Stranger Manchester

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all.
Went into city centre Manchester today along with two fellow snappers.
Anyways I don't know where I got the confidence to stop and ask this fellow if I could take is photo___ but I did.
This is Alex he was soooo helpfull and didnt mind in the slightest.
Thanks Alex if you happen to come across this post.

Anyways I asked about 4 other people whom all refused so I guess I am back to square one :-(

Would love to get some comments on how to improve and any thoughts on the photo.

Gaz
Alex_Stranger_forum_size.jpg

Hi Gary. Love this gritty type urban portraits and love your style. Can't give you any crit I'm afraid as I love it the way it is.

Hi Gary. Love this gritty type urban portraits and love your style. Can't give you any crit I'm afraid as I love it the way it is.
Cheers for that you made my day:)

Gaz

Ps: Like your Mark Twain anecdote.

Looks like a still from a movie, I love it!
Many thanks for taking the time to comment and offer encouragment.

Gaz

Last edited:
Hi Gaz,

Did a similar thing yesterday myself, I didn't bother to ask just literally pointed a lens at the subject and shot! If there was any inclination of anomosity I just smiled.... :) that seems to diffuse most situations....

Nice shot good tones and texture.
Get out again ASAP... But stop asking permission ;)

Lose the black bars in my opinion, they ruin the shot.

I'd have personally gone with the subject more central, and got closer, even holding the camera in a portrait position perhaps.

I really like it though. the expression is very nice, and the tones are spot on. The lighting is great too.

Check out Mhedi Bouqua's work for some more inspiration, he's a great street portratist.

Last edited:
I think that is a superb shot. The perspective of the street in the background gives great depth and your subject is framed perfectly for me.

If I had one small niggle, it is that I find the yellow light on the left a tad distracting.

Great stuff. (y)

In this instance Alex has helped you capture a very pleasing street candid, it's well framed and I feel that I know a lot about Alex from his pose and expression, (probably wrong though) :D
However, as you then went on to experience, not everyone wants to pose in the street for a random photo ... that's why I never ask but just snap away. Sometimes you get an odd look, other times it's a face behind a newspaper or a rapidly turned head ... but more productive IMO :)

It's brilliant ! Could look at stuff like this all day long

Very interesting looking subject as well, looks like a proper bloke !

Disagree with what someone else said re centrally positioning him, he looks fine off centre to me

Don't mind the black bars either

It's a cracking shot just the way it is

Well done !

Well first off I would like to say a huge thanks to you all for taking a look and giving me some feedback and tips. "was shocked to see so many replies"
Just thought I would reply back to some of the above comments.
I know black bars annoy the hell out of people but I really like them hence why they are there sorry ;-)

I spotted Alex stood there much the same as he his in the photo off course when I asked to take his photo he removed the ciggie until I asked to take it as above.
As for just walking up to someone real close and snapping pretty sure I not got the balls for that. That said up untill yesterday I hadnt the balls to ask either :)
Asked 4 others and got knocked back____ so this could be the one and only :-(
As in central composition I kinda wanted to get that depth of the buildings and as for portrait orienation for some reason I don't like to shoot that way not sure why___feels wrong.

Will check this fella out later Mhedi Bouqua's .

Cheers everyone.

Gaz

I like this shot - but wonder what it'd be like as a B&W? That would also get rid of the yellow light that Yellowbelly mentioned (hmmmm, ironic?? lol)

I like it (the original). It's honest.
I don't mind the black bars at all.

A agree with Ruth. Black and white does nothing for this photo. The original is far better.

Hi leigh

I don't mind at all you did a good job. I'm not very good at converting to black and white.
As above though I do prefer the colour.

Feel free (anytime) to mess around with my images.I will learn from you.

Gaz

I like it too, doesn't need any tweaking. A good photo.
Cheers :)

Keep coming back to this and having a look

I think it's brilliant
Awhhh thats real nice to hear.Thats me whom normally does that so to think one person somewhere may be looking at an image I managed to take in that way is great.

Well done Gary....ANOTHER nice shot of yours. I like the black bars but agree about the yellow light being a tad distracting. Nice and sharp, well composed and superb colours!
JohnyT
"Another" There's more ?
Thanks

Gaz

Awhhh thats real nice to hear.Thats me whom normally does that so to think one person somewhere may be looking at an image I managed to take in that way is great.

Gaz

It's a good shot mate, deserves to be looked at :)

Haha I just showed my mrs this pick and she just said is that from that film snatch? Haha.

Back