Street Shots From London

Name
Lloyd
Edit My Images
Yes

These street shots were either shot on the Hexar or Leica over the past three months or so, enjoy:

scan1112050001.jpg

scan1112050003.jpg

The Hexar's AF doesn't focus through glass sometimes, so you often end up with a ghostly blur behind the glass

scan1112050004.jpg

scan1112050005.jpg

scan1112050007.jpg

Analog vs. Digital

scan1112050009.jpg

Camden scooterbar. This same shot has probably been taken hundreds of times.​

scan1201130007.jpg

Two different uniforms

scan1201130009.jpg

Got caught!

scan1201130010.jpg

Heimlich manoeuvre

scan1201130013.jpg

I'm being watched. Didn't notice the sign until I scanned the shot in, coincidences like that make me smile a lot.

scan1201130014.jpg

She's either really funny or he fancies her a lot.

That's it, I've got another seven rolls to develop now. All shot on Kodak Tri-X, developed in Diafine at around ISO 1250-1600.​

Brilliant captures! Really caught the atmosphere well. I don't usually like street work that much, but I can really appreciate these :)

A lot of pics to go through, so feedback will be limited to just a few.

generally they're well exposed nice shots, capturing urban life with nice depth of field and good tones.

In particular I really like the picture of the row of scooters.

The two old guys is a great subject, but I'd have loved to see a shot from a step or two further to your left to make them more the subject and get more of their faces in, also maybe cropped in closer on their faces - seems a lot of character that is being missed and the background doesn't seem to really add to the image, maybe try a portrait crop to the image to eliminate some of it.

Also the image of the men waiting at the airport terminal, I'd have liked to see more of the Heathrow sign in the background, and while I like the almost silhouetted look, I'd be curious to see how a little longer exposure or maybe a bit of extra light to better capture their detail would have looked.

Overall though a nice set of pics with a good technical eye capturing a range of subjects.

A lot of pics to go through, so feedback will be limited to just a few.

generally they're well exposed nice shots, capturing urban life with nice depth of field and good tones.

In particular I really like the picture of the row of scooters.

The two old guys is a great subject, but I'd have loved to see a shot from a step or two further to your left to make them more the subject and get more of their faces in, also maybe cropped in closer on their faces - seems a lot of character that is being missed and the background doesn't seem to really add to the image, maybe try a portrait crop to the image to eliminate some of it.

Also the image of the men waiting at the airport terminal, I'd have liked to see more of the Heathrow sign in the background, and while I like the almost silhouetted look, I'd be curious to see how a little longer exposure or maybe a bit of extra light to better capture their detail would have looked.

Overall though a nice set of pics with a good technical eye capturing a range of subjects.

Thanks for the detailed C&C on those photos! Regarding the two smokers, I do have an earlier version where I am a step to the left, but sadly they aren't perfectly in sync with each other. For the airport shot there wasn't much I could do, I was sitting down and having coffee with my father. The reason I chose to silhouette them was to emphasise their similar forms, although I could try some dodging to see what I can bring out of the negative.

I think Opening image is pretty good as it captures all the elements of a good street shot, but I really love the scooter capture...Well spotted and captured ! :)

Thanks Javier, interesting choice of preference, I felt that it was a bit too touristy myself. Funny that. :)

I really like them.

1 question though, when you do this sort of work is it simply a case of whip out the camera and shoot what ever you want ? I am in London due to my job but I can never seem to find the nerve to pull out my camera and take candids / random people shots. I mostly have this fear that someone will clock what I am doing and stove my head in or accuse me of being a stalker or worse ?

wildman said:
I really like them.

1 question though, when you do this sort of work is it simply a case of whip out the camera and shoot what ever you want ? I am in London due to my job but I can never seem to find the nerve to pull out my camera and take candids / random people shots. I mostly have this fear that someone will clock what I am doing and stove my head in or accuse me of being a stalker or worse ?

