Beginner Street Photography

Name
Dade
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just finished a blog post on street photography that may be of use to the beginners in the group. Feel free to check it out and leave comments. It is not made to be an indepth guide but things to think about and consider when taking street photography shots.
http://www.dadefreeman.com/blog/the-art-of-street-photography

I hope someone finds it useful ;)

Great post, left a comment. Loving the shots.

I too love Street photography and I am learning more and more. Love a bit of graffiti work now and then. People and buildings together are interesting things if you look at things in a different way.

Nice article with some nice suggestions. I personally always feel strange photographing strangers, like I'm intruding.
Loved your portrait work as well, following you now on FB/G+

Awesome post and photos. I want to get into street photography and photojournalism. Question though, for subjects like that guy that turned next to the wall of graffiti, did you get a model release for that?

I have to admit I really did not want to open this just to see another so called expert mislead everyone with their "you have to shoot with a 50mm set to f8" bull. I do a lot of street shots and I use a long lens most of the time and I get told that is wrong so often it's not even funny. It was so refreshing to see you advise people to make their own choices and use their own creativity to do street shots. Street shooting is no different then any other shooting and should be as objective as anything we do in photography. You gave some really good advise. I do a lot of what you said and it works for me. I find myself positioning so that the subject will walk in front of the background I have chosen. This is at the forefront of almost all of my street shots. Anyway, thanks again for what I would consider some really good advise for anyone getting into street photography.

:canon::exit:

Awesome post and photos. I want to get into street photography and photojournalism. Question though, for subjects like that guy that turned next to the wall of graffiti, did you get a model release for that?

I am from the u.s but I think it is the same in the UK. If you are in a public place taking a shot of someone you do not need their permission. Double check but I think that is how it works there too.

Nice article with some nice suggestions. I personally always feel strange photographing strangers, like I'm intruding.
Loved your portrait work as well, following you now on FB/G+

That is one reason I started using a long lens. I did not feel right sticking a camera in someones face for a shot. Not only did it lose the candid part of the shot it also left me with no time to adjust, compose and correct anything I needed to do. I felt like I would of been better off with a point and shoot for that method of shooting. So if you have not tried a longer lens I recommend you give it a try. It is a lot of fun. Oh and don't worry about the closed minded people that call you a sniper. lol

Thank you for the comments and feedback. As Shaylou stated, brihalbach, it was a public street so no model release is required in the UK. Although do check the laws in your own regions as they do differ.

Very informative blog and a good read. Some great shots on there too. I've just dipped my toe in the water regarding street photography and found it quite addictive looking forward to trying some of your suggestions next time I'm out.

Steve

Last edited:
Back