Strange photography behaviour

As the moon is some 250,000 miles from earth the flash would take about 1.3sec to reach it, so a delay of 1.3 secs is needed to stand any chance. lol :)

I really need to get out more!

Last edited:
Might have been a (so-called) supermoon so it would be a bit closer...

I think there was something significant about the moon, that night / week, just can't remember what it was. It obviously was not because it was very bright, possibly colour maybe. :thinking:

Just up the road is a car-park/picnic area which is pretty good for star gazing, moon watching etc.. Pretty popular at meteor shower times in particular. The only problem is the number of people who don't turn their flashes off when trying (presumably) to catch meteors (with hand held compacts...)

As the moon is some 250,000 miles from earth the flash would take about 1.3sec to reach it, so a delay of 1.3 secs is needed to stand any chance. lol :)

I really need to get out more!
2.6 seconds. You want to allow enough time for the light to come back to the camera.

Most cameras have a 2-second option on the self-timer. This is what that's for.

Ahh, so it was not that stupid then? :)
It probably wont work with just one SLR lens except at macro distances. It should be possible using 2 lenses in-front of the compact (3 lenses total) but it's not an easy system to rig up.
A telescope is definitely easier

It probably wont work with just one SLR lens except at macro distances. It should be possible using 2 lenses in-front of the compact (3 lenses total) but it's not an easy system to rig up.
A telescope is definitely easier
Is already on my want list, just can't afford it. Xmas around the corner, so ya never know. :)

Back