Street Photography - Ever been confronted?

I'm exactly the same. I see a shot I would like to take but am to busy worrying if the person will care. By the time I've done thinking about it it's to late to take it. I went down to Southend shakedown on Monday and there were loads of biker gangs etc and one bloke was huge (tall and wide), smothered in tattoos and had his patch on and thought it would have been a good shot as he was talking to a tiny guy, but as i got closer he looked like he wouldn't think twice about killing me if I was up in his face taking a picture of him LOL but I regretted it after went back to try again and he was gone :( so from now on I think I'll just have to take the risk haha! :D

I didn't read all of the replies so forgive me if it's been ask but have you considered a longer lens to separate yourself from the subjects? I use a 70-200 2.8II all the time. Being further away allows you to make adjustments and also keep the candidness of the shot. It's a lot of fun. Oh and don't let the selfprolaimed experts or the guy that quotes what he conciders the "best street photographer" tell you that using a zoom is not street photography. As long as you are having fun, getting the shots you like then how you pull it off is up to you.

:canon:

I'm exactly the same. I see a shot I would like to take but am to busy worrying if the person will care. By the time I've done thinking about it it's to late to take it. I went down to Southend shakedown on Monday and there were loads of biker gangs etc and one bloke was huge (tall and wide), smothered in tattoos and had his patch on and thought it would have been a good shot as he was talking to a tiny guy, but as i got closer he looked like he wouldn't think twice about killing me if I was up in his face taking a picture of him LOL but I regretted it after went back to try again and he was gone :( so from now on I think I'll just have to take the risk haha! :D

Don't worry your face will heal! :ROFLMAO:

I didn't read all of the replies so forgive me if it's been ask but have you considered a longer lens to separate yourself from the subjects? I use a 70-200 2.8II all the time.

My favourite lens for street so far is the 135mm f2, with and without the 1.4tc

I havent done full on street photogrpahy.. I have taken the odd pic..and in my work i take lots of people pics in allsorts of controlled and candid situations......

However the thought does occur... what if you went the opposite way about things.... buy a hi viz vest stating PHOTOGRPAHER . put some sort of id tag around you neck...and stood in the middle of the street taking pics.. must would avoid eye contact anyway.. some would wave and smile but doubt anyone would confront as they would presume you are meant to be there...thats how peoples minds work in my experience.. if they think your supposed to be there they dont question.. :)

This works! I did it last year when I was refused permission to take pictures at a particular location. I Put on a full size hi viz coat and went about taken photographs like I owned the place and wasn't challenged once. (Photos were only landscapes nothing 'sensitive')

This works! I did it last year when I was refused permission to take pictures at a particular location. I Put on a full size hi viz coat and went about taken photographs like I owned the place and wasn't challenged once. (Photos were only landscapes nothing 'sensitive')

Probably it's good idea to have a jacket with your brand name. It doesn't have to be high vis, but you get the point... a bit of free advertising too. I would leave that home when visiting London parks though...

Ive never been confronted as such but have had people say no (or put a hand up) to me when i have pointed my camera at them, i generally hold the camera up to my eye the same as for any other shot, i would never even think about this shooting from the hip thing, surely this would make people suspicious if they spot you :eek:.

For me its about judging where you are and the people, for example i would never try any street photography in Warrington town centre (my home town), it would end in disaster, probably with me getting assaulted :bat:or something of that nature.

Manchester city centre on the other hand is so diverse with so many weird and wonderful things as the norm that another bloke with a camera isn't that big a deal and most will just accept you without causing a fuss or at the most they will make it clear that they don't want there photo taking, holding the camera up to my eye is more honest than shooting from the hip and gives whoever you are taking a shot of a chance to say no if they wish, i wouldn't like to try to explain why i was being sneaky about it if caught shooting from the hip.:runaway:

Last edited:

I have blue a Hi Viz waistcoat with my logo and name on it- never been challenged at any event :D

here's the company I bought it from- http://www.hivis.co.uk/custom-printed-hi-vis-vest.html

Les ;)

That does remind me actually, this lady put her hand up over her face towards me

FQ2A3634 by dancook1982, on Flickr

I just lowered my camera, smiled and nodded - and she smiled back. This was in Covent Garden.

