Street Portrait- The Challenge!

I have decided to use my Medium Format 50mm & Polaroid :D

Wish me luck!!!

Gary.

Just posted, and I was driving, and did need to make a quick getaway.

Im impressed with yours, this is whats its all about.

Thanks, like yours as well.
I had to drive past mine about 5 times to get it. Was on the way back from the supermarket with the youngest in the car, and saw him asleep on the bench out of the corner of my eye. Thought that would make a cracking shot, shame not got camera, then remembered the i has the konica in the armrest. THe first one I took I had not zoomed, or sorted settings, so that came out not close enough. THen a hairy biker was stood by the door the next couple of times I drove by, and I had cars behind me, so did't get much. I did notice that the biker guy had clocked me. When I took the one I have posted, there were six or so guys in the doorway, yelling " what the F*** are you doing", so I said taking a photo and near enough wheel span off. I would have liked to have got the composition better, but hey that was the moment.

Looking at mine, is it Chris Moyles??

Just put mine up nothing special but better than nothing. :)

Au contraire, I think yours and lawrie29's are the best ones yet. Both good street shots of a situation as it is and not interfered with.
I just can't get my head around the fact that some people think it's better to jump in front of folk in order to provoke a response, which only ever achieves a somewhat manufactured end result. In my opinion those kind of shots have no real emotional value. I can spend a while looking at the likes of yours and lawrie29's images simply contemplating what's on heir minds or what the story around the shot is. Unfortunately, the manfactured reactions captured by some peoples' ideas of street photography say just one thing: person gets snapped by a photographer while thinking "what you pointing that at me for".... not much to stir the imigination.
Don't get me wrong, there are times when I've enjoyed looking at street shots when the person has been aware that they are being photographed, but there is usually a bigger picture involved. It's the "look at me I'm using a shorter lens than you" briggade that have me scratching my head :thinking:
Of course, with the title of the thread being "street portrait" my thoughts might not be relevant as I'm not 100% sure what the brief of the competition is but just thought I'd give you a bit of insight as to why I like your shot (y)

Au contraire, I think yours and lawrie29's are the best ones yet. Both good street shots of a situation as it is and not interfered with.
I just can't get my head around the fact that some people think it's better to jump in front of folk in order to provoke a response, which only ever achieves a somewhat manufactured end result. In my opinion those kind of shots have no real emotional value. I can spend a while looking at the likes of yours and lawrie29's images simply contemplating what's on heir minds or what the story around the shot is. Unfortunately, the manfactured reactions captured by some peoples' ideas of street photography say just one thing: person gets snapped by a photographer while thinking "what you pointing that at me for".... not much to stir the imigination.
Don't get me wrong, there are times when I've enjoyed looking at street shots when the person has been aware that they are being photographed, but there is usually a bigger picture involved. It's the "look at me I'm using a shorter lens than you" briggade that have me scratching my head :thinking:
Of course, with the title of the thread being "street portrait" my thoughts might not be relevant as I'm not 100% sure what the brief of the competition is but just thought I'd give you a bit of insight as to why I like your shot (y)

Each to their own, ill assume thats directed at me ;)

Actually I do disagree with you a bit about provoking a response. You actually see peoples personalities and how they feel but in a different way. If they are very confident, up for anything people you can tell that by the expression they make. And obviosly the same at the other end of the spectrum. It may not always be 100% acturate but its a great way to see how people are. I actually want a longer lens so I don't have to get quite as close though. What I actually like most is the eye contact, thats what its all about for me. I love other street shots and I like Snappers entry and have done alot like that myself but at the moment im going through a faze of capturing people looking at the camera. There is also the thrill of it, like none other in photography experienced. Its so satisfying getting the shot and then having a quick chat with them afterwards. What im really aiming for is this stuff from a guy on flickr who does homeless people and are amazing. It's all about the eye contact and the only way to get that with a 50mm is jump in front of them or ask their permission which I did with this guy for an experiment. Of course it would be cheating if I entered this one :)

Samaratan004-1.jpg

Thanks Luke yes I just looked at the discussion thread and saw the date :bang:, I'll remove it, I have some more that were taken after the 6th

I've posted it already in another thread but I thought it was quite good, so I'll post it in here. It was taken last Wednesday.

2921_99387477888_581837888_2521137_3399240_n.jpg

Each to their own, ill assume thats directed at me ;)

Not directed at you per se, but must admit that you're shot prompted me to express my thoughts on Street Photography when commenting on why I liked the two that I mentioned. As you say, it's very much each to their own and again shows how diverse peoples' creativity and interpretations are :)

Not directed at you per se, but must admit that you're shot prompted me to express my thoughts on Street Photography when commenting on why I liked the two that I mentioned. As you say, it's very much each to their own and again shows how diverse peoples' creativity and interpretations are :)

Yeah very true, also depends what mood im in, give it a week and ill be doing something else :) Anyway im off to town to jump in front of someone :)

Yeah very true, also depends what mood im in, give it a week and ill be doing something else :) Anyway im off to town to jump in front of someone :)

I find if I'm on my own then the 70-200mm is better because I'm at a distant and the shots captured are very relaxed of people going about there day. If I'm with a few friends then the adrenalin and ego is flowing and I can get in there with a 50mm and get some more gritter stuff with more expression. Street photography has so many styles and tastes but that's why I love it and find it worlds apart from my Landscape stuff. (y)

hey, ive just checked mine on my monitor at work, and it seems alot darker then mine at home, (better quailty at work) does the comp allow for it to be edited?

When does this close? I'm at a festival from Friday and I'm sure I could catch something interesting there :)

I wasnt going to enter as i had no shots, but remembered i took one street pic on a roll of film bouncing around the desk i was gonna throw away.. was test shot for manual focusing on moving underground train,lol, better than not entering at all

cheers luke..i'm rather pleased with it,probably my best to date.i've got quite a few shots to process,and will put them on a separate thread when i get a chance (y)

Im gonna go to Brighton tomorrow to find some characters. Street photography is becoming an addiction!

Im gonna go to Brighton tomorrow to find some characters. Street photography is becoming an addiction!

it is very enjoyable indeed :D.camden is great for the street stuff...lots of opportunities there...you would love it ;)

when i've finished processing the others,i put up a link for you to look at (y)

did you get any street stuff done at greenwich?

it is very enjoyable indeed :D.camden is great for the street stuff...lots of opportunities there...you would love it ;)

when i've finished processing the others,i put up a link for you to look at (y)

did you get any street stuff done at greenwich?

Only a couple in Oxford Street area and one on the train. they are posted in my thames barrier thread. I look forward to seeing more of yours once you have processed mate.

blinkerz, yours is definitely my favourite. I could tell there was something unique about it (ie - taken on film) at first glance. :)

Back