Street photography camera suggestions

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I [think] I'm looking for a camera for street photography with the following criteria:

. Mustn't be a Fuji -- had three X100Vs in a row, all of them had faults under warranty so don't trust them any more.
. If at all possible, it really should have a viewfinder as to use a screen requires I put reading glasses on -- highly inconvenient.
. If it's not a zoom it should be 28mm equivalent (not 35mm like the X100V)
. Price -- Between £500 and £1000 but nearer £500 if possible.
. Sensor size -- doesn't really matter very much but not ridiculously small otherwise I might as well use my phone, I am quite happy with APS-C or MFT not keen on going any smaller.
. Should fit in a normal-sized pocket. For example the X100V was just too big to be useful.
. Must shoot RAW

As an example of things I've looked at: The Ricoh GRiii looked the part but doesn't have a viewfinder.

Em10 (pick your version)

Or if you want a better one and EM1 MK2,

That's what I'd go for along with the 17mm lens

I have the griiix but find the apsc Nikon Z50 more useful.
The 16-50 kit zoom is very good and very very small.
The combination fits into an anorak pocket.
A slimline 26mm pancake is available (I don’t have one)
Other primes that might be OK for you are 28mm 2.8 and 40mm F2.
I understand a 24mm is imminent - 35mm FF equivalent.

Also check out the Nikon AFc - same sensor, more X100 type body.

I'd suggest the Olympus EM10, mk 3 or 4, with one of the pancake style Olympus or Panasonic zooms such as the Panasonic 14-42 f3.5-5.6, this setup is ideal for street and will comfortably fit in a jacket pocket (a bit bulgy but...). I have almost exactly this setup with the EM10mk2. There are very suitable primes too such as a 17mm (35 equiv.) or 25mm etc.

I may be looking for the Holy Grail I suppose but first look at the EM10 shows me it is way too big and SLR-like, I'm rather looking at the X100V shape but not as big so as not to be too conspicuous. If I'm going to carry an SLR-like camera, I might as well take my D850 with me. Definitely more in favour of the GRiii-type of thing but with a viewfinder -- could be it doesn't exist, I suppose.

GR3 for me all day every day.

The snap focus feature is brilliant. It's also very pocketable and thus a go-anywhere camera. The UI is intuitive for a camera you might not use so often and forget where things are.

I miss the viewfinder, but for street photography at 28mm, if the blobs look vaguely well composed it's a job done. I've had more keepers from my outings than I ever had with any other camera. I really thought I'd miss it and was toying with getting the hotshoe viewfinder, but having used it in anger, I don't need it. I'm even learning to enjoy it.. and my eyesight is far from the greatest...

I was looking for something similar and unless you want to entertain a Fuji X70 (which has the flash but still no viewfinder) or an XF10 (also no viewfinder) it's slim pickings if you want to stay pocketable.

GR3 for me all day every day.

The snap focus feature is brilliant. It's also very pocketable and thus a go-anywhere camera. The UI is intuitive for a camera you might not use so often and forget where things are.

I miss the viewfinder, but for street photography at 28mm, if the blobs look vaguely well composed it's a job done. I've had more keepers from my outings than I ever had with any other camera. I really thought I'd miss it and was toying with getting the hotshoe viewfinder, but having used it in anger, I don't need it. I'm even learning to enjoy it.. and my eyesight is far from the greatest...

I was looking for something similar and unless you want to entertain a Fuji X70 (which has the flash but still no viewfinder) or an XF10 (also no viewfinder) it's slim pickings if you want to stay pocketable.
:agree:

I don't have a viewfinder (you can get add-ons) and rarely use the rear LCD screen.
Once you get used to the camera the 28mm together with snap focus, or the excellent autofocus, it's easy to capture street photos without 'looking through the camera'.
It's so useful for 'street' that I have to make myself use my Leica Q every now and then to avoid upsetting it!

What about the Nikon Z30? That would seem to be right up your street.

I may be looking for the Holy Grail I suppose but first look at the EM10 shows me it is way too big and SLR-like, I'm rather looking at the X100V shape but not as big so as not to be too conspicuous. If I'm going to carry an SLR-like camera, I might as well take my D850 with me. Definitely more in favour of the GRiii-type of thing but with a viewfinder -- could be it doesn't exist, I suppose.

The EM10 is tiny compared with a D850. With a small prime on it the size would not be much bigger than a X100.

I'm a bit of a fan of the Panasonic GX80. I also have the higher spec GX9 but for some reason the cheaper GX80 gets more use. Maybe it's a case of inverse snobbery :D

Keeping the camera and lens set up small the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 is really really small and gives an equivalent FoV of 28mm. I also have (but rarely use) the tiny 14-42mm G Vario.

