Strobes. What do I need?

Try just putting the sigma into manual when using that slave thing.

That's just it though, the Sigma doesn't really work with remote triggers too well in manual mode mate. Them Sigma's are stubborn as a mule I say :D

I've heard the 580 is much nicer but thats a bit pricey at the mo :)

Picture1.jpg

Hi, I don't don't know if this is any help but this shot was done with 2 SB600 with soft boxes on lightstands and triggered with skyports. I prefer softboxes to umbrellas I just think the light is better and smother, could be just me though.
Exposed for the dusky sky at 1/160 @ f6.3, syncd the camera to the flash for 1/160 then used one SB to her right to light up her face @ 1/32 and one to my left to catch the rest of her body @ 1/64, a bit of trial and error on power settings to get it right. Used ISO 400 with 28 lens. This was for her portfolio but if it was a cover shot I would have used a tripod and dropped the ISO down further to keep it as clean as possible.

All the kit is light and portable...and cheap. Hope this is of any use and best of luck with the shoot.

Iain

I've heard the 580 is much nicer but thats a bit pricey at the mo :)

Indeed, but if your just after a flash that can be fired remotely in full manual then ancient nikon jobbies are a good option, around £70 for an SB-28, sometimes the prices vary, up to £100 but that's silly. 70 nicker is fair enough.

That's just it though, the Sigma doesn't really work with remote triggers too well in manual mode mate. Them Sigma's are stubborn as a mule I say :D

I remember reading something about this before, it requires a slightly higher trigger voltage than other flashes which is why I think you should try the sigma on the camera and the canon fitted to the slave.

Picture1.jpg

Hi, I don't don't know if this is any help but this shot was done with 2 SB600 with soft boxes on lightstands and triggered with skyports. I prefer softboxes to umbrellas I just think the light is better and smother, could be just me though.
Exposed for the dusky sky at 1/160 @ f6.3, syncd the camera to the flash for 1/160 then used one SB to her right to light up her face @ 1/32 and one to my left to catch the rest of her body @ 1/64, a bit of trial and error on power settings to get it right. Used ISO 400 with 28 lens. This was for her portfolio but if it was a cover shot I would have used a tripod and dropped the ISO down further to keep it as clean as possible.

All the kit is light and portable...and cheap. Hope this is of any use and best of luck with the shoot.

Iain

Sorry to jump in on this topic.

With use of the strobes in this shot, how comes the floor isn't lite up from the direction of the strobe? Is it just because softboxes were used? or is it because the power outputs on the strobes were so low?

Thanks.

Fantastic! How exciting!!!

First watch this! It explains all the doodads and thingamabobs and how to sup them together. Stuff you may already know but it's a great video.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKAD7leNOVY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKAD7leNOVY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Then here's a few places where you can buy the gear from:

Stands

Umbrella Clamp/Swivel

Brollies

cold shoe adaptor

It would be nice to buy it all from one place but chances are slim.

Cheap triggers if you need them, would be cactus v2s's, run a search on ebay, loads of sellers have them. They are fairly hit and miss though mate.
If you want 1000% reliability from a trigger then either Pocket Wizards, Elinchrom Skyports or Bowens Pulsars are the best bet.
I used cactus triggers for a while but after chancing them on a commission (stray radio waves can set them off) I havent used them.
I found a good deal on some wizards and they have never, ever let me down, two AA's last about 60 hours in one wizard.;)

Any questions I'd be happy to help Pete (y)

Totally off topic but the user name for the stands on ebay sounds quite bad. Have a look for yourself. I don't think photos do...

Choccy...

Ha. Photos kill ;) Got the stands next day so they did a good job :)

Yeah, they are quick, despite photoskill incorrectly labeling my address as Sweden instead of Finland, I still got the stands and brollies next day too. (y) Good sellers :clap:

Ok so due to work I haven't had time to test this stuff at all. I would rather not turn up to the shoot fiddling with gear that I'm unsure of. I mean, I have no idea how to control the 2nd flash yet and there is a chance that it may not even fire outdoors. So I'm going to get an off camera hotshoe on a cord. Camera on tripod, flash on stand. That way I can use the lightsphere, which does a pretty nice job imho, with the camera in portrait without getting nasty shadows. Strobes will have to wait.

Ok so due to work I haven't had time to test this stuff at all. I would rather not turn up to the shoot fiddling with gear that I'm unsure of. I mean, I have no idea how to control the 2nd flash yet and there is a chance that it may not even fire outdoors. So I'm going to get an off camera hotshoe on a cord. Camera on tripod, flash on stand. That way I can use the lightsphere, which does a pretty nice job imho, with the camera in portrait without getting nasty shadows. Strobes will have to wait.

Fair play Pete, sounds very rational. Better to be testing and exploring when clients ain't payin.

Have a good un (y)

Back