Strange artefacts on my negatives

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been having an interesting quest on film twitter over the past few days, and it’s not yet fully resolved, so I thought I should ask here.

I developed two films on Monday afternoon; the first was HP5 devved in FX-39 II (for reasons!) taken with my Pentax ME, the second also HP5 but devved in my 4-year-old HC-110 (dilution E), taken with my Pentax LX. Both were devved in the Rondinax (one after another, obviously). Both hung to dry in the shower for 4 hours, cut and sleeved in glassine and pressed under heavy books overnight.

On Tuesday afternoon I started scanning the first film. I was quite shocked when I got to this image:

2302CPMEBW08.jpg<frame 8>

… and even more so when I realised how many images were affected (13 out of 36). Here are a couple more so you can see the variety.

2302CPMEBW17.jpg2302CPMEBW18.jpg

I asked on twitter for ideas, and over the next 24 hours or so checked out a few things. Someone asked for images of the negatives, straight ahead and at a slant. Couldn’t really do the latter well, but here’s the straight on image of that first frame (you can see why I don't try digicam scanning!)…

DSCF5851 Negative damage.jpg

You can see it’s a brown stain; it also appears there are brown marks at the edges of the film, too. Some of the marks strayed into the inter-frame gap, but none strayed from the film into the sprocket area (apart from the edge marks).

The design of the Rondinax means film is loaded in darkness straight from the canister onto the spool, so no way of contaminating the film with any chemicals that might have got onto my hands.

I tried cleaning the marks off a frame with a cotton bud and dilute shampoo (again, for reasons!). No luck.

There was quite a bit of discussion about the film coming off the reel and touching. “Agitation” with the Rondinax is very gentle, so it’s unlikely to come off the reel once loaded. I think I might have had a poorly-loaded roll in the past, but I remember that as being VERY hard to load; no such issue this time. I can’t find any evidence of touching 135 in my library. I did find a scan of a 4x5 frame that I’d developed with the taco method that had come apart and touched something and it looked very different.

There was also a discussion about fixer issues, though quite a few folk didn’t think that could produce effects like this. However, someone suggested refixing, so I re-did a strip for 10 minutes. No change (but... see later).

At about this point yesterday afternoon I thought I’d scan the other film. Pulled out the first strip and… I didn’t bother scanning it! Covered in brown marks.

Two cameras, so it’s not the camera. Two developers, so it’s not the developer. One tank; someone suggested checking for contamination (can’t quite see how this would happen). One stop bath, one batch of fixer, one type of film… Those are the only things in common (except for the final wash with PhotoFlo 2+500, can't see how that would be an issue).

At about this point I realised I didn’t do a fixer strip test before refixing, and also that in the fixer test before this dev session, the clearing time was a bit long. So maybe the fixer test I did yesterday wasn’t as conclusive as I’d thought (if the fixer was spent). I think I’ll mix a fresh batch of fixer this afternoon and try to refix all the strips of one film. Getting them washed and dried will be an issue. However, there are several folk on twitter who are adamant that fixer wouldn’t cause this type of artefact.

Some have suggested film defects; unfortunately I no longer have the film boxes so I don’t know if they are the same batch. I’ve brought Ilford in on twitter (apparently they might be able to tell the batch from the edge bar code) but no response so far.

So, dear TPFC, any ideas?

My only thought is grubby water but I'd expect water that grubby to be visibly so!

With an issue like this I'd be inclined to start with fresh everything. Run all the mixing jugs/bottles/stirrers and wotnot through the dishwasher or give them a good hot wash in soapy water then a good rinse.

There's not an easy way of winding something onto the rondinax and checking it's not touching parts of the film together. Does it happen on the same frames roughly in a roll or random ones?

How did you wash them, did you use a wetting agent like Photo-flo?

My only thought is grubby water but I'd expect water that grubby to be visibly so!
How did you wash them, did you use a wetting agent like Photo-flo?

Water was fine, and last wash was de-ionised water plus PhotoFlo.
With an issue like this I'd be inclined to start with fresh everything. Run all the mixing jugs/bottles/stirrers and wotnot through the dishwasher or give them a good hot wash in soapy water then a good rinse.

There's not an easy way of winding something onto the rondinax and checking it's not touching parts of the film together. Does it happen on the same frames roughly in a roll or random ones?
Not a chance I'd be allowed to put my dev stuff in the dishwasher! It all looks pretty clean to me, but I will give them a good scrub this afternoon.

The frames are fairly random: 8, 11, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 26, 27, 31, 35. I think on the next film almost all the frames in the first film strip were marked.

Reactions: Nod
Well, with freshly mixed fixer and 4 washes, the results are excellent! No sign of brown stains, on the edges or in those funny shapes... Inevitably of course, there are drying marks now!

