story behind your photo?

Name
viktoria
Edit My Images
No
Photos not only capture moments but preserve memories, I believe that photos that are closest to us have some kind of a story behind them.

I was just curious to know if you guys had any. This discussion is about posting photos that bring out such stories that not only describe the technical details but focus more on the situation in which it was shot, its expression etc.

I shoot mostly Birds so not a lot of story behind them, I do see your point though and its valid (y)

Les :D

welcome to the forum

As to your posting it would be impossible to do as thousands of photographs are taken by members on here. So you can see that relating memories of each or any photo is not really practical on a site like this. Camera clubs have speakers about this type of thing and that would be the direction I would point you in.

Realspeed

welcome to the forum

As to your posting it would be impossible to do as thousands of photographs are taken by members on here. So you can see that relating memories of each or any photo is not really practical on a site like this. Camera clubs have speakers about this type of thing and that would be the direction I would point you in.

Realspeed

I don't agree. I've got a couple that have a story attached. If I get time, I may post one later.

And a belated welcome to the forum to the OP.

I'll play...

This would be in my top 3 best images ever and is probably the most moving and inspirational pic I've ever taken - or am ever likely to take.
It was at the Adelaide, South Australia, ANZAC Day Dawn Service and was shot during the playing of the Last Post. I had turned to see if I could get a shot of the crowd and there was this Digger saluting, sillouhetted against the red sky of the rising sun.
It evokes the emotion and sombreness of the day and I didn't realise how good a shot it was until I downloaded it.
You can even see the soldiers eyelashes and hairs on his arms.
It's one of those "Oh Yeah" moments and I'll probably never get a shot like this again, no matter how many Dawn Services I go to.
Every time I look at this pic I still get the hairs on the back of my neck standing to attention and goosebumps all over.

For anyone interested, it was shot in jpeg on a 10D with a 100-400L

3469880873_82aaf4f2ac_z.jpg

Last edited:
and this one...
It's fairly significant as it would turn out.

This happened in an AFL (Aussie Rules) match between hometown rivals Adelaide Crows and Port Adelaide in August 2006 and effectively ended his career.
The guy being tackled, Trent Hentschel, kicked the ball across his body as he was brought down.
The weight of his body all went onto his right knee and ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament requiring a full knee reconstruction.
This photo is of that exact nano-second. Note the distortion and bulging in the knee.
The shot is part of a sequence of 6 or 7
The extent of the injury was likened to that of a road accident victim.
He underwent extensive rehab and made several attempts at a comeback but kept breaking down and retired from the top level in 2010.
The local paper was going to run this pic on the front page but it was decided it was too graphic for the FP and they ran it on the back page instead and have run it several times since.
Several orthopaedic surgeons have also bought this photo as well.

The pic was shot (without credentials) from my seat, about four rows back using a 10D with 100-400L Series.

Aaarrrgggh!!!.jpg

Last edited:
May i post a story behind somebody else's picture.

Here's the picture

anewmanarms.jpg

Here's the story:-

[YOUTUBE]4WoJOAj9r6w[/YOUTUBE]

I read the OP post about many photos taken not individual photos which is the reason for my reply. If the question was " what particular photo you have taken has the most memorable story behind it" then I would have replied differently

Realspeed

Last edited:
Hmmm....not sure what's going on there. I can see 'em at my end

two things, you are linking to attachments on another forum, so they wont show for us, we are not logged in to that forum, only this one [you probably are, ergo you can see].... plus because they are the attachment link, not the actual image url [which should end in .jpg] which may be the main problem....

Suggest hosting them here instead :)

two things, you are linking to attachments on another forum, so they wont show for us, we are not logged in to that forum, only this one [you probably are, ergo you can see].... plus because they are the attachment link, not the actual image url [which should end in .jpg] which may be the main problem....

Suggest hosting them here instead :)
Kaa-Ching...
Thanks Yv...A bit of brain fade their from my end.
Thought they were linking from my flickr or my website.
I'll edit the original post.

Last edited:
A couple. The first one was from backpacking in Mexico. I was doing nothing more than picking up washing when all of a sudden, the sky flared up. I'd always been told 'colours first - subject second' but didn't know what to shoot. I just had my little Pentax S50 on me and focus locked onto the sky. For a point 'n' shoot it turned out pretty good
Mexico-Tulum.jpg

This second one took a little more time. I'd met a guy living on a beach in Magnetic Island, Australia. He'd been living there all his life, served in the AUS Navy, taught the locals to sail, spear fished off the reef. He'd befriended two Kites, simply called 'him' and 'her' and would feed them daily. Towards sunset he put some meat on a piece of driftwood for me to see if I could catch one swooping in on it. I had an Olympus 550uz with dreadful shutter lag but finally got what I wanted.... and then PP the poor picture to death but this was how it turned out
Australia-Hawkatsunset-3.jpg

Once the travels were over and I'd culled all the photos that meant nothing to me I still had 33,000 left. I could be on this thread for some time....

Very well said. A single shot could have a thousand stories. It depends on how the viewer interprets the image.

I shoot mostly Birds so not a lot of story behind them, I do see your point though and its valid (y)

Les :D

Sorry to jump on your post in particular Les - nothing personal - but this is why I don't bother with the bird forum much these days.

EVERY picture has a story. It doesn't matter if it's a sodding blue tit on a branch; it's doing something... you're there for a reason. You're using particular equipment and/or settings to get a view of the animals' life. I WANT to know the story, I don't give a flying how good an image is if there's no background.