Thanks! :)

I always have the camera out when I have some free time or walking around London (say from my uni campus to the nearest tube station). That way I'm always ready and people around me can see I have a camera, therefore they can expect me to take photos. It's more attention grabbing if you're sitting there and suddenly pull a camera out. Getting over that fear of being judged is the biggest hurdle, but just throw yourself into it - you'll find that most people in the city don't care what you're doing. If you shoot with a frame of mind that you're getting caught, people will assume that you're up to no good! Whenever I get confronted (very rare, it's only happened once, most other interactions are just jokey, light hearted ones), I just say I was checking if my focus was working or seeing what the light was like. Although I actually have a project I'm working on now so I talk about that.

Thanks! :)

I always have the camera out when I have some free time or walking around London (say from my uni campus to the nearest tube station). That way I'm always ready and people around me can see I have a camera, therefore they can expect me to take photos. It's more attention grabbing if you're sitting there and suddenly pull a camera out. Getting over that fear of being judged is the biggest hurdle, but just throw yourself into it - you'll find that most people in the city don't care what you're doing. If you shoot with a frame of mind that you're getting caught, people will assume that you're up to no good! Whenever I get confronted (very rare, it's only happened once, most other interactions are just jokey, light hearted ones), I just say I was checking if my focus was working or seeing what the light was like. Although I actually have a project I'm working on now so I talk about that.

You are exactly right. The biggest mistake I always tell people is not to be sneaky. Sneaky equals creepy.

There are a lot of shots but I'll try to leave some feedback and comments on the ones that came to me.

#1 - nice capture. Dust line on the Underground map in top left drew my eye though.
#2 - I know the sort of picture you were going for, it feels so close but I think a slight crop out of the second lift creeping in on the right hand side just to clean the borders a bit.
#5 - upping the highlights on these so the faces of the people are clearer would enhance this I think (disclaimer: I'm on an uncalibrated monitor, but in some ways that is actually better as this is what most people will be looking on)
#8 - I know this was probably taken in the moment, but slightly more of their bodies would frame this picture slightly better IMO. Again, it's in the moment, but just my thought on it.
#9 - like this. It's slightly wonky (needs a slight clockwise rotation) just to straighten up the lines.
#10 - like 5, although I guess you may have been going for shadows/silhouette here.
#11 - really nice capture.
#13 - so-so photo, but great caption.

Lloyd, I like these, they're 'clever' ;).

Nearly every frame has a 'hook' element to it, which makes the viewer (eventually) realise just what it was that the photogapher saw and why he (i.e. you) pushed the shutter button. That's just as it should be with this kind of candid photography (y). Far too much 'street' photography posted here (including mine) is just the 'point and hope' variety, which really dillutes the genre, IMHO :|.

The themes of repetition, 'recognition' (of a particular focal point/situation) and pure documentation are the three that I see at work here.

Frankly, you deserve to own a Leica, if this is how you're going to use it :D.

Very, very good work, IMO :clap:.

Last edited:
There are a lot of shots but I'll try to leave some feedback and comments on the ones that came to me.

#1 - nice capture. Dust line on the Underground map in top left drew my eye though.
#2 - I know the sort of picture you were going for, it feels so close but I think a slight crop out of the second lift creeping in on the right hand side just to clean the borders a bit.
#5 - upping the highlights on these so the faces of the people are clearer would enhance this I think (disclaimer: I'm on an uncalibrated monitor, but in some ways that is actually better as this is what most people will be looking on)
#8 - I know this was probably taken in the moment, but slightly more of their bodies would frame this picture slightly better IMO. Again, it's in the moment, but just my thought on it.
#9 - like this. It's slightly wonky (needs a slight clockwise rotation) just to straighten up the lines.
#10 - like 5, although I guess you may have been going for shadows/silhouette here.
#11 - really nice capture.
#13 - so-so photo, but great caption.

Many thanks for the crit, I think for no5 the meter on the Hexar was fooled so the people were much more underexposed than expected, I just had to post it because of the juxtaposition.

Lloyd, I like these, they're 'clever' ;).

