Stray Cat Colony in Cala Bona, Mallorca

Name
Melissa
Edit My Images
Yes
I just back from a week in sunny Mallorca where I came across this colony of local cats after being surrounded by about 12 cats one evening! I went back the next day with my camera to take a few photos and ended up meeting a German woman there who was laying out some food for them. Apparently she cares for 6 other stray cat colonies around the area, she even gets many of them spayed/neutered and marks them after doing this with a little cut in their ear.

Anyway, these are a few of my better shots of them. Would love to get some critique :) These were shot with my Sony a580 using either a 35mm f/1.8 prime or my wide Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8.

1. Ginger cat (very similar to my own little cat at home actually)
mallorca-cat-colony-1-2.jpg

2. Kitten hiding in the bushes
mallorca-cat-colony-1-3.jpg

3. Curious cat
mallorca-cat-colony-1-5.jpg

4. Tortie with amazing markings
mallorca-cat-colony-1-6.jpg

5. Cat on the steps
mallorca-cat-colony-1.jpg

6. My favourite picture - the little kitten again. Looks like he's blind in one eye though :/
mallorca-cat-colony-1-4.jpg

Would love some feedback so I can make any amends before putting them up on Flickr :) Any thoughts?

Hi there

I'll be honest and say I'm not really a cat person. Or even a cat photograph person. But number 2 is fantastic. Love that shot!

Cheers
Bruce

Thanks Bruce! I'm more of a dog person but still find cats to be interesting enough to shoot!

Numbers 2 and 3 are the pick of the bunch for me - great eye contact and interesting poses.

Numbers 2 and 3 are the pick of the bunch for me - great eye contact and interesting poses.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah i quite like the ones of that little tabby kitten the best. The Felix cat was definitely the most friendly and inquisitive though :)

Back