There is nothing that gets on my nerve more than someone producing brilliant images but having nothing to say about it other than "kingfisher I took yesterday", prompting the usual crappy 'nice shot' and 'wish i could find one of these' responses they generate. Just tells me that someone has got a big lens, lots of spare time and contacts that tell you where to find a subject - but you have no real interest in it beyond getting a nice picture and showing off to your birding mates :bang:

Rant over :bonk:

myanmar-.jpg

Here's one I quickly found. Definitely not technically perfect still for me reminds me of the day it was shot. I was walking through the streets of Yangon, Myanmar during the Thingyan water festival when I was shouted over by a street stall owner. After sitting and talking for a bit they called an Australian lad over who was walking past. Me, the Australian, and the guy in the shot decided to head over to Kadawgyi Lake where all the main festivities were happening.
The man in the shot was a Muslim who told me that he was not allowed to drink, however after the hour walk to the lake and a few essential stops in some shady burmese drinking dens he was absolutely slaughtered. Me and the Australian ended up carrying him most of the way home. This was shot about 4-5 hours latter when he had finally sobered up!

I couldn't agree more. There is a story behind every photo, and usually the photos that have the real stories behind them are the ones that mean most to us... photos of our children, families and memories created on holidays etc. these have a personal meaning and story which really only you can re-live (due to the emotional connection). I guess this is why other people generally hate sitting through endless holiday snaps and pictures of your kids in amusing poses etc ;)

I love to shoot images and try to convey the story behind them through the visual narrative. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I still love each and every one for the story behind it and the memory of where I was when I took it.

My favourite photo I have ever taken, is definately of this Maasai tribesman. I took this photo while we went for a walk out of the Boma and into the bush. We were comparing our lives and explaining to each other what it is like to live in each of our cultures. He then stopped and extended his hands to show me the land around him. He told me that this is his land, the land of his parents and the lands of his ancestors. He then asked me to take a picture of him in his homeland and I sent him a copy back with a charity worker after I returned home. This now has pride of place as a huge canvas in my house and reminds me everyday of the amazing journeys I have been on and the amazing people I have met.

And that, is the sole reason why I have such a love of photography.

DSC_8277-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

Sorry to jump on your post in particular Les - nothing personal - but this is why I don't bother with the bird forum much these days.

EVERY picture has a story. It doesn't matter if it's a sodding blue tit on a branch; it's doing something... you're there for a reason. You're using particular equipment and/or settings to get a view of the animals' life. I WANT to know the story, I don't give a flying how good an image is if there's no background.

There is nothing that gets on my nerve more than someone producing brilliant images but having nothing to say about it other than "kingfisher I took yesterday", prompting the usual crappy 'nice shot' and 'wish i could find one of these' responses they generate. Just tells me that someone has got a big lens, lots of spare time and contacts that tell you where to find a subject - but you have no real interest in it beyond getting a nice picture and showing off to your birding mates :bang:

Rant over :bonk:

Agree!

I couldn't agree more. There is a story behind every photo, and usually the photos that have the real stories behind them are the ones that mean most to us... photos of our children, families and memories created on holidays etc. these have a personal meaning and story which really only you can re-live (due to the emotional connection). I guess this is why other people generally hate sitting through endless holiday snaps and pictures of your kids in amusing poses etc ;)

I love to shoot images and try to convey the story behind them through the visual narrative. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I still love each and every one for the story behind it and the memory of where I was when I took it.

My favourite photo I have ever taken, is definately of this Maasai tribesman. I took this photo while we went for a walk out of the Boma and into the bush. We were comparing our lives and explaining to each other what it is like to live in each of our cultures. He then stopped and extended his hands to show me the land around him. He told me that this is his land, the land of his parents and the lands of his ancestors. He then asked me to take a picture of him in his homeland and I sent him a copy back with a charity worker after I returned home. This now has pride of place as a huge canvas in my house and reminds me everyday of the amazing journeys I have been on and the amazing people I have met.

Great photo and a great story.

My favorite photography story isn't about a photo. Mine is about why I am so in love with photography.

When I was 12, my dad was a single dad raising my 2 brothers and me. He came home from work one afternoon, and must have gotten a bonus or something, because he gave each of us kids $20 to spend. That was a lot of money to a kid in the 1980's. We went to the store, and I found an outfit that I wanted so badly. Just as I chose the "perfect" dress, my dad came to me and told me to follow him to another part of the store. I did, and he took me to the cameras. He asked if I wanted to take my money and go in halves with him on a camera. It was just a simple point & shoot, nothing special.

I chose the dress. I just "had to have it." Within a few short months, maybe 3 or 4, my dad was killed by a drunk driver. I have very few photos of my dad. I always think of all of the photos I could have had of him if I had chosen the camera. I don't think anyone should be without photos of their loved ones. The first Christmas after he died, I asked for and received a camera.

Everyone has their own story, unfortunately yours is a sad one, I am very sorry to hear about your dad’s story, I really hope that you have moved on, those few pictures that you have of your dad is really a treasure that you have to hold on forever.. What’s important is that through him you have learned to love photography and the value of photographs.

This is amazing!! Great story and photograph!

Somebody told me one time, Polly 'take photos with your eyes and develop them in your heart'. From that point of view, I hope you have many photos of your father.
Interesting place, Clearwater, fl - hope to return someday....

Back