Nearly every frame has a 'hook' element to it, which makes the viewer (eventually) realise just what it was that the photogapher saw and why he (i.e. you) pushed the shutter button. That's just as it should be with this kind of candid photography (y). Far too much 'street' photography posted here (including mine) is just the 'point and hope' variety, which really dillutes the genre, IMHO :|.

The themes of repetition, 'recognition' (of a particular focal point/situation) and pure documentation are the three that I see at work here.

Frankly, you deserve to own a Leica, if this is how you're going to use it :D.

Very, very good work, IMO :clap:.

Thanks Andy! I've been questioning why take photos much more often now, if the light isn't interesting or if there isn't a hook then I don't bother nowadays. I think poring over photobooks has helped me a lot in that regard. :)

Many thanks for the crit, I think for no5 the meter on the Hexar was fooled so the people were much more underexposed than expected, I just had to post it because of the juxtaposition.

Indeed, it's fun when stuff like that gets onto your negatives. They are a decent batch of images (and certainly better than what I can muster up), just the little things y'know? Any particular photobooks you can recommend?

I'm using Tri-X rated between 400 to 1600, developed in Diafine.

:naughty: Fantastic news for me! I ordered some Diafine and Tri-X 400 last week (should arrive today) and I was really curious to know how much grain there would be if I pushed it to 1000 or 1250. Looking at your shots, the answer must be, "not much at all" :D.

How long do you keep the film in solutions A and B for, Lloyd :thinking:?

Indeed, it's fun when stuff like that gets onto your negatives. They are a decent batch of images (and certainly better than what I can muster up), just the little things y'know? Any particular photobooks you can recommend?

Right now I'm quite inspired by Frank's The Americans, but that's quite hard to find right now for some reason. I go back to Snaps by Elliot Erwitt quite often, it's quite a good overview of his work, I think that's the book that taught me to spot visual hooks.

:naughty: Fantastic news for me! I ordered some Diafine and Tri-X 400 last week (should arrive today) and I was really curious to know how much grain there would be if I pushed it to 1000 or 1250. Looking at your shots, the answer must be, "not much at all" :D.

How long do you keep the film in solutions A and B for, Lloyd :thinking:?

Diafine + Tri-X is amazing, even more so on medium format. :D The negatives will come out having a low contrast though (especially compared to using something like Rodinal), but it just gives you a lot of flexibility with setting a tone curve. I've been using the same solution for about 3 months now, I've put about 20 rolls through it. It looks quite dirty now (need to run it through some filter paper) but it's still working perfectly. I might buy a gallon kit soon as I'm starting to dev my film in larger batches haha.

These held my attention. And that's the important thing with street photography like these. Good stuff :)

Right now I'm quite inspired by Frank's The Americans, but that's quite hard to find right now for some reason. I go back to Snaps by Elliot Erwitt quite often, it's quite a good overview of his work, I think that's the book that taught me to spot visual hooks.

Diafine + Tri-X is amazing, even more so on medium format. :D The negatives will come out having a low contrast though (especially compared to using something like Rodinal), but it just gives you a lot of flexibility with setting a tone curve. I've been using the same solution for about 3 months now, I've put about 20 rolls through it. It looks quite dirty now (need to run it through some filter paper) but it's still working perfectly. I might buy a gallon kit soon as I'm starting to dev my film in larger batches haha.

I just did ;) - half a gallon was 20 Euros and a full gallon, 27 Euros :shrug:.

Where did you buy it from? That's a pretty good price for a gallon.

EDIT: And thanks Ryan!

Last edited:
Where did you buy it from? That's a pretty good price for a gallon.

EDIT: And thanks Ryan!

I tend to get all of my film and chems from these people ...

Link ...

They're sometimes a bit slow to deliver and communicating delays to customers is not their strong point :cautious:, but they offer a good range of stuff at cheap prices.

Here's the Diafine ;) ... Link ...

Last edited:
Thanks, it works out to be £15 cheaper to get it from there, definitely going to use them when I don't need stuff in a hurry.

Back