Street Cherry Popped

Edit My Images
No
Today was the first time I actively went out with the soul intention of shooting some street photography.
I must admit the first 5 to 10 shots were pretty nerve wracking, but before I knew it I phased out the negative emotions and focused on getting the shot.
Please go easy on me, I really enjoyed it but next time I will focus on upping the shutter speed as there were quite a few with motion blur. Do you have any other suggestions that I can focus on? Cheers

20200227_DSC00088_LR by James Taylor, on Flickr

20200227_DSC00079_LR by James Taylor, on Flickr

20200227_DSC00043_LR by James Taylor, on Flickr

Street photography- in my humble opinion, should tell a story or a least engage the viewer to be curious about each image . ( obviously we all see things in a different way )

your second image is the best in the set - a sneak preview into the chaps life- concentrating so hard on his mobile, he's toatally oblivious to you and your camera

I do like that image

Les :)

If your camera has an auto ISO function with the ability to set a minimum shutter speed, then this can be very useful when shooting sheet, using a minimum shutter speed makes getting those grab shots easier and also you tend to have to worry about the target objects speed (assuming you set a relatively fast shutter speed)

If your camera has an auto ISO function with the ability to set a minimum shutter speed, then this can be very useful when shooting sheet, using a minimum shutter speed makes getting those grab shots easier and also you tend to have to worry about the target objects speed (assuming you set a relatively fast shutter speed)
Thanks for the feedback. I have been shooting my Canon SLR for 14 years. These shots were taken on my first day with my new Sony Mirrorless. Still getting to grips with the settings and capabilities.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been shooting my Canon SLR for 14 years. These shots were taken on my first day with my new Sony Mirrorless. Still getting to grips with the settings and capabilities.

Good move to Sony Mirrorless - I have 2 :) Sony a7Riv and Sony a7Riii welcome to the club

Les :)

Or alternatively shooting in manual (say f8, 1/500) and letting auto iso deal with exposure is great.

@jtshootsstuff Just carry on as your doing and shoot everything initially to overcome any confidence/ fear issues.

At least these aren't the more usual f1.x zero DoF street pictures we see so often these days :D Well done for not falling into that trap :D

The last picture is IMO quite telling and something I don't like to see as the computer will be there when they get home but the moment with family/friends may not be. Scenes like this make me want to shake people into putting the tech away and taking an interest in the moment and the people they're with.

Back