Strange message from Amazon - anyone else ?

badlywornroy

I am not macho
Name
Roy
Edit My Images
No
Amazon message ( short version)

"
Hello,

An important message regarding your order 026-188xxxx-208xxxx

The French Departmental Directorate for the Protection of Populations (DDPP) has published a recall notification about the below product that you have bought on Amazon.co.uk due to the following risk: suffocation.
Please do not use the product. If you bought this item for someone else, share this email with them.

Product:
LiCB 5 Pack CR2025 Battery 3V Lithium CR 2025 Batteries

Unquote

They said return costs etc would be reimbursed.

N:B This order dates back to november 2021

Not here - and CR2025 is a cell size/type that I have ordered through the big river in the past few years. Looking at the product now, I see that it (well, the Duracell version) is Bitrex coated and packaged in childproof packaging. TBH, if there are no children in the house and none visiting, I wouldn't worry. If there are children around, I'd just make sure the cells are kept out of sight and reach of the children.

I had a look around and here is the only information I can find on this...

If there is nobody within your household who you think would put these in a place where they were at risk of choking then there is no reason to return them.

The use of the word " suffocation " bemused me. I never thought of linking that word to young children choking on them. I wonder if that warning should be on all this small ' button' battery packaging and it was omitted on these ? As I said I purchased these batteries from Amazon in november 2021 ! methinks they are shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

' @boogie man ' Yes, pretty certain this message is from Amazon. Who else would know the actual order number. Also no request for banking details etc which is what a scammer would be after.

Last edited:
I had similar ages ago, for CR2023.
My warning was for a fire risk.
I'd used them up by then.

If the notification is not in your secure logged in Amazon account it is bogus. Simplez :) (I work for Amazon Quality Control).
Edit: I will relay your personal inbox texts into 'my work' just to make sure.

Last edited:
The order No. quoted on the email is correct.
When I paste it into the search engine in my logged in account it throws up the battery order (about 18 months old)

The order No. quoted on the email is correct.
When I paste it into the search engine in my logged in account it throws up the battery order (about 18 months old)
Okay, so you have an e-mail into your personal e-mail account, from Amazon, about a product recall of an item you have purchased. Does the e-mail mention shipping costs or any money you have to spend to return the item?

Okay, so you have an e-mail into your personal e-mail account, from Amazon, about a product recall of an item you have purchased. Does the e-mail mention shipping costs or any money you have to spend to return the item?
Thank you 'Fixer' for pointing that out. Doh ! Yes the Amazon message is in my secure logged in account.

No

I wouldn't worry about it. There is a product recall and Amazon are just emailing all of the customers who bought the recalled item to cover their own backsides in case your kid chokes on the item and you try to sue them.

weirdly ive just bought some CR 1225's, i await my message with baited breath
It seems to be batteries from a French company.
And about a year ago, iirc.

I have two e-mails to show below, neither from 'inside' my Amazon account . . . 1) My product recall e-mail and 2) Duracell response to my enquiry . . .

1) My product recall e-mail :

Hello,

An important message regarding your order 205-1083183-7893932

The French alert system for dangerous products (Rappel Conso) has published a recall notification about the below product that you have bought on Amazon.co.uk due to the following risk: ingestion.

Product:
Duracell Specialty 2032 Lithium Coin Battery 3V, pack of 4, with Baby Secure Technology and suitable for keyfobs, scales, wearables and medical devices (DL2032/CR2032)

Batches impacted:
-

Expiration dates impacted:
-

Please do not use the product. If you bought this item for someone else, share this email with them.

Please return the affected item(s) to Amazon for a full refund. Any charges you incur for this return will be refunded back to you.

To arrange the return please visit our Returns Support Centre by clicking the following link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/orc/returns.

If you're unable to request a return using the Returns Support Centre, please return the item to us, using a recorded delivery method, to the address below, enclosing a note stating that the item is defective and your order number.

Amazon.co.uk
Customer Returns
Amazon Way
Dunfermline
Fife
KY11 8ST

You'll receive a confirmation e-mail once we've received your return and afterwards when a refund has been processed. Please allow your bank 5 to 7 business days to process the refund to your account after we've received your return.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause you but trust you will understand that the safety and satisfaction of our customers is our highest priority.

Sincerely,

Amazon.co.uk
www.amazon.co.uk

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

2) Duracell response to my enquiry :

"Thank you for contacting Duracell Consumer Relations regarding your CR2032 batteries recall email from Amazon.

Back in early October 2023, Duracell decided to proceed to a voluntary recall of our Lithium Coin 2032 4ct pack in France only. This decision was taken after the French consumer protection authorities were able to open the package upon performing a mechanical test contained in an international norm. Duracell packaging is fully compliant with the applicable European norm, based on the most comprehensive, complex, and relevant test method favoured by test institutes. Therefore, it is also compliant with UK and French standards. Nevertheless, we’ve decided to recall and replace this packaging on the French market, further to an agreement with the French authorities. Meanwhile, we obtained certification of child resistant packaging compliance based upon the international norm used by the French authority.

The recall is an isolated case, as the French authority’s position is an outlier, no other authority having taken this position regarding our packaging.

Over the last few years, Duracell has introduced distinctive features for our CR2032s, for example, a double-shell plastic protection film and, an additional safety feature unique to the market, a bitter-tasting Bitrex® coating to help prevent the risk of accidental ingestion.

However, it is always worth remembering that Lithium Coins do present risks to children if they are not properly secured or stored. Therefore, we encourage parents or carers of children to check their house for Lithium Coin batteries - either loose or in devices - to ensure they are stored or secured safely. If there is any doubt of ingestion, medical advice should be sought immediately.

In case of questions, please do not hesitate to contact us once more.

Kind regards,

Evelyn
Consumer Relations"

Last edited:
I had the same email. Ignored it as there aren't kids in the house to eat them so they're safe to use!

Back