I tried getting my film strips onto a Patersons reel (in daylight) without success... but I think the reel has been assembled wrongly. The two "entry" points are nowhere near the same place! Luckily, they pushed easily enough into the Rondinax reels, so the fix and wash worked well. But hanging them was a bit of a nightmare. I only have 5 bulldog clips; normally there's one top and one bottom, but I had to hang the 5 strips more or less horizontally, gripping by the sprocket area. They dried well enough, but turned into bendy nightmares! Luckily an hour or so under a book has made it possible to get them into the scanner.

So all's well that ends well... I'll re-fix the second film tomorrow... BTW, does anyone know if delaying the re-fix causes problems? If not I could delay for a week or so, which would be helpful!

Well, with freshly mixed fixer and 4 washes, the results are excellent! No sign of brown stains, on the edges or in those funny shapes... Inevitably of course, there are drying marks now!

I tried getting my film strips onto a Patersons reel (in daylight) without success... but I think the reel has been assembled wrongly. The two "entry" points are nowhere near the same place! Luckily, they pushed easily enough into the Rondinax reels, so the fix and wash worked well. But hanging them was a bit of a nightmare. I only have 5 bulldog clips; normally there's one top and one bottom, but I had to hang the 5 strips more or less horizontally, gripping by the sprocket area. They dried well enough, but turned into bendy nightmares! Luckily an hour or so under a book has made it possible to get them into the scanner.

So all's well that ends well... I'll re-fix the second film tomorrow... BTW, does anyone know if delaying the re-fix causes problems? If not I could delay for a week or so, which would be helpful!
I have a Paterson reel with the same misalignment problem caused by clumsiness on my part. I reset the reel from 120 to 35mm and forced it together the wrong way. As far as I can see it is a write off as it is completely locked together, immovable.

I have a Paterson reel with the same misalignment problem caused by clumsiness on my part. I reset the reel from 120 to 35mm and forced it together the wrong way. As far as I can see it is a write off as it is completely locked together, immovable.
There's no such thing as a write-off until brute force and ignorance has been exhausted! ;)

Well, if you PM me I'll send it for you to fix if you like. I used plenty of brute force to no avail.

Looks like a good way of recovering the reel. Perhaps it is easier to buy another used reel?

Last edited:
Given enough time I expect we will all do that, I have many moons ago. After all you don't need to concentrate re assembling a Patterson reel, er, yes you do.
There's no such thing as a write-off until brute force and ignorance has been exhausted! ;)
I managed to get mine apart again, after much twisting and swearing. They are useless if not aligned so it is worth putting 110% effort into twisting the two halfs, if you do break it it will be no more useless. :)
Just as well they are still available new and or used and not an expensive item.

Assuming you have not yet re fixed as you have not updated the thread: Leaving it a week or so should be fine, I did not see the thread when you first posted but re fix was my first thought.

Good luck with the spiral and re fixing.

Well my ignorance on this is profound, but my brute force is small!!
It doesn't feel gunked up, there's a certain amount of play, but then it hits some sort of limit and won't go any further. Shame, as I was going to advertise the tank on here with one reel!

However, there are several folk on twitter who are adamant that fixer wouldn’t cause this type of artefact.
In other news there are many folk on Twitter who are adamant that the earth is flat.

Cos it is!

:exit:
Nonsense! Eclipses prove that the world is not flat, it's a cube. This is also amply demonstrated by photographs from space. Every photographer knows that you need a fish eye lens to include the whole of an object the size of the earth, and fish eyes give a circular image, leading ill informed people to assume that the earth is round.

On topic, the purpose of the fixer is to remove undeveloped silver halide, that would otherwise darken on exposure to light - as happens to unprocessed film left in the light. Incomplete fixing also leaves a few things in the film that can also lead to deterioration, so refixing should be done sooner (period measured in days) rather than later (period measured in months).

Nonsense! Eclipses prove that the world is not flat, it's a cube. This is also amply demonstrated by photographs from space. Every photographer knows that you need a fish eye lens to include the whole of an object the size of the earth, and fish eyes give a circular image, leading ill informed people to assume that the earth is round.

On topic, the purpose of the fixer is to remove undeveloped silver halide, that would otherwise darken on exposure to light - as happens to unprocessed film left in the light. Incomplete fixing also leaves a few things in the film that can also lead to deterioration, so refixing should be done sooner (period measured in days) rather than later (period measured in months).
Cubed…. Yes that’s probably what I meant. :p:naughty::ROFLMAO:

i see you "fixed" the issue? looked to me like the film was touching something and needed refixing to clear it. Happy days.

Back