Stourhead Gardens

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
Hello all,

Managed to get the chance to get to Stourhead Gardens at the start of the month, on the day the wind started picking up, so got lucky to get the last day of full colours!
Got in there early, and waited for ever for the clouds to shift, but it was worth the wait in the end.

These are in chronological order from the day

Stourhead Landscape Gardens by Jake Turner, on Flickr

Autumnal Splendour by Jake Turner, on Flickr

Temple of Flora - Explored! by Jake Turner, on Flickr

The Pantheon Reflects - Explored! by Jake Turner, on Flickr

Frame by Jake Turner, on Flickr

Comments welcome.

Fantastic place, I've only been once this year unfortunately. I don't think you get a better spot for a picnic in no. 2. All good, I think no.2 would have been even better with a clearer bridge reflection, but you can't help the wind.

I keep coming back to 4 . Dunno why , my eye keeps dragging up and down the pic and that shouldn't work but The reflections are just great . The last one is lovely too , in a more conventional composition way .

Hi Jake Nice set mate! I see you either got there nice and early and or you have been busy with the cloning brush:)
I like one and two its a nice perspective taking in the bridge, I was waiting for the light to hit the bridge but i think its just the wrong time of year for that to happen.
No3 I think you either need more foreground reflection, or a square crop on the RH side for it to work for me.
No4 love the composition, I'll tell you what we both missed it but that Acer on the Left just in front of the pantheon is fantastic and this shot would have been even better had it not dumped its leaves.
No5 love this, great composition, nice light and colour!
My pick is 5 Mate, Nice work Jake(y)

Lovely set to view.
Good work with the light also.
The final image is the pick of the bunch for me.

Number 5 for me.
If I might be so bold, had you considered a crop coming to just to the right of the tree trunk, and to just above the two thick branches at the left - to give quite a tight arch effect.
I suggest this as an alternative, not an improvement.

Hi Jake Nice set mate! I see you either got there nice and early and or you have been busy with the cloning brush:)
I like one and two its a nice perspective taking in the bridge, I was waiting for the light to hit the bridge but i think its just the wrong time of year for that to happen.
No3 I think you either need more foreground reflection, or a square crop on the RH side for it to work for me.
No4 love the composition, I'll tell you what we both missed it but that Acer on the Left just in front of the pantheon is fantastic and this shot would have been even better had it not dumped its leaves.
No5 love this, great composition, nice light and colour!
My pick is 5 Mate, Nice work Jake(y)
Thanks for the comments mate, sorry for the late reply, been in hospital.
I was there from 6:30am! No cloning here :)
It's a shame about the bridge not having light, but sadly you can't get golden light on the bridge, no crowds and autumn colours.
There is more foreground reflection in the third in the raw file, but it just felt like dead space, especially as there is no reflection so to speak.
Indeed the tree in 4 is a bugger, it lost it's leaves early. I noticed the following day it was completely bare!
Lovely set to view.
Good work with the light also.
The final image is the pick of the bunch for me.
Thank you Paul
Number 5 for me.
If I might be so bold, had you considered a crop coming to just to the right of the tree trunk, and to just above the two thick branches at the left - to give quite a tight arch effect.
I suggest this as an alternative, not an improvement.
Thanks Les, I did try a different crop but wasn't so keen personally.

A lovely set of shots Jake, a really nice study of the area, I like the way the building thing (?!) is seeking out from behind trees and other elements in the landscape. The puddles is particularly neat. Only comment, and I'm not someone who particularly uses long exposure, and this does not apply to all of the shots because in some the ripples on the water and texture adds something but I feel 1 and definitely 2 could have benefitted from softer water, just glowing with colour instead of showing the wind on the surface.

Back