Strange colours with canon s110

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
Been getting some strange colour bands on my Canon S110 lately- it's not every shot but quite often. See the green band in the sky in the pic, any ideas?
ThanksImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1454434940.307880.jpg

Don't look too good to me mate would get it looked at...

You can also see the green on the front of the ship, and on the water. Was it very high ISO ?

It was on auto in this shot and very sunny so I think iso was low!

It was on auto in this shot and very sunny so I think iso was low!
Just that I have an old Canon compact and it does get a similar green colour, but I get mine over all of my image. But yours is seen mainly in the sky front of the ship, and on the water. Besides looks like your scene has plenty of light, so camera probably wont have chosen a very high ISO. Probably not even worth getting it looked at, not unless it is still got warranty.

There is also magenta top right and on the sea in the foreground.
Is it only in Auto, or does it happen in other modes aswell?
First thing I would try, is going into the menu and reset to default settings to ensure its not something you have programmed in by mistake.

Yes I will reset to default setting and try that - I did just notice the lens was very smeared- would that be the cause?

Yes I will reset to default setting and try that - I did just notice the lens was very smeared- would that be the cause?
Dirty lens may do it, try cleaning the lens carefully then try some more photos. It could be the bright light catching the streaks on the lens :thinking:

Well I just took a test shot in auto in the garden, on zooming into the pic on the pc I found loads of dead black pixels in the shot!
So I'm thinking the camera has problems!
Question is what is a like for like replacement- I love the size and features of the s110 but don't think they make the s range any more!
Don't really want to spend a fortune (£200 ish) because its rerally a convenience cam when the slr is to big!
Thanks

You could take a look at the Panasonic LF1. I'd not heard of them until I bought one :D Apparently they have the same chip as the well regarded LX5 or whatever the latest one is... but the LF1 is smaller and has a VF.

I have the earlier S100 and do think it's an under-rated delightfully tiny camera - even though other cameras have technically better specs.
The latest variant is the S120 but it's about £300 on Amazon, you can probably get it cheaper.
http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_camera/powershot/powershot_s120/

Are you using RAW in the example above?
Just wondered if it was happening during the in camera jpg making.
I only ever use RAW with the S100

Ive actually never used raw on it - good point and I will try that thanks!

Another longshot, have you tried a different memory card, or formatting your current card to check it still happens after.
Clutching at straws really, but worth exploring all avenues before binning it.

Another longshot, have you tried a different memory card, or formatting your current card to check it still happens after.
Clutching at straws really, but worth exploring all avenues before binning it.

Will try that, thanks.

Back