Stripbox

Name
ciaran
Edit My Images
Yes
Planning on buying some stripboxes, anyone any idea of quality of below boxes?

Lencarta 23x91 (no grid)
Godox 22x90

Or umbrella style
Phot-r 22x90
Pixapro 30x90

Was going for lencarta but lack of grid puts me off.

I bought Phot R, but I will say that most things I’ve used strip boxes for (bottles) the grids would show in the specular highlights.

Thanks Phil, what was the quality like, worth the cost? How good is the diffusion

I have a range of the Pixapro strip and softboxes, and I have to say that whilst they’re really easy to open/close the quality isn’t great. I don’t think I’d buy them again if I was starting from scratch. They always come up a bit smaller than the stated size as well, which is annoying.

Agree with Phil’s comment about the grids being pretty clear in the specular highlights. That’s a grid rather than a manufacturer thing, though.

Last edited:
OK, will scrub pixapro from the list, only need grid for hair light, without for headshots.
Haven't done any product photos

Last edited:
Planning on buying some stripboxes, anyone any idea of quality of below boxes?

Lencarta 23x91 (no grid)
Godox 22x90

Or umbrella style
Phot-r 22x90
Pixapro 30x90

Was going for lencarta but lack of grid puts me off.
23 x 91 is designed for use with flashgun, not studio flash - is that what you want? If so, then your options are limited
Strip softboxes are very useful for portrait work, but bigger is better, but bigger doesn't work with flashguns.

Some people do use them as a hairlight but frankly I don't see the point, a reflective silver umbrella is probably a better tool than a softbox for this, my old trick was to use it partially collapsed, with a clothes peg holding it partly open, partly to limit the spread of light and partly to create an uneven light.

But the best tool of all is a 20-degree honeycomb https://www.lencarta.com/lencarta-20-degree-universal-honeycomb-for-7-standard-reflectors

If you want to use one with a flashgun you will also need a s-fit adapter https://www.lencarta.com/godox-s2-speedlight-flash-bracket-with-bowens-s-type-mount and a standard reflector https://www.lencarta.com/7-standard-reflector

Gary on the lencarta website there are two soft boxes the same dimensions one for flashgun/speedlight and one for studio flash.
I was going to use my smart flash with it not speedlight. Unless the dimensions on the website are wrong. ( not larger pro fold one).

Thanks for the tip for the honeycomb, looks like thet will fit the bill just nicely.

Gary on the lencarta website there are two soft boxes the same dimensions one for flashgun/speedlight and one for studio flash.
I was going to use my smart flash with it not speedlight. Unless the dimensions on the website are wrong. ( not larger pro fold one).

Thanks for the tip for the honeycomb, looks like thet will fit the bill just nicely.
Well, in that case just get the honeycomb for use as a hairlight, you won't need the other bits.

If you want a softbox as a key light, go for a square or octa one.

IMO both Godox and Phot-r are crap, and for my own reasons I don't comment on Pixapro.

I use a phot R folding octa softbox which has a honeycomb grid etc.
I've been more than happy with mine and have no issues regarding quality etc....

Last edited:
I have a range of the Pixapro strip and softboxes, and I have to say that whilst they’re really easy to open/close the quality isn’t great. I don’t think I’d buy them again if I was starting from scratch. They always come up a bit smaller than the stated size as well, which is annoying.

Agree with Phil’s comment about the grids being pretty clear in the specular highlights. That’s a grid, rather than a Pixapro thing, though.
I noticed that too Tony - I bought 2 "30x120" softboxes from them as the ones they had on their stand at the Photo show had stitched grids. Not only did they come with the usual cheap slotted grids, they were actually 27x120 too. They are identical to the ones Bessel sell. Also, on one of them, the speedring was locked solid and needed some adjustment with an angle grinder to get it to rotate. They do the job though, and did come in thick zip-up bags rather than the thin drawstring jobs that most softboxes come with.

