Straight into gallery or homepage...

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm in the process of building my new site and had thought of having a homepage, probably with one image and links to galleries off it. Then yesterday I was reading something that was along the lines of what is the point of having a webpage with one image, why don't you go straight into one of your galleries...

Now I'm a bit confused, what do people prefer, a homepage then having to click into a gallery, or straight into a gallery (obviously there will be links for blog/contact and the other galleries etc)?

Depends if you are a first time visitor or a regular. One problem is that if your site looks the same every time someone looks at it, they will get fed up and stop looking. So I think you need to have something interesting on the home page

Also....

If you want the search engins to find you as I understand it, it's better to have some words on the home page.

If it's a site to show your pics, I'd say have a home page with a few of your latest images on and make sure that you change them on a regular basis. May be you could have it so the home page pulls out a random selection of your images each time it is loaded.

There will be some words, but to me a photography site should be about images rather than words. The original plan was to have a random image, but what I was thinking was an auto-direct to one of my galleries at random. The design of my site will be such that the header and footer will be the same on all pages.

Back