Street Photography - Between the legs

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No

The soldiers march home from war

It was the girl in the green...err.. grey coat that drew my attention :) but decided not to keep it colour

The subject is probably quite weak, but for me the background is strong - maybe I like this photo for the wrong reasons

These women were laughing because the blonde found it flattering that I took a photo of them - I spoke to them briefly and took a few more.

From earlier in the day, the travelling musicians

Last edited:
Good set, love the stressed faces in #2 ... 1 hour 55 minutes and I'm officially retired :D

Nice set Dan, I have one slight niggle No1, I feel would benefit from a tighter crop as My eye is drawn to the manikin left of shot and therefore the image looses impact in my opinion! I cropped using the natural verticals found within the image and a slight clone bottom left, hope you like?

Original

Crop

In the crop the eye is drawn to the shop lady - which should be the focal point of this image

I love the rest by the way

Les ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Les, obviously my workflow failed :) I've updated my original post - thanks

Good set, love the stressed faces in #2 ... 1 hour 55 minutes and I'm officially retired :D

Take it from me it can get boring with too much time on your hands - but welcome to the world of the 'unworking' (y)

Hey Dan you made me look at your post under false pretences 'between the legs' indeed :mad:

But your first shot is funny and so are the long, stressed faces after a hard days work (y)

Hey Dan you made me look at your post under false pretences 'between the legs' indeed :mad:

But your first shot is funny and so are the long, stressed faces after a hard days work (y)

Cheers John :)

Going back to London for some street photography on Sunday, have arranged a group meet up there.

The crop is great on #1 as it's left the hand in... Good spot on the subject as well.

#2 works well, like the space for them to walk into and great expression on the second blokes face

Giggling girls is good also - there's a story there (if you hadn't explained..)

rest do not a lot for me...

But huge improvement from your distant sniping of before.
One thing my tutor told me off for was mixing colour and B&W images in a set

Ah so the distance stays the same but the lens got longer... :) I thought you'd got braver

Ah so the distance stays the same but the lens got longer... :) I thought you'd got braver

;) Doh... silence is golden.

I realised how much I prefer the 135mm.

I did take the grip off my camera and lookup the cost of the considerably smaller 35mm f/2 lens - i) I hated the feel of an ungripped 5dm3.. felt tinyyyyyyyyyyy and ii) the lens was a lot more expensive than I'd guessed - so not buying.

I thought if I made the camera less intrusive, I'd feel better about getting closer - but that might not happen any time soon :D

Also - hip shooting... holding my camera waist height and pointing it at people makes me just look dodgy and feels uncomfortable and stupid. :D

Last edited:
I think they are all very good,love the first one that is great.:)

Each to their own Dan, it's the image produced thats important and you've some good ones there so keep it up :)

Each to their own Dan, it's the image produced thats important and you've some good ones there so keep it up :)

would you hold it like this (with my 35mm)? I tried it and my wife laughed at me and called me 'smooth' - maybe it's because i was trying to angle the camera with my pelvis...

View attachment 8686

Last edited:
Who's that smooth dude :)
I sling it over my shoulder like I'm carrying it. One hand steadies the camera, by finger and thumb around the lens (almost like you've your left hand - but I use my right). The pad of your thumb goes over the shutter button and it's easy to trigger with a squeeze. Mind you in Thailand I just smiled and shot like normal.

After all the wear and tear on mine, I'm thinking of getting a hand strap next.

The first one looks like it could be shot with a 50, I'd try that before going for a 35. They're small and cheap too. Personally, I rarely shoot from the hip as I prefer to have complete control over my framing.

I've just this moment learnt how to use the hyperfocal guide on the lens :D

So I can see how much will be in focus... so for scene's, I guess I put it at f8 and have the right f8 hyperfocal mark on infinity.. this means everything from about 7 foot to infinity is in focus...

it's the little things

The first one looks like it could be shot with a 50, I'd try that before going for a 35. They're small and cheap too. Personally, I rarely shoot from the hip as I prefer to have complete control over my framing.

I waited until the scene was as good as it was going to get, if I'd been standing with a 50mm - I might have been spotted.

I've got a 35mm.. it's just bigger than I had liked - I will give it another go with hyperfocal focussing - my other gripe is that it's MF only, so I'll be stood looking like a lemon whilst I focussed

Last edited:
I find those in black and white more powerful. I dint care about the square like crop until I saw the original.
Cheers,

I waited until the scene was as good as it was going to get, if I'd been standing with a 50mm - I might have been spotted.

I've got a 35mm.. it's just bigger than I had liked - I will give it another go with hyperfocal focussing - my other gripe is that it's MF only, so I'll be stood looking like a lemon whilst I focussed

Nah she looks pretty busy doing her job, I doubt she would have noticed. As for having an MF only lens, it doesn't really matter if you're using f/8 and above, it'll actually be faster in practice than relying on autofocus - it's literally point and click at those apertures. All that's left is for you to know where to stand and when to click the shutter. For example, this recent post: Capture a stranger street style : Part 2 was all MF at f/8-f/11.

would you hold it like this (with my 35mm)? I tried it and my wife laughed at me and called me 'smooth' - maybe it's because i was trying to angle the camera with my pelvis...
[/KMmquote]

My goodness Dan is this really you :exit:

A well dodgy looking geezer - especially talking about angling with your pelvis :p

My goodness Dan is this really you :exit:

A well dodgy looking geezer - especially talking about angling with your pelvis :p

Yes I demonstrated how that would have looked to a colleague, it was quite hysterical :)

I've got my youth!.. well some of it

I've got my youth!.. well some of it

Indeed you have and I'm only jealous. Old enough to be your father grandfather so make sure you respect your elders :clap:

Last edited:
My Dad was 50 last year :D I am 31..

Just edited my earlier post realising I'm old enough (66) to be your GULP - to be your - to be your - oh bugger never mind - next post :(

Who's that smooth dude :)
I sling it over my shoulder like I'm carrying it. One hand steadies the camera, by finger and thumb around the lens (almost like you've your left hand - but I use my right). The pad of your thumb goes over the shutter button and it's easy to trigger with a squeeze. Mind you in Thailand I just smiled and shot like normal.

After all the wear and tear on mine, I'm thinking of getting a hand strap next.

Ok, gave it a go today at lunch. One handed I held the camera by my side - I could hold onto the battery grip if I wanted an upside down landscape orientated image, or hold normal grip for vertical.

Probably one of the best of the bunch, one I took whilst waiting in the bakery for my lunch..

I'm still trying to adjust how I feel about 35mm, and what it does for the image.

Last edited:
Nice - see it's quite different from the lower perspective. Good reflection in the glass
I'm not saying use it all the time, just it's a different approach and can be used sometimes. I have Cfn1 setup for no screen display, no beeps, minimum 1/125 shutter speed, silent shutter...

Back