street fashion shoot

• Thread starter englandshottest2
  • Start date
E

englandshottest2

had a shoot with Leila this evening, here's one from the set, un-processed, basically straight out of the camera... I take ages to decide what processing I'll do, as I end up trying half a dozen different things.
Let me know what you all think, good and bad.

3152245188_9415f8caae_o.jpg

strobist info-
powered via Bowens 1500 battery generator
1 x Bowens Quad 3000 head (low power) in 22" brushed silver beauty dish w/ silver deflector, high on stand angled down at model.

taken on the 5D with 70-200mm f/2.8L IS @ 2.8, 1/100th, ISO 400 (i think).

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it's a nearly but not quite. I like the lighting and the balance of exposure between model and background lights but I'm not keen on the pose.

From the feet position it looks as though you were trying to catch her walking along, that I like, but the hand positioning lets it down for me. It looks like you've caught them at the point in the arm swing where both arms are parallel with the body. A fraction earleir or later so that there was one arm leading and one trailing giving a more dynamic feel would have been better for me and you may well have one of these in your set.

The other thing is the eye contact, for me it's not quite right. For a fashion style shoot I can understand the need for it but I think because Leila seems to be walking rather than posing it gives me the feel that it's a candid shot and the stranger has spotted you.

Just my opinion I hope you understand, othes will probably think I'm picky and disagree with me.

One other thing I might have been tempted to try in your position although I don't know if you had the kit for it is to add another light, further to the left coming from behind the model to add a rim/seperation light to help seperate the black coat from the black sky. As I said at the beginning I think you've done great with the lighting it's just something I might have been tempted with to see if it adds anything.

(y)Kev

thanks for the feedback :).
her coat was her choice, and since it was -1degree at that point, I was gona push my luck if I told her to have it off the whole time :LOL:. ...by the end of the shoot, my hands were in pain from the cold!
I did get frames with her not wearing it also, to give some difference, as we weren't going to do an outfit change. I'll post some of those too.

She was actually walking (honest walking) for this, I told her to go back about 15paces and just as she came into the spot, I snapped it, so I guess that's just her walk- she does have odd hand/arm positions I must admit!

yes, she is very pretty, I like working with her :)

I can understand her wanting to wear it!, especially at that temperature!

Its not a problem though, cus everything else looks good to me!, but I bet she has a stunning figure to match the face, & it seems a shame to cover it up.

Can't wait to see the rest!
I always look forward to seeing your images, especially you're weddding ones.

Regards Spence

:LOL::LOL: well, she DID have a lovely figure, before Xmas!..her wording- "Im podgey!" lol, never a skinny girl!
oh and we did have a 2nd strobe setup for rim/fill, etc. which got used in some of the later frames, as I was quite keen on the nice downcast shadow the beauty dish gave on its own.

Will you be putting any more of the shoot up for us to see? You're allowed 10 shots per post you know;)

few more, un-processed, just a touch of crop here and there.
let me know your thoughts (bad critique is good in my book!)

these first two were with the 2nd strobe to act as a side kicker, it was down low angled upward, and exact side of model.

3151571681_831694d316_o.jpg

3151572167_7ddfbf6d32_o.jpg

3152407930_c0747f202b_o.jpg

Great pics Alex :D

The lighting is awesome, they're very much the sort of image you'd see in a fashion retailers store. I'd say the last one is the weakest because of the bluish tinge caused by the flash but as you said, these are pre-PP.

goody :), thanks. at least what I was trying to go for got carried out (was supposed to be brushing up on my commercial/editorial skills which seems to be about 70% tech. skills in lighting and the other 30% in post processing to give that surreal look :LOL: . think i'll go for maybe a bit of muted colouring and try and lift a bit of the dark shadows for the coat ones.

d'oh! and i'm kicking myself for not having used just a bit of rim for the dark coat shots (i should have known black in black night = dark!), i even brought a narrow reflector which would have worked perfectly! oh well

thank you :), if you like her, see my other post (posted in the people/portraits category as well), called 'monochrome beauty in graveyard.'

Very nice set (as always) and obviously a beautiful model, my only gripe is to do with her hands - going from post #8, the first shot is slightly spoilt for me by the way the hands have been "amputated" , the second one by the way her arms are hanging by her side and the last two shots by a combination of the hands-in-pockets and the somewhat shapeless coat, which doesn't work well with that camera angle.

Having said all that, if I can get my pics up to your standard then I'll be a happy camper ;)

thank you (-: , yes I agree I wasnt happy with her hands, but since it was sooooooo cold, she just as gonna hate me, and since it was that cold, they were turning red and didnt look too good! Thus, I thought better to get rid of them. Where's in the first shot of post no.8, I was going for just a waist up shot, to focus on the primary section of her outfit, I suppose if I had been able to get the little bit of her hand remnant out, it would have been better.

Back