Street Photography

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
Something that I love but often find unable to do is street photography. I was out the other night with a group on an urban picnic event. I didn't know anyone there, but I had seen the photographer at other events. I was on my own, with a group of strangers and at best I was able to ask the other photog a couple of simple questions. I watched her work as she moved about people snapping away without a care in the world. She was documenting the event, and quite well too. So when I wanted to take a photo of someone what happened? I got scared, shy, the usual. If I point my camera at someone are they going to kill me, no. Are they going to sue me, no. They'll probably want to talk to me about it out of curiosity. No-one had any issue with the other photographer but I was just too damn shy to do anything. It took me about 30 mins to engage someone else in conversation and I was fine with them once I did. The whole night annoyed me. I got some great photos of other little gems around the city centre's back streets but I was looking forward to street photography that night and I failed.

I keep thinking that if I could just break this sodding wall that comes up when I'm out my life will be brilliant. I'll be able to chat to anyone, shoot anyone on the street and not have any issues. Sure things might go bad but I'll be able to handle it. I guess all that comes with time and practice. Its weird really as I've done street photography a few times and been fine. I've even been accused of stalking some girl in Toronto but I was fine. I guess I've just lost the feel for it. Anyways I found this site the other day which is proving to be a great read. 2point8. Its got lots of advice on street photography. There's also this video showing just how easy it seems. I can't believe people use a 28mm lens, its crazy.

This is a real problem for me too. I always feel uncomfortable if taking pictures where people are in frame ...............

I hear where your coming from regarding being shy in the company of strangers, that's something I too suffer from.

As for the street photography, I think there are several issues over getting assaulted and have your equipment stolen.

I'm sure some streets and city's will be much easier to shoot in than others. If your in Mathew Street Liverpool I doubt there would be a problem as the place will be full of folk taking photos and one more would not be noticed, but in other street in Liverpool you would really stand out. Manchester is another place where it would depend on which road your on, get near Exchange Square and it's always surprising how my folk with SLRs there are shooting but walk half a mile away and you'll not see any cameras.

The chap in the video did make it look easy, but notice he was all in black with black hat trying to blend in, also New York is full of nutters so nobody will notice a chap and a camera.

Does give some inspiration to get out there and give the landscape a miss for a while.

Having only been into photography a few months I often feel selfconcious when shooting, and not just when taking candids.

I find remembering the quote below genuinely helps!

Alfred Eisenstaedt - "When I have a camera in my hand, I know no fear"

Alfred Eisenstaedt - "When I have a camera in my hand, I know no fear"

Yup I know what you mean. When I look through the lens I do feel detached and able to do anything. Some days it takes a fair bit getting to that point though. I've been down Matthew Street and it is always popular with tourists. You're right, it probably is a good place to blend in. I've been around Bold street too and thats a great spot. There's always colourful characters there, but not as many photographers. Having a 30D + grip + 24-70, soon to be white Canon 24-70, makes me stand out a mile. I reckon a small black digital compact could be the way. Leica like. Its all about confidence though, which I need to build up again.

What helps me when I'm doing street photography is that I dump the SLR and dig out my Contax Rangefinder and use the 45mm or even the 28mm if I'm feeling brave.

I would suggest to everyone who wants to try street that dumping the SLR is a good thing to do. Having just recently seen a picture of myself head on pointing an SLR at the picture taker I was shocked at how intimidating this looked. A smaller, quieter camera seems much more appropriate for street work IMHO. :)

And I agree with Pete, confidence helps. Being shy just makes you look shifty and sneaky. :cautious:

Of course, despite the above my street images are still c**p! :LOL:

I reckon a small black digital compact could be the way.

I'm not so sure about that. The big camera may look imposing but it doesn't look like you are trying to conceil what you are doing. Small camera and sneakiness says pervy to me. :LOL:

Best bit of advice for this IMHO is to treat it as a performance. Take a deep breath, smile(yes with teeth) and get out in front of the public.Approach with camera down and ask away. The worst that can happen really is your told to **** off. So **** off and ask someone else! What do ya think? Goood Plan?!

I'm not so sure about that. The big camera may look imposing but it doesn't look like you are trying to conceil what you are doing. Small camera and sneakiness says pervy to me. :LOL:

Its worked for street photographers since street photography started. Small Leica's used by HCB etc.

Best bit of advice for this IMHO is to treat it as a performance. Take a deep breath, smile(yes with teeth) and get out in front of the public.Approach with camera down and ask away. The worst that can happen really is your told to **** off. So **** off and ask someone else! What do ya think? Goood Plan?!