I'm not sure about the size issue though as the GX80 and GX9 are roughly the size of a Fuji X100. They might still be worth a look though. I personally wouldn't want to drop below MFT for file quality reasons.

What about the Nikon Z30? That would seem to be right up your street.
Again, too SLR-like, too big.
You have just described the Panasonic LX100 either MkI or II
You are right, I'm a little wary of the fact that the MkII is six years old now and quite expensive for what, these days, might be considered old technology.

Last edited:
The EM10 is tiny compared with a D850. With a small prime on it the size would not be much bigger than a X100.

I appreciate that but the salient point is that it IS bigger even than the the X100V which was the top end of the size I really want.

The Ricoh GRiii is starting to call to me, even without the viewfinder.

The PenF ii

You are right, I'm a little wary of the fact that the MkII is six years old now and quite expensive for what, these days, might be considered old technology.

Then buy a Mk I (which should be about £300).

They are absolutely superb cameras. It was advanced technology for its time and there is still nothing on the market to match it.

A quick search seems to indicate that this camera is only rumoured but doesn't actually exist.
(y) ;)

I don’t think they will make one, but it would be perfect.

Last edited:
Sony RX100? Slips into a shirt pocket. Mk iii is below budget new and I would guess that newer models would be within the grand budget with some searching.

Reactions: ntz
I used a GX80 as @woof woof, then got a GR3X, found I didn't miss the VF but missed the tilt up screen, so got a Lumix GX800

The GX9 body is smaller and lighter than the X100V, a 12-32 lens, or one of the pancake 1.7 primes will add about 3cm to the front.
You have the advantage that you could use a 12-60 or a 14-140 (both roughly the same size) at times when it doesn't have to go in your pocket, or even a 100-300 is comfortable.

If you want something less expensive to try, the GX7 might fit. Slightly smaller again than the GX9, but just 16MP, takes the same lenses, and has everything you need, including front and back wheels on the top, nice for manual.

Panasonic also have an interesting 9mm pancake lens, only adds 13mm to either camera, it is not fish-eye but does have some distortion, but gives amazing results when the distortion is corrected. Nothing near a prime of course, but still good.

Both the GX7 and GX9 have the option of electronic shutter and silent operation

I have trouble recommending the Panasonic GX7 to anyone and in fact I wouldn't without telling them to research the shutter shock issue as if you have that camera and the wrong lens shutter shock can be a real issue... if you are in the affected shutter speed range. One work around is to use the electronic shutter but that brings its own issues including banding under some lighting.

IMO it's best to avoid the shutter shock issue completely and go for the GX80.

I have trouble recommending the Panasonic GX7 to anyone and in fact I wouldn't without telling them to research the shutter shock issue as if you have that camera and the wrong lens shutter shock can be a real issue... if you are in the affected shutter speed range. One work around is to use the electronic shutter but that brings its own issues including banding under some lighting.

IMO it's best to avoid the shutter shock issue completely and go for the GX80.

Before I bought it, I read up as much as I could find on it, and have never experienced problems.
Going by past mentions of the same issue, it seems I am very lucky with the issue, and you are very unlucky with it :)

The GX9 body is smaller and lighter than the X100V, a 12-32 lens, or one of the pancake 1.7 primes will add about 3cm to the front.
You have the advantage that you could use a 12-60 or a 14-140 (both roughly the same size) at times when it doesn't have to go in your pocket, or even a 100-300 is comfortable.

If you want something less expensive to try, the GX7 might fit. Slightly smaller again than the GX9, but just 16MP, takes the same lenses, and has everything you need, including front and back wheels on the top, nice for manual.

Panasonic also have an interesting 9mm pancake lens, only adds 13mm to either camera, it is not fish-eye but does have some distortion, but gives amazing results when the distortion is corrected. Nothing near a prime of course, but still good.

Both the GX7 and GX9 have the option of electronic shutter and silent operation

Wish I hadn't seen this I'm now looking to get a GX7 with 12-32.

Before I bought it, I read up as much as I could find on it, and have never experienced problems.
Going by past mentions of the same issue, it seems I am very lucky with the issue, and you are very unlucky with it :)

I can't say I was unlucky, it's just that I bought the camera and it came with a known affected lens as the kit lens. Of course you have to shoot in the affected shutter speed range and at the time I was taking quite a few pictures indoors so would be smack in that range and of course the lighting made the electronic shutter not an option so in that use that camera and lens was unusable.

It's a known and well publicised issue that people should consider if looking at affected camera and lens combinations. As above, I don't see the point in getting into this when non affected cameras are available.