Another time I took a photo of a man, and he then started saying "OI OI OI OI OIOI OI OI OI" quite loudly. I looked at him, ready to diffuse the situation - but he didn't appear to be looking AT me, I assume he may have had a mental disability - he didn't try to confront me, so I just continued walking away.

That does remind me actually, this lady put her hand up over her face towards me

I just lowered my camera, smiled and nodded - and she smiled back. This was in Covent Garden.

Another time I took a photo of a man, and he then started saying "OI OI OI OI OIOI OI OI OI" quite loudly. I looked at him, ready to diffuse the situation - but he didn't appear to be looking AT me, I assume he may have had a mental disability - he didn't try to confront me, so I just continued walking away.

I like to tell them "don't worry I don't work for Americas most wanted". I think that makes them seem a bit on the silly side and generally defuses any confrontation. Of course I keep walking as a say that so I'm never around long enough for them to argue.

Touch wood I've never been confronted so far - although due to my disability I'm always out on a mobility scooter so right or wrong I feel less likely that people would argue with me.. I also kind of weigh people up before to think do they look like the sort of person that'd take offense to me taking their picture... like I say so far I've not had one person complain and thats been with my Sony A57 DSLR..

I'm in a similar position to you with regards cameras - got the bigger Sony A57 DSLR but contemplating something more compact as I do feel concious about using the larger DSLR at times..

As a side I've started to carry around some business cards with me now that have my name, flickr address etc on.. so if I did get confronted or I'm taking one of the capture a stranger shots I'm doing currently then I can hand them a card so they can look at my work for themselves and see im not some kind of pervy weirdo taking random pics.. lol

That's really good. Have you ever considered getting a ball and socket head (quick release plate) fitted to the front ? I think you would be able to get some very good images when combined with a remote release. I think it could also engage people and have a very positive effect. Would be very handy for some street time-lapse too. I don't think it would work in every case but it would offer up a lot of creative opportunities.

Edited to add 'opportunities'

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

Last edited:
Hi, Whenever I venture out to do some street photography I wear a hi viz vest with photographer printed on it at about the right breast pocket area, and on the the left breast pocket area I pin a genuine CRB check badge. As yet I have never been confronted by anyone in a public area. If I want to take some shots in a shopping centre etc I try to find a member of the security team and ask them first if it's in order for me to take photographs and abide by what they say. They usually say No Shots of Shop Fronts or Entrances and leave me to it, ocasionally they will even walkabout with you for a while. I think it's all down to the way you aproach things and I'm sure the hi viz vest helps one hell of a lot.

Not yet.

I've also started a 100 strangers project and I tell the subjects about it and where they can see the photos online if they wish too, I also show them on the back of the camera at the time.

I've had a couple of people hide or cover their faces once I lift the camera to take the photo, I just smile and don't bother, they've always smiled back.

Ironically I was challenged today and asked if I was a professional by a hiviz wearing official type- I could tell the correct answer was 'no' and technically I'm semi-professional and in that capacity was shooting for fun so it was an honest answer:). He was happy with that and went on to give me a couple of stories which was fine.

No one else bothered me so - look like you're meant to be there- (and look like me:p) and you get left alone, apart from occasional hi-viz types it seems:D.

In contrast to wearing a fluorescent vest. I try to blend in to the surrounding and dumb down the fact or give the impression that I know anything about photography. Quite easy when I'm in York I just blend in with the tourists with my point and shoot.

For me its about judging where you are and the people, for example i would never try any street photography in Warrington town centre (my home town), it would end in disaster, probably with me getting assaulted :bat:or something of that nature.

I think your being a little over cautious John, sure its easier in a touristy area where people expect to see cameras used but your missing out if you restrict yourself to those areas. I shot a set in a local provincial market recently and it was quite early in the morning so there wasn't to many around and it went fine. I did stand out because of the time of day but other than one confrontation, which ended well, I had no problems

Steve

Indeed, try a tourist area where the place is awash with cameras to build up your confidence. Your never going to bump into these people again like your hometown. I might as I live in York :)

Recently I tried something that I had never tried before. I had my camera strap around my shoulder and had the wired remote attached to it. I could aim the camera from chest level and fire it remotely without people realizing what I was doing for the most part. I found that I don't really care for this method because I did not have the control I like to have when shooting. It just did not feel like photography as I know it for the most part. I felt like I was taking snap shots with my point and shoot and that's not why I took up photography. I put this out there for others because it may be something that may really work for you. Especially if you have a 600D or another camera with the flip out screen (miss that option).

