wiping the lens with a clean hankie every five minutes! Doesn't seem to have affected the glass by having done that, though.
Not sure what doing the same thing to a more expensive high-end lens on a DSLR camera will do to it, though!

Lovely shots there Ian! I've always wanted to get a shot like no 3 - awesome! I'm too scared though :p

Back