Last edited:
Wish I hadn't seen this I'm now looking to get a GX7 with 12-32.

My advice is to look hard and be sure what you're getting into. I also wouldn't recommend the 12-32mm without careful thought as you don't get a focus ring on the lens and if you want to adjust focus manually (for complex scenes which may distract the AF etc....) I think you have to do it via a sliding scale on the back screen.

My advice is to look hard and be sure what you're getting into. I also wouldn't recommend the 12-32mm without careful thought as you don't get a focus ring on the lens and if you want to adjust focus manually (for complex scenes which may distract the AF etc....) I think you have to do it via a sliding scale on the back screen.
Thanks Alan, I didn't know about the shutter shock thing, I am only considering the set up as a throw in the glove box take anywhere camera for casual shooting or as a framing device for my MF film kit so I'm not sure it will be an issue for me.

My old EM10 Mk1 with pancake lens could be held in the palm of your hand almost, enough so that it was not really noticable to carry it around this way

I can't say I was unlucky, it's just that I bought the camera and it came with a known affected lens as the kit lens. Of course you have to shoot in the affected shutter speed range and at the time I was taking quite a few pictures indoors so would be smack in that range and of course the lighting made the electronic shutter not an option so in that use that camera and lens was unusable.

It's a known and well publicised issue that people should consider if looking at affected camera and lens combinations. As above, I don't see the point in getting into this when non affected cameras are available.
Yes, it exists, and yes it is well publicised, and yes I agree people should know about it and read up on it. I expect they would also come across the comments that it has been overplayed.

I'm very happy with it, and would buy one again without hesitation, it's a pleasure to use.
I paid just over £200 for mine, with the matching silver 14-42 lens, everything like new and boxed, and mechanical shutter count under 1000.

The Ricoh GRiii is starting to call to me, even without the viewfinder.

I think you've pretty much made up your mind. ;) Can't say I blame you. It seems to be the camera everyone is talking about at the moment.

Thanks Alan, I didn't know about the shutter shock thing, I am only considering the set up as a throw in the glove box take anywhere camera for casual shooting or as a framing device for my MF film kit so I'm not sure it will be an issue for me.
The LCD tilts up at 90deg and down to 45deg which may help for your use. The EVF also tilts up, which is nice when it is low on a tripod.
The tilting screen is also nice in cafes etc when sitting the camera on the table as if you are not taking photos :)

The LCD tilts up at 90deg and down to 45deg which may help for your use. The EVF also tilts up, which is nice when it is low on a tripod.
The tilting screen is also nice in cafes etc when sitting the camera on the table as if you are not taking photos :)
It's the tilting EVF that interests me most, I have one on my Fujifilm GFX 50S and use it all the time.

Well Steve @Sangoma, Alan @woof woof I've just ordered a used GX7 and 12-32, hopefully I'll not be affected by the Shutter Shock thing. I did a search on it but din't find anythig that specifically tied it down to circumstances or lens type I jusf found lots of chatter in forums. Can either of you steer me to which shuter speds to try so I can test the combination please?

Well Steve @Sangoma, Alan @woof woof I've just ordered a used GX7 and 12-32, hopefully I'll not be affected by the Shutter Shock thing. I did a search on it but din't find anythig that specifically tied it down to circumstances or lens type I jusf found lots of chatter in forums. Can either of you steer me to which shuter speds to try so I can test the combination please?
I'm sure Alan can give you specifics.
I seem to remember reading it was usually between 1/60 and 1/100, but am probably wrong.

You will enjoy the camera. Takes the same battery as the GX9 which is a plus for me

Can either of you steer me to which shuter speds to try so I can test the combination please?
I've been running my GX7 for ten years now and haven't seen any sign of this phenomenon. Could be that you'll have the same experience...

Camera Panasonic GX7 with 12-32 on clothes pole TZ70 P1030602.jpg

Last edited:

To avoid SS I think you should stay above 1/250 sec.

I've never seen a complete list of affected lenses so it's down to research the lenses you are interested in. I was surprised to see that my Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2 displayed the issue.

Good luck the new kit.

To avoid SS I think you should stay above 1/250 sec.

I've never seen a complete list of affected lenses so it's down to research the lenses you are interested in. I was surprised to see that my Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2 displayed the issue.

Good luck the new kit.
Thanks Alan, I'll only be using the 12-32 because of what I am planning to use it for so I'll quickly find out if I have a problem.

Hope so Andrew.

I hope so too but it's just too much of a lottery for me so I avoid it by using cameras with the redesigned shutter. Andrew is a law unto himself.

Googling will confirm it's a know and recognised issue and indeed Panasonic redesigned the shutter to reduce it.

Back