Street candids from Durham

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I decided to go out with my camera one Saturday recently and do what I hadn't done in such a long time; just shoot whatever turns up. Hope you like these

I know this would have been much better if the subject was looking into the frame but it just didn't happen. He was waiting for his dog to get out of the river

My personal fave of this set

Nice shots spoilt by the spot colour.

Thank you! I respect your opinions. The reasons for the selective colour was to add a little lightheartedness to the images. I loved the lady's hat and on a drab day it stood out. Also I left the colour in the Xmas hat to highlight the fact that although these two characters were a pair of rough street drinkers (I've seen them about on numerous occasions) there was an air of lightness about them on this particular day. I had tried just the straight B&W conversion previously and the feel was lost to most people that viewed it so I re-edited it :)
Thanks again!

Good set and reminded me of a couple of areas I knocked around as a youngster. (steps by the weir in partticular).

The selective colouring doesnt particularly offend me, I think the purpose of the purple hat on the drinkers highlighted 'humour' element which would have been lost in total b/w - I just wouldnt have noticed the hat at all.

Well done.

I don't really like the one at the river (I feel like there's too much river and not enough steps?) but the rest are amazing, especially the one with the castle in the background. Durham is the loveliest city I've been to and since I used to live in Dipton these pics really bring back memories! Hard to believe the place has a cat A prison in it's midst...

As for the colour, I love selective colour and tho the purple works well, there's something about the orange that doesn't. Have you tried doing all of her in colour?

Good set and reminded me of a couple of areas I knocked around as a youngster. (steps by the weir in partticular).

The selective colouring doesnt particularly offend me, I think the purpose of the purple hat on the drinkers highlighted 'humour' element which would have been lost in total b/w - I just wouldnt have noticed the hat at all.

Well done.

Thank you! You get the point at least haha. I think it's great when you can have a particular mood in a photo but there's also nothing wrong with changing the mood if the opportunity presents itself :)

I don't really like the one at the river (I feel like there's too much river and not enough steps?) but the rest are amazing, especially the one with the castle in the background. Durham is the loveliest city I've been to and since I used to live in Dipton these pics really bring back memories! Hard to believe the place has a cat A prison in it's midst...

As for the colour, I love selective colour and tho the purple works well, there's something about the orange that doesn't. Have you tried doing all of her in colour?

Thanks for the comments. I couldn't include any more steps as there weren't any and if I'd left more in the shot there were distracting feet of passers by. My reasons for leaving so much water in were so as keep the reflection which I always think is important in a water shot

:)

Thank you! I respect your opinions. The reasons for the selective colour was to add a little lightheartedness to the images. I loved the lady's hat and on a drab day it stood out. Also I left the colour in the Xmas hat to highlight the fact that although these two characters were a pair of rough street drinkers (I've seen them about on numerous occasions) there was an air of lightness about them on this particular day. I had tried just the straight B&W conversion previously and the feel was lost to most people that viewed it so I re-edited it :)
Thanks again!

Whilst I don't particularly like the red hat in #2 I do find some selective colour photos to be great and I think that the party hat on the old chap is an example of where it really does work.
Keep doing what you (and many others) enjoy (y)

Love the first one, i like the foreground leading up towards to old fella. The red hat on the other one stands out to much for me, its the first thing you see before anything else, unlike the the purple hat in the later one which you see after the face of the man

First shot is lovely, the way the man and the dog are both looking at something, we can only imagine what it could be and his hand on the dogs back eludes to a strong bond and friendship between the two.

I also really like the one with the two chaps sat on the steps, but personally I think you've ruined it with the spot colour.

It makes light of a moment between two people, neither of which look jovial, in fact they look quite down on their luck and the image would be more poignant if it were like the first shot, for me there is no need for photoshop gimmicks.

Great set, not a fan of selective colour (that seems to be a trend here) however it definitely adds to the last picture and that's my favourite.

Back