I've had mixed success with that. There's two types of street photography. Posed people on the street, and candids documenting street life. I prefer candids so you can't ask people. Essentially if feels like you're invading someones privacy in public. The obvious thing is to ask but then you've changed the event and they'll pose. I did some street portraits last year for a magazine and luckily I was working with someone so it was fun. If someone turned you down you could laugh it off with your other partner. This was especially helpful when one girl ran away screaming. Her other friend ran after her saying "Its ok, its for a magazine." So sometimes asking isn't the best way ;)

I can't believe people use a 28mm lens, its crazy.

Can't believe I missed that bit.

I must be crazy then. :wacky:

What I do is:
Set aperture.
Prefocus.
Watch people around me.
See something and quickly lift the camera to my eye, and with both eyes open go 'snick' with the shutter and drop the camera again.
Keep moving confidently with camera in hand and without a care in the world.

But like I said, my pics are still c**p. :LOL:

Also it's reasonably easy (read very hard actually) to shoot from the hip with the camera prefocused. :D

The caveat to all this is that I have done this very rarely because I have to be in just the right kind of mood and frame of mind.

Its worked for street photographers since street photography started. Small Leica's used by HCB etc.

:agree:

Pete, go out and buy yourself a nice Voightlander Bessa or something similar and get clicking with your leet street skills. ;)

Again, dump the SLR. You do not want to be obvious and you do not want to intimidate IMHO. Wander around with a hoooge SLR and people will stop, stare and wonder what you're up to spoiling the whole reason for doing street.

Me yesterday (read last week) wearing the latest in NOT a street photographer fashions.

KenyaApr2007_105.jpg

I was scaring Hyaenas with that kit, not something I'd want in a street environment. Actually, hyaenas in the street would be an improvement on some of the people around these parts. :D

There seems a lot of us who fancy this but are too shy/introverted.
I think the compact idea sort of kills it a bit and yet it may be a good way to actually get started and build up a bit of confidence of being 'out there'.

Those of us who fancy it could decide a date in the not too distant future, and on said date ... we could all post/discuss our efforts.
It would be interesting to see how/who got what and with what equipment.
Just thinking out loud here.

I like to try my hand occasionally, and I'm not really the shy type, although I’m am possibly over polite and also don't like to upset or stress anyone by being pushy….which I can easily do if I didn’t think.

My technique seems to be, be very friendly, use smiley confidence, move quickly and apologise afterwards. :LOL:

..I say it’s for my art etc.

Generally I find people respond well to flattery and enjoy the attention…that combined with the all important fantasy that their being photographed by a pro..A successful pro, who will make wonderful and beautiful images out of them...they really like that fantasy ...well who wouldn't.. I certainly do. Lol..

...I just go along with the fantasy and treat them like they are in the spot light; this can also mean I can get them to pose willingly...or for me, un-pose, or work or something, etc.

There seems a lot of us who fancy this but are too shy/introverted.
I think the compact idea sort of kills it a bit and yet it may be a good way to actually get started and build up a bit of confidence of being 'out there'.

I disagree.

The compact or rangefinder idea does not kill street photography. IMO SLRs kill the idea of street phorography.

In this country at least there is a perception amongst non-photographers that an SLR on the street is associated with the Paps and photo journalists. So when they notice you with one they think, 'is there someone famous about?', or 'what's happening? Why are the press here?'. This changes the whole dynamic on the street and the whole reason for street photgraphy. In my considered opinion of course. ;)

I have noticed that even a humble 30D with a 24-70 attached is considered a huge camera by some of the non-togs that I have come across.

Agreed. White lens = pap / press by non-photogs. I think your best bet would be a gripless camera + 50mm lens.

Just a tad out my price range :D

:LOL:

At least I didn't point you at top end Leicas eh? :p

But you can find decently priced rangefinders on Ebay.

I managed to get a Contax G2 (not really a traditional Rangefinder but still nice small and quiet), along with a flash, the Carl Zeiss 2.8 28mm, 2.0 45mm and 2.8 90mm all for less than £600. :D

I have my heart set on a Leica M8, when I can afford one. I'll probably get an M6 first but thats still a ways off. Money in goes on work for now :(

Ooooh she's lovely. I'd be tempted to buy her dinner and a movie :D Only £45 too, which makes me wonder what the catch is.

Ooooh she's lovely. I'd be tempted to buy her dinner and a movie :D Only £45 too, which makes me wonder what the catch is.

Cheap Date then. :p

I don't think there is a catch. When I was investigating buying something and ended up with the G2, I noticed many similar cameras. It feels about the right sort of price for a nice copy.

