street photography is embarrassing

It's small steps though. I'm getting there but I started by getting used to being 'caught' taking candids of friends and family, then getting 'caught' by friends of friends, now I'm feeling better about taking pictures of strangers as a result.

I think for some (me!) it's just a slow process.

thanks for that. i will give that a try.

im sure if anyone objected to me i could easily handle it etc but i cant get over the "intrusion" barrier, bad for a tog huh:shrug:;)

Ok, here's another suggestion..

Have a 'street photography memory card', one where you don't delete the best shots from the day after you've transferred to the computer so you're card always has a few tens of your best (recent) work. Have a flick through those images a few minutes before you go out shooting to remind yourself of why you do it and that it's worth any potential embarrassment.
I find that if I've taken a couple of great shots it inspires me to take more and be braver!

Plus if someone does walk over and ask you what you're up to you can show them some of your work to deflect any suspicion.

i wish, i work weekends. my only free day for photography is on a monday.

might have to get a day off one weekend.

There are a few small minded people out there who will question what you're doing, you must be a p**** or a terrorist with a camera like that! Just deal with them at the time, I find now that the majority of people don't notice/mind/realised they're being photographed.

I still have awkward moments when out with the camera, but they will go eventually :)

One of my options was to make up some business cards, that way when someone accuses/questions you, you can just hand them a card and say have a look at my flickr/site and see what I'm up to. Would leave them intrigued/make them wonder away from you!

Some good advice here for me being new at it (y)

I'v been out twice in my town (Aldershot), the first time i was threatened with violence, the second i was evicted from the shopping mall by some jobsworth securetity guard :LOL:

And it's not like i'm in there faces, just :wacky: i guess.

i was evicted from the shopping mall by some jobsworth securetity guard :LOL:

Shopping Malls may very likely be private property and photography may not be allowed - up to the owners. On a public street you should have no problems.

Anyway, a few tips:

- Be confident. If you aren't naturally confident, pretend to be.

- Memorise a reply if someone comes up to you and asks what you're doing.

- Know your rights as a photographer.

- Dress appropriately.

EDIT: Expose yourself to as much street/documentary photos as possible. You'll get a better idea of what works, what to look out for, and most importantly you'll keep yourself inspired. I suggest looking at Severin Koller's blog - his street work is fantastic.

loved the edit on this post TIP...Expose yourself, lol

I just tried it for he first time this weekend and I did find it hard,after reading this thread I see what I was dong wrong,I was trying to take the pic when the person wasn't looking so must of came across as a weido,instead of being confident.

Last edited:
The right to have time to get out of the shot? As soon as anyone reacts to the camera the moment is gone for me.

I'm not a fan of Gilden's methods or work particularly though.

I don't mean go up and ask them to sign a consent form :p. I mean more like that Joel Meyerowitz style on the link shown :). He is invisible... nobody notices he is there or bats an eyelid so he still gets his "spontaneous" shots but no one gets offended or feels violated!

I'm not sure that there is anything particularly wrong with Bruce Gilden's method of photography...

You seriously can't see anything wrong with popping off a flash right into a random passerby's eyes? I hope he gets someone with photosensitive epilepsy one time and gets his ass properly handed to him in court for assault :). I seriously can't stand people like that. Over here I'm pretty sure he could still be done for Breach of the Peace or Antisocial Behavour.

you can put the camera on a tripod with a specific angle and use the remote to trigger, people pay less attention.
but this is not handy to take particular shoot i agree..

The only way I found to get used to it is just to do it more! Then you don't feel uncomfortable and start to focus on getting on with the job at hand...

A little intrusive if you ask me. Not a fan of his work either.

Indeed. Jumping straight into the path of someone and blasting them with a face-full of flash is a very annoying way to shoot street portraits. I'm surprised most people just shrug and carry on!

The results aren't all that special either.

Aldershot is a military town isn't it? Apart from the conversation about the intrusion factor,
is there a fear in the town about it being a targeted? ie do you feel that people might look at you as if you were a dodgy geezer?

architectfadi said:
I find it easier with my P&S. Once I get my DSLR it seems that everyone is trying to avoid me ;)

Same here, although I've just got the 14mm pancake lens for my gf1 so it makes it more bearable to use that.

Its also a lot easier doing this kind of stuff in obvious touristy locations, rather than in the local high street as well I've found.

I hope you're joking! More like how to be a t**t! If someone did that to me they'd be extremely lucky not to have their equipment smashed on the ground! Photographers may have rights and all but I believe the subject should also have the right to have time to get out of the shot if they don't want to be in it! What he is doings extremely rude and he's just asking for someone to give him a good punch to the face!

Saying that I am not a violent person at all :p, I just feel very strongly about manners!

I'm not getting this manners thing, you are not stealing someones soul, just taking a pic. What is it with all the vioelnt reactions?

I hate it. Walking around Plymouth just with a D70 people were getting in my face telling me I had no rights and allsorts. Ended up talking to a randomer who was in his words a "secret alcoholic" and it didnt seem moral to take his picture.

I much prefer using a long lens, they dont even know your there.

I had this problem. I still do. But I'll always remember someone once told me on here "being Asian can be an advantage as you look like a tourist". Makes me feel more confident.

Back