I noticed that too Tony - I bought 2 "30x120" softboxes from them as the ones they had on their stand at the Photo show had stitched grids. Not only did they come with the usual cheap slotted grids, they were actually 27x120 too. They are identical to the ones Bessel sell. Also, on one of them, the speedring was locked solid and needed some adjustment with an angle grinder to get it to rotate. They do the job though, and did come in thick zip-up bags rather than the thin drawstring jobs that most softboxes come with.
Yes, the speedring mounting plate is a bit rubbish, isn't it?

I'd really like to replace them all with Westcott equivalents, Owen, but the cost of importing the Westcotts is eye-watering so I've not bothered. I'm also being tempted by the Rotalux stripboxes, which are fantastic quality (I should have bought them in the first instance). However, the cost of change, with speedrings, is over £500 less whatever I could sell the Pixapro kit for, so I'm not rushing into it.

Last edited:
23 x 91 is designed for use with flashgun, not studio flash - is that what you want? If so, then your options are limited
Strip softboxes are very useful for portrait work, but bigger is better, but bigger doesn't work with flashguns.

Some people do use them as a hairlight but frankly I don't see the point, a reflective silver umbrella is probably a better tool than a softbox for this, my old trick was to use it partially collapsed, with a clothes peg holding it partly open, partly to limit the spread of light and partly to create an uneven light.

But the best tool of all is a 20-degree honeycomb https://www.lencarta.com/lencarta-20-degree-universal-honeycomb-for-7-standard-reflectors

If you want to use one with a flashgun you will also need a s-fit adapter https://www.lencarta.com/godox-s2-speedlight-flash-bracket-with-bowens-s-type-mount and a standard reflector https://www.lencarta.com/7-standard-reflector
Gridded stripboxes actually work really well as a hairlight/kicker, Garry. Here's one example (actually shot using 3 stripboxes) - the light is much more controllable than it would be with an umbrella.

cedfe0afdfcb23c04e32c6994b0e4112.jpg

Last edited:
Gridded stripboxes actually work really well as a hairlight/kicker, Garry. Here's one example (actually shot using 3 stripboxes) - the light is much more controllable than it would be with an umbrella.

cedfe0afdfcb23c04e32c6994b0e4112.jpg
I hate to disagree, but that light really isn't lighting his hair:)

And I only mentioned a reflective umbrella as a viable alternative. Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. The umbrella is typically only opened to about the point where there is the beginning of spring resistance, then clip a clothes peg to the shaft to stop it self-closing. The light is then very uneven, fairly small and very controlled, which works well for people who actually have hair.

But a honeycomb is even better, for most people, most of the time. When it fails, it's because the subject is moving around too much and needs a less controlled light source.

I hate to disagree, but that light really isn't lighting his hair:)

And I only mentioned a reflective umbrella as a viable alternative. Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. The umbrella is typically only opened to about the point where there is the beginning of spring resistance, then clip a clothes peg to the shaft to stop it self-closing. The light is then very uneven, fairly small and very controlled, which works well for people who actually have hair.

But a honeycomb is even better, for most people, most of the time. When it fails, it's because the subject is moving around too much and needs a less controlled light source.
Yeah, that could work. Too much faff for me, though, when there's something purpose-made and easily available (and gives you other lighting options in a session whilst maintaining a good level of control over everything).

I have a pair of the 35 x 160 Godox ones with honeycombs: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godox-Softbox-35x160cm-Honeycomb-FW35x160/dp/B07GR52XXG

I wouldn't consider getting them any smaller than this as bigger is always better IME. I got rid of my smaller softboxes (except a pair of 90cm ones) and mainly use 150cm ones now.

I've not found any problem with them in use and find that the light drop-off toward the outer edges is manageable, especially considering the price.

They're easy enough to put together, but like all these cheapo boxes are a pig to take down again and would probably be easily damaged with regular dismantling.

If you want top quality results that can't be faulted, you'd need to spend a bit more: https://broncolor.swiss/products/softbox-30-x-180-cm-1-x-5-9?variant=3383 You'll need to pay extra for the honeycombs though: https://broncolor.swiss/products/light-grid-40-for-softbox-30-x-180-1-x-5-9?variant=7341

Last edited:
Back