Streaming audio from iCloud to Ipad

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Hi

I have been traipsing the web but can't find the answer. So I have 30 Gigs of music on my PC. I'm looking to possibly getting a iPad but want the ability to store all my music on the icloud and stream in on the iPad without paying for Apple music.

Is this possible? Will iTunes see all my MP3's on iCloud and play them?

Thanks in advance.

No you can't store your music in iCloud and stream to your iPhone / iPad. You could use iTunes Match ( https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204146 or https://www.imore.com/itunes-match ) which costs (iirc) around £25 a year.

Alternatively you could do as I do, install Plex Media server on your computer (or a NAS if you have one which is compatible); that will then stream music (as well as video if you choose) direct from your computer to your iPad (or iPhone or Android device as well as other home streaming devices such as Amazon TV, Roku, etc.). The Plex Server is free (or a slightly enhanced version is paid for) but you'll need to pay (again iirc) £4 to allow playback on your iPad.

At home you can set up home sharing to share the library on the PC but that doesn't work when you're out and about (that's how it works with Mac so assume Window is the same).

Blimey, Nothing's easy is it!

I was hoping to run my computing life from an iPad but looks like going through many hoops and costing money each month. I think I would be better off with a Surface Pro or similar with connection to an external drive or two.

I think you can still upload up to 50,000 tracks to Google Play Music cloud storage for free, and then play them via their app, which is available for iOS (and obviously Android).

Ohhh Will have a look thanks.

Hopefully Google will continue to offer this service in some form. It's thought that Google Play Music will be replaced by Google's YouTube Music, which has both premium and free but ad-supported versions (like Spotify). User uploading is a feature that will apparently be moved across, though I don't think they've said whether this will work with the free version (or whether you'll be bombarded with ads when playing your own music!).

Another option might be local storage. I have a 128GB micro-SD in an Android phone for my music collection. Apple devices don't take medica cards, of course, but you can buy iPads with up to 128Gb built in.

Blimey, Nothing's easy is it!

I was hoping to run my computing life from an iPad but looks like going through many hoops and costing money each month. I think I would be better off with a Surface Pro or similar with connection to an external drive or two.

iPads only make sense as a standalone device or as part of a whole Apple ecosystem (iPhone, Mac, iTunes).

A friend uses Microsoft Onedrive to sync everything across his family which is a mixture of iPads, Android and Windows but it sounds like a bit of a faff and presumably you still need the Onedrive subscription.

So I'm guessing something like a Surface Pro would be the answer with OneDrive or Google Drive?

Back