Strange 50D flash issue

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
Hoping someone can give me some guidance. My backup body is starting to play funny buggers with firing an external flash. I can't get it to fire a 580ex II or a 430ex. I know the flashes are communicating as they change the zoom distance scale and I can dial in FEC and other changes in the menu system on the camera. It doesn't matter if the flash is set to ETTL or manual, it just won't fire a single flash.

The flash units all work on my 5d mkii just fine so it must be something to do with the camera itself.

I've done most obvious things like checking the wireless flash is disabled, made sure flash is enabled to fire.

The pop up flash on board works fine too.

I've ruled out the flash switch as the camera communicates with the flash fine.

Any ideas? :help:

Bit of wire wool on the electrical contacts in the hot shoe ? Worth a shot.

Amazingly, cleaning the contacts on the hotshoe seems to have cured the issue. Cleaned them up with a cotton bud and electronic cleaner did the job. Thanks for the suggestion of cleaning. :)

Well done Chris, it's often the smallest problem that creates mountains. I had a similar problem on the wifes 650D and cleaned it up with a cotton bud and ISO Alchohol and it fixed the problem perfectly.

Back