The only time I really tried to get some 'street' shots I think I dwelled on this couple too long ... I struggled to get decent exposure and positioning as they messed about amongst the crowds at Buck Palace. At this point, I think they'd clocked me and got fed up, with the girl actually restraining her fella :D I left them to it after that ;)

Indeed, try a tourist area where the place is awash with cameras to build up your confidence. Your never going to bump into these people again like your hometown. I might as I live in York :)
I'm thinking of York next for some more street photography. I'm there at the racecourse most Saturdays anyway just a matter if convincing the better half to hang around for a couple of hours.

Steve

I just use a Ricoh GRD IV, set on snap focus at 2.5M and around f5.6 Due to small sensor and widish lens it is difficult not to have things in focus. With practice you get to the point where you don't really need to even look at the screen to take shots and know the framing, hold the camera straight etc,. I think a good compact is fine for street shots as they are not about ultimate IQ to me.

So I have the technique covered, pity about the poor eye for interesting shots....

As a film shooter I tend to see that I only have one or two chances at a shot. Some days I have more nerve than others and I also have more nerve when I am away from where I live. The shot below was taken in Birmingham, the guy was a street preacher, I shot this with a Nikon F100 with a 19mm lens so had to be right in front of him, he was not happy but I smiled, thanked him and turned and walked away. I have taken this 'in your face approach' a few times and it has got a little hairy, but mainly cross looks from people. On more than one occasion I have stopped and talked to the person and explained I am a street photographer and they looked interesting. I can't offer to delete the picture and the fact I am using a film camera has on several occasions diffused the situation with comments like, 'I didn't think they made film anymore!' I am coming to the view that being overt might be less suspicious than when I am trying to be covert and stealthy, when perhaps I look more like I was furtive and up to no good! I am still learning and I am certainly not saying go out and get into peoples faces, we all have to find our own way, but I am slowly pushing my own boundaries and when things get difficult I am now trying to engage them in conversation, with hindsight I really regret not doing this with the guy in the picture below.

8620938444_d59d03f83d_b.jpg

I'm thinking of York next for some more street photography. I'm there at the racecourse most Saturdays anyway just a matter if convincing the better half to hang around for a couple of hours.

Steve

York is brilliant for street photography as it's another tourist destination and there's always cameras around. It's a pretty interesting place as well.

You know my views dan, I just shot, or if very close, shot from the hip for the interesting angle.

I got challenged when shooting in the park a couple of years ago by a very aggressive mum, who carried on even when I offered to show her the shot, gave her my card with details on it, asked if she wanted a copy. I was with my wife and dog and it was quite embarrassing in a busy area and in the end walked to the wardens office and called the police.

The wardens calmed her down but it wasn't a pleasant experience. It's been the only time though. Most of the time you get away with everything with a smile.

That image that had the mother so irate:
148282682.jpg

Canon 50D, 1/1250s f/4.0 at 105.0mm iso800

I think your being a little over cautious John, sure its easier in a touristy area where people expect to see cameras used but your missing out if you restrict yourself to those areas. I shot a set in a local provincial market recently and it was quite early in the morning so there wasn't to many around and it went fine. I did stand out because of the time of day but other than one confrontation, which ended well, I had no problems

Steve

I assume you have never been to Warrington town centre then, its basically been split into two halves, one halve has the shopping centre and i wouldn't be allowed to take any photos around there (there was a thread on here about the over zealous security) and the other half is cash generators and charity shops.

I took a few wide angle test shots one day, on getting home and looking at the shots on one of them there was five (separate) people all looking at me with not happy looks on there faces, there is a lot of misplaced attitude and anger in Warrington.

That image that had the mother so irate:
148282682.jpg

Canon 50D, 1/1250s f/4.0 at 105.0mm iso800
That's a great shot, shame on her! Ignorance.

That said I was shooting on the beach in wales once , landscapes, sea, rocks, etc and this strange bloke came up to me and asked if I was taking pictures of children, I said no and off he went, when I think back on that scene, I suspect he may have been more pleased if I said yes!!

