Straight to the Pointe

punkeye said:
Stunning set!

Poise, tension and movement in each
I am leaning towards the mono conversion as my pic of the set, yet the first image is so fun...

Completely agree, 2 and 5 are stunning

Great shots.. great poses. One thing that bugs me though, is no two shots are the same in terms of colour grading, and one is B&W. They're clearly a set... make them the same IMO. I love the crossed E to C effect in No.4.

Great shots.. great poses. One thing that bugs me though, is no two shots are the same in terms of colour grading, and one is B&W. They're clearly a set... make them the same IMO. I love the crossed E to C effect in No.4.

Thanks, fair comment on the consistency of processing - I do get bored easily and tend to go with my feeling for each individual image rather than stick to a fixed "recipe"

Stunning set the only thing I could critique is the join from the reflective flooring to the seamless white bg... I find it distracting apart from that they are very very good.

thats a fair comment, and I will bare that in mind when I next use that particular studio

Excellent set, my only criticism is the large shadow in #3 is a bit of a distraction in my opinion.

It is a big block, the lighting was quite soft so that shadow is never going to be well defined but maybe have more of it may have made it look more balanced. It would look odd if I removed it.

For me I love no 3 the most, it has a lot of life to the pose and you can feel the movement.

Regards

Donald

Last edited:
Lovely stuff Donald. I would love to shoot Ballet. I have a couple of books on it now and really admire yours and others photos of it. Would love some tips if you ever have the time?

I kind of agree with the comment about the consistency in processing, but guess it's only relevant when presented as a set like this. If viewed individually then it would become irrelevant. I only mention it because I do similar myself. Number 2 is my favourite here. It's a great shot.

the lighting and images are fantastic i aspire to get as good as these!

Lovely stuff Donald. I would love to shoot Ballet. I have a couple of books on it now and really admire yours and others photos of it. Would love some tips if you ever have the time?

I kind of agree with the comment about the consistency in processing, but guess it's only relevant when presented as a set like this. If viewed individually then it would become irrelevant. I only mention it because I do similar myself. Number 2 is my favourite here. It's a great shot.

Thanks, shooting ballet is cool and certainly something I want to pursue more in 2013.

Tips - biggest one is finding the right subject to work with, if they can dance well that is the biggest hurdle, the photography is simple. These were studio shots, simply lit on a white cove using a single light with a 1m Octabox. Timing the shot is the key especially with the jumps, lots of reptitions of the same move till you get "the" shot. If the poses are strong the pictures will be great so keep backgrounds simple, if thats not possible restrict the depth of field.

Not too sure what else to add, find a pretty ballerina and have fun - I do.

Donald

This^
They're a great bunch of photo's, but for presentation they should all have the same processing.

1 is my favourite, that pose has everything.

Back