String monopod

Made one back in the 80’s, was going to get some made and market them but life got in the way.

Dunno what the technique's worth (have never tried it). I suspect not a lot, because for it to work in principle you have to tension the string by straining upwards, and the stress of that will likely provoke body movement, whereas with a conventional monopod not only is the pod rigid but also gravity is your free assistant.

You can also use the camera strap around your body to act as a brave using the same tension technique.

There are many potential sources of (especially hand-held) camera movement - breathing, pulse, muscular tension, wind, mechanical vibration ...

My gut feeling aided by experience is that a heavier camera helps to counter these - it has more inertia.

Thus a Nikon D8xx is better than an Olysonic M43.

But hasn't vibration reduction in lenses / bodies largely superseded such concerns?

Why is this thread in lighting + studio, by the way?

Last edited:
There are many potential sources of (especially hand-held) camera movement - breathing, pulse, muscular tension, wind, mechanical vibration ...

My gut feeling aided by experience is that a heavier camera helps to counter these - it has more inertia.

Thus a Nikon D8xx is better than an Olysonic M43.

But hasn't vibration reduction in lenses / bodies largely superseded such concerns?

Why is this thread in lighting + studio, by the way?
I wasn't really sure where to put it, I thought that as it is a tripod.

I tried this out many years ago and it does work to a degree. I found that using elastic cord was more effective than string as the elastic damped my body movements. Then I bought a monopod which worked better and had the advantage that people didn't give me such odd looks. :naughty:

I tried this out many years ago and it does work to a degree. I found that using elastic cord was more effective than string as the elastic damped my body movements. Then I bought a monopod which worked better and had the advantage that people didn't give me such odd looks. :naughty:
I doubt the whales will give odd looks!!

Nahh, they stiill give me odd looks whatever I'm using... :thinking:

More expensive!

Something like THIS and a length of string with a loop on the end would do just as good a job.

Yep the old string was great when i used it years ago.:D

Back