The only time I really tried to get some 'street' shots I think I dwelled on this couple too long ... I struggled to get decent exposure and positioning as they messed about amongst the crowds at Buck Palace. At this point, I think they'd clocked me and got fed up, with the girl actually restraining her fella :D I left them to it after that ;)

Thats the one big thing,if you cant get the shot move on,if you dwell to long on one person/persons they will notice you and some will react :)

I take peoples pictures and then look over there shoulder or past them as if to say they are in the way.. its easy and they do look around to see what your photogprahing..if they are stubborn i then purposely take a pic of anything thats behind them.. too late the moments gone and they carry on with what they where doing.. works every time for me.. they feel to stupid to ask if taking photo of them when obviously its summat behind them..

I tend to take this route as well when I take pictures on the street(which isn't often and mostly when I'm in London), if I was questioned I'd probably just say I was taking it for artistic purposes before becoming too confrontational about my "rights".

As far as focal length goes there does seem to be an element of macho one upmanship from certain people, as if shoving the widest lens possible into someones face was the ultimate proof of talent. Personally I think that style of shooting seems to give rather limited results as your just getting shot after shot of people reacting to having a lens stuffed in their face. If your going to interact with people I'd say it needs to be actually talking to them and maybe directing them somewhat rather than just braving a negative reaction.

I ask as I am not aware of such a thing existing

and more important the general public dont know.. you could ahve got it out of a lucky bag ...

where does on get one of those.?

I think you can buy them of the internet :D.

A lot of years ago i was on a job in Thailand,when a big story broke in Burma and i needed an international press pass,i when thought the proper channels to get one cost me a bit,while i was hanging around Bangkok waiting to see if we could cross into Burma,i found i could get an fake one for 1/4 of the price on the black market,and looking at them i couldn't tell the different,plus they were selling degrees for any univ you liked anywhere in the world.

That's a great shot, shame on her! Ignorance.

That said I was shooting on the beach in wales once , landscapes, sea, rocks, etc and this strange bloke came up to me and asked if I was taking pictures of children, I said no and off he went, when I think back on that scene, I suspect he may have been more pleased if I said yes!!

I hate when that happen,i usually ask them why are they asking and who are they,and why are they asking about children,usually that get rid of them,and if it turn out to be a concern parent i tell them you can look at my photos if you like :)

As we have discussed before, a CRB is just a disclosure to a potential employer of your criminal record. It's not something which you pass or fail.

Steve.

Oh I know, I just wondered where you get the badge and if they sell t-shirts too

A lot of years ago i was on a job in Thailand,when a big story broke in Burma and i needed an international press pass,i when thought the proper channels to get one cost me a bit,while i was hanging around Bangkok waiting to see if we could cross into Burma,i found i could get an fake one for 1/4 of the price on the black market,and looking at them i couldn't tell the different,plus they were selling degrees for any univ you liked anywhere in the world.

Its impossible to get a fake UK press pass. (whish is ironic as they look like a 7 yr old has made them) ...I ahvent heard of any organisation in the UK that recognises the pass your reffering to either...

Its impossible to get a fake UK press pass. (whish is ironic as they look like a 7 yr old has made them) ...I ahvent heard of any organisation in the UK that recognises the pass your reffering to either...

The NUJ not only recognise them, they issue them:- http://www.nuj.org.uk/join/presscards/ and moving on.........

I mentioned York yesterday being good for street photography. Well,strangely enough after posting this I walked into town (City to be correct). It was raining so I took my pocketable coat camera (Fuji X10) with me with the intention of not doing 'street' but to record some reflections which always make good subjects in monochrome. I particulary like the contrasts of the pavements after the rain. There I was minding my own business in the 'Shambles' which was otherwise deserted, unusual for York but not unexpected because of this rain when this person who had the whole street to walk up, with a pavement to his left or right choose to walk right up the centre and right up to me. He stopped just in front of me and stood still. 'I said can I help you ?' he just looked at me blankly and walked off muttering under his breath. I have experienced people walking into shot before but nothing so blatant as that. That was a deliberate attempt to unnerve me. It didn't work. Never an issue up until yesterday and then that !

Back