Street portrait candid

Looks like he has just been kicked in a rather sensitive area..............................:)

A great facial expression on this one.

My personal thoughts, crop the image into portrait so only he is the focal point ( I find the other gentlemans face slightly distracting), I would also consider a mono conversion as his face has lots of detail that is crying out for a gritty mono.

Something like this but with a bit more grit (my edit was done in MS Photo which doesn't allow for enhanced tweaks to create that effect)
ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1447759165.080853.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's one where the colour version works better for me, even though it looks like a classic b&w subject. I'm guessing the sun's in his eyes and is also causing the big highlight to the left of his head, and I'm wondering if toning down or removing the highlight would improve the photo?

Thanks guys. Mono works but I feel the colour works more as it adds to the overall feel and contrast and mono is a little cliched here.
The highlight was a tricky one as one hand it draws the eye a little, but on the other hand, it tells the viewer what he's squinting at. Was definitely tempted to clone out the white stripe on his jacket though

View attachment 50607

Your thoughts would be interesting on this one folks. Thanks

That guy in the bottom left corner is the same guy you shot the other day, and posted up here.... so remove him. He's also adding nothing to the image other than a distraction. We're hard-wired to look for faces, which is why we see them everywhere... in tree trunks, clouds... we just do. We have built in "facial recognition" software far more sophisticated than anything we can devise ourselves... crop him out.

Interesting thoughts so thanks again. I get the whole attraction to faces thing, as it's the same with text, certain patterns and colours etc. But, it's just a straight portrait shot without him, and I'm not sure if I want to go down that route. And I'm not sure if it takes some of the interest out out of the shot. I never would, but of course if I were to display both shots, I wouldn't have him in both I agree.

Interesting thoughts so thanks again. I get the whole attraction to faces thing, as it's the same with text, certain patterns and colours etc. But, it's just a straight portrait shot without him, and I'm not sure if I want to go down that route. And I'm not sure if it takes some of the interest out out of the shot. I never would, but of course if I were to display both shots, I wouldn't have him in both I agree.

What do you think leaving him in adds to the shot? How is it not a portrait if you leave him in?

It adds balance and interest to an otherwise straight portrait. It all depends on your definition of portrait. It's all semantics. To me, a 'straight' portrait is a single face in a shot. A portrait could be anything depending on your definition. There are some that have seen this and not classed it as a portrait. As there's more of a story to it. As in who's the guy at the back and what's his relevance. Why's he squinting at? Etc etc

I think almost any shot is more interesting with some sort of background context - just a mug shot with no context is often of little interest and may have well have been in a photo booth

You can argue this a million ways. IMO the original is better than the crop and the conversion. I like the way there's also a distinct dividing line between the two faces for one thing. The second face gives balance and depth to the picture, and a little context. The colours add mood which the conversion takes away. Without the second head we are left with the camera club staple of an oldish bloke with a wrinkled face and grizzled beard.

I think it's because he's already posted images of the other guy. I am associating them with one another now.. it distracts me.

Thanks for the input and comments guys.
I known just what you mean about the staple shot of the old weathered face, usually in grainy high contrast mono. There's a big issue seller in Manchester that pretty much everyone with a camera has taken a shot of and converted to mono as he has just the kinda face as mentioned. And I can see why but it starts to become run of the mill.
Definitely agree on the context too, as it just adds a bit of interest and mystery. Hopefully the viewer will ask why the second face has been included. Very easy to crop him out, so if he's in, why and what's the story?
Interesting thoughts folks, most appreciated.

Back