Beginner strange pixels on 2nd hand 70d?

Edit My Images
Yes
I just picked up a well used 70d, she seems fully functional etc, but I was looking at a 30s exposed pic with the lens cap on, and I found a whole galaxy. Should I be worried??

edit: image size a bit small, each orange circle contains a small thing as in the fullsize picture. They come in red, blue and white of different size and intensity.

Attachments

• IMG_7435pixels.jpg
    IMG_7435pixels.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 57
  • pixelsfullsize.jpg
    pixelsfullsize.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Why would you take a 30s exposure with the lens cap on? Does this 'problem' happen in normal shooting conditions? If not don't worry.

cool!! :)

It's commonplace to see hot pixels under those conditions.
My 1dx2 has them.

You should see how many hot pixels I get on my old 350D with 60 sec exposures for astro ;) Along with the exposed images I also integrate (in this case subtract) dark frames, which funnily enough are the same exposure as the exposed images but taken with the lens cap on..............

Do you do it manually, Jan or does the 350D do it automatically when long exposure noise reduction is turned on (if the feature exists in the 350D)? IIRC, Nikons do it automatically and it can't be turned off in the Fujis.

Do you do it manually, Jan or does the 350D do it automatically when long exposure noise reduction is turned on (if the feature exists in the 350D)? IIRC, Nikons do it automatically and it can't be turned off in the Fujis.

The 350D will 'auto dark frame' (LENR) on anything over 30 sec, but it does it after every image and subtracts it from the light frame, so you don't see it - it just makes the whole taking process twice as long. LENR can be turned off. It's much better to take a bunch at the end of the night, create a master dark and do the subtraction during integration.

Back