If you really find it daunting photographing folks in the street and I'm the first to admit can be....

Set your 50mm or medium wide angle lens to the hyperfocal distance setting for around f8 and set f8 as your aperture assuming you have a reasonably quick shutter speed. A bit of insulating tape around the lens will prevent you moving the focus postion. You're basically turning your DSLR into an Instamatic. :)

Hang the camera around your neck at a height where it points forward reasonably level. fit a cable release to the side of the camera and run the cable inside your jacket, through the lining into a pocket. Better make it an old jacket. ;)

You can now walk around with both hands in your pockets and take shots in real stealth mode.

The biggest problem is still the awful shutter clatter from your average DSLR. Leicas are the chosen strreet togs weapon for good reason. :woot:

I admit I feel very uncomfortable doing street photography too. I have tried doing it discreetly, but a whopping great DSLR clattering away is anything but discreet. The one time I did have some fun was at Silverstone, when a friend had brought his shiny new 12-24 lens along... point at something, photograph someone to left or right who doesn't even realise they are in shot ;)

I do like CT's cable idea though :nuts:

I've thought about the cable idea but the noise is obvious and I dunno if feels like I'm trying to hide it then. Its like I'm trying to not get caught. I'd rather become more relaxed and confident shooting openly. "Hi yeah I'm doing street photography documenting city life." I've got the site to back me up, the business cards, and I plan on buying someones balls off ebay ;)

What I sometimes do is pick a spot and wait.

What Ive actually done, is stand still for a few moments, with the camera to the eye. Dont point it at anything, just point it in front of you and take a few breaths...Dont press the shutter. Just stand still, like you're waiting for something to happen.

It gives you that few moments to get used to your surroundings and having the camera "there" with all those people around you.

Hehe I tried that the other week. Anyone remember the 300D advert where the crowds stop at either side of the photog? Yeah that happened :D

It's a wierd one! For some reason I get scared trying to do street photography (with a stills camera) but don't mind at all with a video camera. Can't work out why, but I can quite happily stand there with a video camera on a busy street filming crows or events with lots of people there....I really don't get it!

If you've got a real wide angle lens another trick is to point your camera past that old tramp on the bench, seemingly engrossed with something else, while you're actually composing your shot with him well off centre in the frame.

Hehe I tried that the other week. Anyone remember the 300D advert where the crowds stop at either side of the photog? Yeah that happened :D

That's happened to me so many times ! People can actually be polite and wait for you to take a photograph sometimes. I remember sitting on a bench in Bristol city centre taking photographs of some people passing by a fixed spot. Put camera down and 5 or so people looking at me either side wondering if they could walk by :LOL:, others standing behind me wondering what I was taking a photo of.

Voids appear around photographers when cameras get lifted up. People can get paranoid or agressive or stick fingers up or worse !. Not the easiest of professions but worth it

London is probably one of the best places for street photography - it's quite easy to mingle in with the all the tourists wielding cameras. A day out with Arkady will soon put anyone's nerves at ease ;)

I noticed that last time I was there. There's so many people with cameras that you can easily get people shots.

A lot of these 'tips & tricks' go against the whole ethos of street photography. Standing in public with a camera concealed under your jacket is only going to reinforce the idea that you're doing something shifty, when the emphasis ought to be on building the confidence to take the pictures openly, honestly and without apology or subversive tactics.

The pages Pete linked to in the opening post give the best advice, although there's still a lot of personal opinion mixed in with the good stuff, especially in the "how to" articles on that 2point8 site.

I'm 95% sure its all down to balls. HCB and Martin Parr have both taken some dull images but they're able to get into situations that allow them to at least take the images. There's so much we don't see really. We see the final image and it looks like they walked up to someone, took a photo and walked off. They could have been there for hours shooting 10 rolls before they got that 1 shot. Need more documentaries on street photography :)

Don't forget the hit rate.

If you're a professional photographer/artist then that's what you fill your days with. And if you're out there most days, you'll get the chances to take some truly great photographs.

Have a look at the yearly output from famous snappers you admire. They don't produce that many photos each year, they just manage to dine out on the same photos for many years because they're producing enduring (literally) images.

Standing in public with a camera concealed under your jacket is only going to reinforce the idea that you're doing something shifty, when the emphasis ought to be on building the confidence to take the pictures openly, honestly and without apology or subversive tactics.

Exactly. :clap:

Come to think of it, it may be a nice idea to have weeky/fortnightly challenges, would it not?

Do these happen already? or are there better places for that sort of thing? :thinking:

I do participate in Weeklyshot and stuff like that.

EDIT: Just seen the competitions section :bonk:

Back